Popular Tags: [View All]
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW has its own sub-forum. Yucata has a sticky. No love for BoardGameArena?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd love a visible/frequented forum where I could just post

"Let's play Dixit live on BAJ now"
or "Teach me how to play Caylus on BGA now"
"Let's play Mr. Jack on the Hurrican site now"

Emphasis on the now.

This subforum is a ghost town. The chat room is a ghost town.
Dumping it in the General section under the specific game would quickly lead to unnecessary flooding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:

I think it is historical. BSW is either just older or was MUCH bigger earlier. Eurogames were called German games in the 90s and early 00s so Germany was the Powerhouse of boardgaming. While English speaking families all had Monopoly, German families had Settlers, Carcassone or something similar.

And so in the site refresh there may be a change to how this is handled, but it is a reminder, or DNA, of how gaming took off. There are other examples: look at the available emoticons here, under more emoticons are the ticket to ride trains, through the desert camels and power grid energy products. I don't see the houses icons from game of thrones, dominion money symbols or one night werewolf role shapes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

Emphasis on the now.

This subforum is a ghos town. The chat room is a ghost town.
Dumping it in the General section under the specific game would quickly lead to unnecessary flooding.

Meh, who'd want to play a game with you anyhow? I do think that is a fairly good idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

Emphasis on the now.

This subforum is a ghost town. The chat room is a ghost town.

What you want is not a forum, but a chatroom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
The chat room is a ghost town.

What chat room? irc://freenode/#boardgames is pretty active

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
What chat room? irc://freenode/#boardgames is pretty active

Well, I meant the BGG chatroom since we're on BGG. The IRC chat room does have some people in it, and I have had an occasional conversation and an even a game start there but it still has a lot less eyeballs on it than a forum that

dcorbin13 wrote:
What you want is not a forum, but a chatroom.

Either would do. Its more about how many eyeballs see it than people lounging around. A forum is probably more beneficial because in the chat room, once someone leaves for a game, they won't see any comments made while they're gone. A forum will hold the post longer than that. Which will also help when "right now" isn't an option when trying to organize a longer game or a higher player count.

For certain harder/longer/less popular games it may be better for the game page to have a subforum for online play that keeps front page visibility. I think there's a surprisingly high number of people who don't even realize which games you can play online and where. Some people might know BSW or BGA or Yucata or BAJ but not all 4, but even among those people I bet they don't know that games like Euphoria and Mr. Jack are playable elsewhere online. I bet I'm missing some too.

robbdaman wrote:
Meh, who'd want to play a game with you anyhow?

Since you volunteered, why don't you teach me how to play Troyes on BGA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't want to get into the middle of the forum vs chatroom thing... just addressing the idea of BGA having its own forum.

I think it would be a very good idea to have a forum specifically for both BGA and Yucata, and even maybe for BAJ (not sure how popular it is). I don't see any good reason BSW gets one and the other popular places don't - I'm sure there was a good reason at the time BSW was created, but I think it's also time that at least a couple of the other popular places had their own forums. (I also think it would be nice to move all the relevant threads to them as well, but that could take some work - perhaps at least some of the more recent threads.)

The sticky for Yucata is not a separate forum - it was a thread started for a very specific reason and we don't have a lot of general chat on it. It was requested to have it pinned and they did so. But it's not like having its own forum or anything.

Up right above the thread over to the right there's a link to "moderators." If you look through that and see who the appropriate person might be, you could make a request for this and it might get done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
robbdaman wrote:
Meh, who'd want to play a game with you anyhow?

Since you volunteered, why don't you teach me how to play Troyes on BGA?

I could, it's a good game (rather unique) but also the cards that come up can really make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to add that I think separate threads/forums for the different sites/interfaces is silly and pointless.

Most games are on only one of the sites. If I want to play Dixit, I can only go to BAJ. If I want to play Takenoko I can only go to BGA.

I prefer BGA for its live play and interface and BAJ is my second choice but if I really wanted to play a specific game or with specific people, I would gladly go to another site because all of them are free* except GameTableOnline but whatever.

