Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just noticed that Durham has its first, non-GW dedicated shop for boardgames (that I can remember, at any rate). It's called Colosseum Rex and seems to be an offshoot from a comics shop in Sunderland. It's on Framwellgate Waterside, the little street coming off North Road just before North Road meets Framwellgate Bridge (next to Chaps Barbers). They don't have much stock yet, but the owner says more will be on its way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbutt 2001
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember the dude running the place was fired from Travelling Man for stealing cash and stock, he is extremely unscrupulous and even threatened the guys who opened up the Flipside Cafe in Sunderland with a beating.

The guy doesn't deserve our custom and frankly is lucky not to have ended up in prison. Instead support the decent stores, Dark Matter Cafe in Durham, Flipside in Sunderland and Travelling Man in Newcastle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbutt2001 wrote:
Just remember the dude running the place was fired from Travelling Man for stealing cash and stock, he is extremely unscrupulous and even threatened the guys who opened up the Flipside Cafe in Sunderland with a beating.

The guy doesn't deserve our custom and frankly is lucky not to have ended up in prison. Instead support the decent stores, Dark Matter Cafe in Durham, Flipside in Sunderland and Travelling Man in Newcastle.
[citation needed]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard this as well, from multiple sources, but before we tarnish the guts reputation I think some evidence is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Watson
msg tools
I can't testify to why he was fired from traveling man, but I can testify to him been nothing but honest in my dealings with him at his sunderland shop.he is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful, as for him muscleing out the competition, I doubt he would use such dirty practices, or be daft enough to go round himself. Having been to all of these stated places I think they all have there own pros and cons. Give the place a try if you don't like it don't go back, it's your choice as a consumer were u spend your cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john hunter
msg tools
Yup. I'm calling crap on this. The guy left travelling man of his own accord after setting travelling man up in Newcastle. He's one of the best guys I know in the comic business and I find it hard to believe he'd threaten competition when I have heard him turn custom away. Methinks the rumour mill has worked over time here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick Google to see if I could find out what this guy has supposedly done, but the only mention I could find (besides this thread) was a post by Norbutt2001 here:

http://durhamdnd.forumotion.co.uk/t24-new-games-shop-in-durh...

Which has since been deleted by a moderator, for reasons of 'defamation'. It's Norbutt2001's one-and-only post on there, and he seems to have created his account specifically to post it. Hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wind
msg tools
I can only say as I find and as someone who frequents Flipside Gaming Cafe on Stockton Road in Sunderland, I have seen the guys there welcome in all ages, colours and creeds to the cafe whether they are there to buy or play a game or just in for a nice cup of tea or coffee.
Everyone there is helpful and pleasant and deserve some recognition regardless of what other shops owners have or have not done.
The best of luck to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
is this the same guy from Travelling Man who left to become a teacher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
The shop in Durham isn't great. The owner/manager seems friendly enough, up on his stuff and knows the games coming out etc. However, I've been in a few times now when he has been playing Magic with someone else, have browsed and left without being asked if I was ok, or needed anything. Stock levels haven't changed much in the past few month or so - no new releases, just some new second hand stuff. This may just be due to it being fairly new, but I was told that they'd be looking to get most new RPGs in, which is what I'm interested in, and there's been nothing in that respect. I've also been down three times on my lunch now, during opening hours, to find the store closed. And also once I left work early to pick something I'd seen there up, only to find it closed earlier than advertised on the shop door. That's pretty naff service...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thompson
msg tools
No, that's me. I am a teacher. It's exhausting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello
This is true as he was fired from stealing as i know this from someone who works in that area and is very knowledge.
upto you what you use this for
Also the customer service is terrible - i wouldnt use them now
a family member wanted to buy some items - insisted his post them!
i couldnt go to the store to collect!!
even though they and i live in sunderland
disgusting service wanting to get more cash from inflated postage charges
dont use this store is my opinon and from my experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello
This is true as he was fired from stealing as i know this from someone who works in that area and is very knowledge.
upto you what you use this for
Also the customer service is terrible - i wouldnt use them now
a family member wanted to buy some items - insisted his post them!
i couldnt go to the store to collect!!
even though they and i live in sunderland
disgusting service wanting to get more cash from inflated postage charges
dont use this store is my opinon and from my experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls