[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [16] | 

A Song of Ice and Fief (fan expansion for Fief 1429)» Forums » General

Subject: A Song of Ice and Fief (a Fief 1429 re-theme) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GOT [+] Fief [+] PrintAndPlay [+] [View All]
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Wow, thx a lot for the effort! I like them, they are big indeed, I will PM you to get the layered file and try to tweak it to make it a bit smaller...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Well.. as Pendragon was showing he had not been idle during christmas I decided to post my WIP as well

I have sunk already some long hours on this pic... I am not a pro and have no formal photoshop training so each small thing takes a looong time.

Below you can see the current status, map is 90% there (I still dont like the bishopric lines, some cities like Pyle Pyke are just made up as I did not find correct art for them), on the black space I will place another parchment and put the placeholders for lords, wardens and fiefdom title cards and event cards, full size cards should fit there.

The two parchments on top are the "The wall expansion" (crusades), there will be mini format cards for the wall missions and a mini card instead of a token for the attack on the wall /crusade status, on the right of the wilding tokens there will b a tracker to use during battles so no tokens have to be printed.

I hope you like it :-)

(Edit: The original pic is 4 mb and its compressed by BGG, I changed to geek images
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that looks amazing already.wowwowwow

"Pyle"? I think you mean Pyke or Wyl, the resolution of the posted image makes the names hard to read.

The colours of Dorne and the Stormlands are still rather close and you are right about the bishopric lines.

But overall, really astonishing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
MordredPendragon wrote:
Wow, that looks amazing already.wowwowwow

"Pyle"? I think you mean Pyke or Wyl, the resolution of the posted image makes the names hard to read.

The colours of Dorne and the Stormlands are still rather close and you are right about the bishopric lines.

But overall, really astonishing!

Try now :-)

u r right about dorne, I will ry some other color... the bishopric lines will be updated as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
It is super nice

Some comment however
Too much turn on the road make the map not easy to read.
We need a place to put calamity card, good card, title card token, tax token.

Here is a proposition (a quick paint modification to show what I meant):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I am rebuilding one of the side boards of the original game in the blank space, I did not think placing the cads on their respective bishoprics, if we do the large card format wont do for that, I am working on that format for now. We will have to reprint the event and disaster cards anyhow as the mini cards available for PNP do not match the size of the original fief cards, but I like the idea of having tokens placed ont he bishoprics thta have disasters as a reminder.

Will change the bishopric lines art if I find a way to draw lines in photoshop simmilar to the ones in the original board, also I dontt like the pink line, its tooo fairy tale-ish. I darkened dorne on pendragon suggestion already.

I love the idea of using valyrian blades for warden symbol, what should we use for fiefdoms? the crowns would do? do we have alternatives like seals with the name of the region or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I am not a fan of bigger card, the game already need a lot of room.

With this retheme, players will have two deck on their own.

That's mean in front of you can potentially have
four lords, the discard pile for lady the discard pile for lord the lord deck, the lady deck plus warden title or king or brother of the Night watch... that increase the size needed times 6 players, we really need small card.

I was thinking that the fortune deck was not changed at all in this retheme.

Using the mini allow us to use the fief crown counter of the base game. I suggest to keep close color for the map that the one use in the fief map (the crown color will match)

I always put the ''good weather'', '' Bountiful harvest'', ''plague'', ''Heavy rain'' and ''famine'' card on the map, because you need this intel during the movement phase and also the revolt card. I would like the an official emplacement for this card and the tax counter.
In addition that is a memo that for example a ''Bountiful harvest'' a allow to discard a famine.
A great location for tax counter is the same location as the fief title counter or the warden title card

Another reason why mini card are great.

Printer studio offer 1.75" x 2.5" size card (44.45mm x 63.5mm) and are available in packs of these quantities: 54, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, or 224 cards. Prices (currently) start at $4.39 for 54 cards
This is close to the actual card size used in Fief.

Small card allow to use A4/letter size as house board.

Again About the map
It is fantastic really
The road really need to go in different direction in case different play
er coming to the small location from different road. You need to know the player control witch road example the road from Winterfell to white harbor should start 90 degree from the one going to flint finger

No road should cross twice the warden border (like in Dorne), that will be a problem in case of heavy rain

I really do not like the extra connection in the riverland. Fief you usually try to stop enemy reinforcement (calvalcade) rather than not be able to reinforce yourself. I think this extra connection is in fact making the riverland harder to defend

We need to think about the bridge if that is the power you want to give to Tully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
sdric wrote:
I am not a fan of bigger card, the game already need a lot of room....

I am of two minds here, the bigger cards do fit the boardbut will be a hinder when placed on the board, we need big format lord cards though to be able to put the text in.

With my format there is no room for the disaster cards that are to be placed in the eastern bishoprics as ther e will be more stuff there... I might need to rethink it.

sdric wrote:

I was thinking that the fortune deck was not changed at all in this retheme.

It has not, only the lords deck has but the size of the printable mini cards and the original fief card size does not match

sdric wrote:

A great location for tax counter is the same location as the fief title counter or the warden title card

I dont understand this bit :-s

sdric wrote:

Small card allow to use A4/letter size as house board.

I will try a couple of combinations with it... if there is no way to manage it to a4 size then I am with you.

sdric wrote:

Again About the map
It is fantastic really
The road really need to go in different direction in case different play
er coming to the small location from different road. You need to know the player control witch road example the road from Winterfell to white harbor should start 90 degree from the one going to flint finger

No road should cross twice the warden border (like in Dorne), that will be a problem in case of heavy rain

I am reluctant to redraw the roads, it took me half a day to draw these with the help of an artist friend, I will try to change the bishopric lines instead, on the road control I see it makes it a bit more difficult I can try deleting a bit of the road to make it more clear...

sdric wrote:

I really do not like the extra connection in the riverland. Fief you usually try to stop enemy reinforcement (calvalcade) rather than not be able to reinforce yourself. I think this extra connection is in fact making the riverland harder to defend

I will delete it if that is the case, the idea is to make it easier to defend not harder.

sdric wrote:

We need to think about the bridge if that is the power you want to give to Tully.

Toll bridge power will be fixed to 2 deniers per turn not to bridge numebr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tinkered with GIMP again and I have come to the conclusion that large character cards only fit A4 if it is in upright format. Nevermind that the background is a bit blurry and the setup image is for Baratheon, this is a draft. So check this out.

Here is another one for Stark with another background and sans text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
That is a problem... table space is limited on the vertical side not on the horizontal... the only other option I see is to make the character cards on an horizontal layout so we can just transpose your structure...

Some news on my own, I spent the last day and a half on the sidebar that should go on the blank area, have a look. I am using small format cards for everything but the character cards (that forces large cards for fiefdom, wardenships, night watch...)

I integrated the expansions, the card on the right is the large format night watch marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
The text of noble attribute should be on the helping sheet or the house board not on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I don't agree. It makes no sense and will take too much room to have it on the house board, we are already stretched as we are.

So far we dont have helping sheet either. It needs to be on the character card, I will try some character card layouts when I have the time to see if a landscape character card is an option.

Also using a larger card is much more comfortable to use the "card underneath" system as it is easer to handle and the card on top weights more.

I am also thinking of adding reminder symbols to the "avatar" character card that goes on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Samberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go again. Another draft. I am sort of eating my words here, because it is A4 in landscape format with landscape large card slots. I am not sure what you meant in your mail about not needing the space of the square placeholders for the VP tokens. I know that we do not use tokens, but cards like in Fief (2011). Yet still you need space on the playermat so that these cards can actually stick out from underneath the character cards. Therefore I left the placeholders in so as to make sure that any combination of characters with titles fits the mat and to indicate which title cards go where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I meant the squares that are left in the intersection of the spaces for the cards that are placed underneath the characters.... but there nothing else to do with that space anyways...

I think that is the final format, I am reshaping everything so we can accomodate the landscape character cards. By the way in order to be able to use small cards (as we will in some cases) as underneath tokens, the large cards need to be 3,5 x 2,5 inches (small ones are 1,75 x 2,5)

I need the final draft in 250dpi btw... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I have finalized the alpha version of theboard, I changed the color schemes to resemble vanilla and created a placeholder for disaster cards.

This board assumes that the lord cards (and the titles going underneath) are printed in poker size, while the rest of the cards are mini size.

The riverlands road of debate has been removed in this version, bishopric lines also slightly altered to prevent crossing roads.

I am working on the cards that are not character cards at the moment... I hope to be able to have an update with them in a few days (I need to finish most of this while on christmas vacation!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
M0ebius wrote:
Why not chose the same labeling as in the rules
1.1 Alliance 1.2 Warden nomination 1.3...
Unless we change it in the rules, eventually we can also use roman number
Phase I
1 Alliance
2 Wardens..
Phase II
1 Draw
2 Calamities
3 Play card

Concerning the Noble card why not choose the mini card with only the name and the attribute. This way we can use the house board of the game, the title crown counter. And this will also be ''color wise'' with the color of your troops.

We only design an extension of the house card including
- the noble attribute explanation
- the house (attendant) power explanation
- the initial setup (room used then for the lady and lord house deck)
- additional room to include the tactical expansion.
- the sigil and word of the house for the background.

The mini card for the warden can that way be on the map. We play calamities and fortune card on top of it (with the valyrian blade icon visible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
sdric wrote:
M0ebius wrote:
Why not chose the same labeling as in the rules
1.1 Alliance 1.2 Warden nomination 1.3...
Unless we change it in the rules, eventually we can also use roman number
Phase I
1 Alliance
2 Wardens..
Phase II
1 Draw
2 Calamities
3 Play card

The numbering convention I am using is the one rein the original board, I just copied it, once the rules are finalized it is no problem to change it to match the rules, it will be easier to understand, I agree.

sdric wrote:

Concerning the Noble card why not choose the mini card with only the name and the attribute. This way we can use the house board of the game, the title crown counter. And this will also be ''color wise'' with the color of your troops...

For several reasons:
1: Its a lot of rules and it is tedious to have to revert to the help every time when it can be easily avoided.
2: The art is not always consistent, even though we have a good set of portraits and license to use them from the artist it is not complete and for some characters I'd rather use portraits based on the actual actors, I need space to have more freedom to accomodate these
3: We will be using the "card underneath" approach instead of tokens as cards are easier to print from home with a professional look, bigger caracter cards makes it easier to arrange this and its easier for other players to see your board and what you have played

On the colors, as there are more houses than colors I dont want to tie some houses to a concrete color for the tokens, obviouslly martell will tend to choose orange or yellow while tyrell will go for green if available but Id rather leave it open as there are a number of possible house combinations here. Maybe leaving some space in the player board to place a mini card that states the color of the plaer in the board is wise though... in any case as all the tokes will be staged on the player mat that will be indicative enough.

I like personalizing the player mats, it adds a lot more of theme flavour at a very low cost. Also having a mat in A4 format means anybody can print that one at home.

sdric wrote:

The mini card for the warden can that way be on the map. We play calamities and fortune card on top of it (with the valyrian blade icon visible)

I can always place a miniature of the card there, or just the sword, I was already playing with the approach but the final look seemed a bit too cluttered to me. Also I have not discarded using mini cards for the wardens as they can be placed vertically underneath the sides od the character board and the heights match that way. I need to finalize some of the card designs before having a conclusion on that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Micro update for today... the "attack on the wall" marker (call to crusade in vanilla), Mini format card.

Attack side

Silence Side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
About the mini Noble card ?
MOebius wrote:

For several reasons:
1: Its a lot of rules and it is tedious to have to revert to the help every time when it can be easily avoided.
I was thinking that the noble attribute are on the Family board not on the helping sheet. Displaying only the 8 Noble attribute of the family. (The actual family board seems close to A4 format for the width but not for the height).

MOebius wrote:

2: The art is not always consistent, even though we have a good set of portraits and license to use them from the artist it is not complete and for some characters I'd rather use portraits based on the actual actors, I need space to have more freedom to accommodate these
OK, but a landscape is not that easy for a character

MOebius wrote:

3: We will be using the "card underneath" approach instead of tokens as cards are easier to print from home with a professional look, bigger caracter cards makes it easier to arrange this and its easier for other players to see your board and what you have played
I like personalizing the player mats, it adds a lot more of theme flavour at a very low cost. Also having a mat in A4 format means anybody can print that one at home.
You have a point, but we could have A4 personalizing player mats and mini card

MOebius wrote:

I can always place a miniature of the card there, or just the sword, I was already playing with the approach but the final look seemed a bit too cluttered to me. Also I have not discarded using mini cards for the wardens as they can be placed vertically underneath the sides or the character board and the heights match that way. I need to finalize some of the card designs before having a conclusion on that...
The mini card allow to use the crown title token from the game.
Having the available title on the board is one of the very good idea of this reedition
The mini card for the warden title will be nice because they can be put on the map (in the location you choose for the calamities)
Note that in this place you can have potentially 3 cards :
ex : 3 calamities or 1 bountiful harvest, 1 good weather and plague

About the Tax token:
If the title card (warden) and fief title (token) are on the map
The natural location for the tax token are the location of the title as you can have only tax if the title is granted.

What I suggest in the location you design on the map.
Left : The north without a warden (the red card is on the map) having three calamities
Right : The north with a bountiful harvest and the warden of the north (blue player) taxing his region.

Calamities and tax token need to stay for all the turn because they can cause upraising or affect the gameplay like entering a plagued region.

An image of the board with calamities card and available title on it

About the board:
You should add square around town it helps to know which player controls the village.

About the family board:
You need 3 space above the Noble card (Member of the small council (Cardinal) + 2 Fief Titles or Mother of the dragon + 2 Fief Titles.)

We can manage 2 space above if the Mother of the Dragon becomes a vertical title and the Member of the small council becomes a square title.
Here is Renly Baratheon, Warden of the East and Master of the laws and Daenerys targaryen Mother of the Dragons (just missing the name and attribute on the Noble card).

A square title without a VP already exist (the queen).
Consequently, The Hand of the King looses his Member of the small council title when become Hand of the King. (It was one of the option P. Moucheboeuf proposes : http://fief3.fr/2012/11/05/de-la-mitre-a-la-tiare/)
The good thing is that if the High Septon becomes hand of the King he loose the High Septon title.

The square title will be :
King, Queen, Hand of the King, Member of small council (x4), Lord commander of the Night watch.
You can have only one of them.

The vertical title will be :
Brother of the Night watch, Warden and Mother of the dragons
You can have up two Warden title or be Brother of the Night watch or be Mother of the dragons (exclusive or).

The horizontal title will be :
Fief title including the beyond the wall Objective (Outremer)
You can have up two fief titles.

Note : A queen regent with two fief titles can become Mother of the dragons

That also clarify that you cannot be Member of small council twice.

Member of the small council icons come from Game of throne : the card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Sdric your proposals are interesting, I have already designed another option I will post soon though using poker sized cards, you have a point on the warden cards though about using smll format cards so these can be placed in the bishoprics. Lets compare once I have it ready

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty awesome re-theme.

For those that do this kind of stuff, how do you go about creating the physical board? Do you just print it at Kinkos or something?

Also, for the cards, artscow or whatnot?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Adonai_80 wrote:

For those that do this kind of stuff, how do you go about creating the physical board? Do you just print it at Kinkos or something?

thanks!

That's the idea, the board will be 70x90 cm, something easy to print in any printing store, I will create a project in printerstudio or artscow with all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Wall Missions done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M0ebius wrote:
Adonai_80 wrote:

thanks!

That's the idea, the board will be 70x90 cm, something easy to print in any printing store, I will create a project in printerstudio or artscow with all the cards.

How and what would you use to mount it on a board? What material would you use for the board? I haven't found anything that feels like a standard board game board to glue this stuff to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I have not either, all suggestions are welcome.

So far in other occasions I have just printed it on a big paper and rolled it as a poster to put away. The "poster board" can be held in place by putting the player boards on top of the edges...

I plan to print the layer boards in thin cardboard A4 paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [16] |