Loyalty to a gaming site over the games or the players and therefore segregating the players looking for players is ridiculous.

*Yes, you can pay for memberships but those are optional for supporting the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I just want to add that I think separate threads/forums for the different sites/interfaces is silly and pointless.

Most games are on only one of the sites. If I want to play Dixit, I can only go to BAJ. If I want to play Takenoko I can only go to BGA.

I prefer BGA for its live play and interface and BAJ is my second choice but if I really wanted to play a specific game or with specific people, I would gladly go to another site because all of them are free* except GameTableOnline but whatever.

Loyalty to a gaming site over the games or the players and therefore segregating the players looking for players is ridiculous.

*Yes, you can pay for memberships but those are optional for supporting the site.

I'm trying really hard to start this with "you're entitled to your opinion" instead of "you're a twit," but having a hard time of it. The reason I'm choosing twit over opinion is that what you just stated doesn't sound like just an opinion of your preferences, but much like the people themselves are silly and ridiculous.

The OP never stated a reason for wanting a separate forum for BGA, and there are other reasons besides just looking for immediate gaming partners, like, oh, looking for something about the site without having to hunt down posts about that site? Does that reason meet with your approval or is that silly too?

This does not have to be about loyalty to any specific site, but there's nothing ridiculous about it, because to some of us, games aren't a lot of fun if the site or community don't suit us. Some people like the concept of "community," which apparently has zero meaning to you. You may have different preferences, but that doesn't make other people "ridiculous" just because they differ from your preferences. Those sound like the words of an egotist who has no concept that other people are different but are still valid.

But back to the point... not only is it OK for someone to have loyalty to a site (regardless of subject), but there are legit reasons each site could have its own forum, so people know where to find things about that site, even for people who go to many different sites.

Furthermore, no one suggested anything that segregated people. Many people are members of more than one site.

(And by the way, there is some crossover in terms of the games. In fact, when I joined BGA I was surprised by the number of games that I recognized from Yucata.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liallan wrote:

I'm trying really hard to start this with "you're entitled to your opinion" instead of "you're a twit," but having a hard time of it. The reason I'm choosing twit over opinion is that what you just stated doesn't sound like just an opinion of your preferences, but much like the people themselves are silly and ridiculous.

Um, ok? Not following the logic but it won't be the first time (today) I've been called a twit.

Liallan wrote:

The OP never stated a reason for wanting a separate forum for BGA, and there are other reasons besides just looking for immediate gaming partners, like, oh, looking for something about the site without having to hunt down posts about that site? Does that reason meet with your approval or is that silly too?

So, when a vague thread is posted about a topic, anything I say has to 100% be a direct response to the original post and can't include a generic statement? When I say "I'd just like to add..." I'm not sure why that would be a direct response to the OP. People often reply to other replies. Or just add comments related to the original topic.

Liallan wrote:

This does not have to be about loyalty to any specific site, but there's nothing ridiculous about it, because to some of us, games aren't a lot of fun if the site or community don't suit us. Some people like the concept of "community," which apparently has zero meaning to you. You may have different preferences, but that doesn't make other people "ridiculous" just because they differ from your preferences. Those sound like the words of an egotist who has no concept that other people are different but are still valid.

"Games aren't a lot of fun if the site or community don't suit us". Community = people, right? I specifically said I would gladly switch sites to play with people I wanted to play with. It seems we agree, but I realize that people can use more than one site. (Keep reading.) Or maybe we just disagree on the definition of community. I think its the people, and you think its the location?

Liallan wrote:

But back to the point... not only is it OK for someone to have loyalty to a site (regardless of subject), but there are legit reasons each site could have its own forum, so people know where to find things about that site, even for people who go to many different sites.

Except that none of the sites are big enough or their own forum on BGG. So might as well just lump them all together and if there's a thread about "how to do something on a specific site" it can get ignored the same way a person with a large group can ignore a thread about 2 player games in a specific game forum.

Liallan wrote:

Furthermore, no one suggested anything that segregated people. Many people are members of more than one site.

Separate threads/forum would be a form of segregation. My entire comment was just that I think its unnecessary. And look, you realize players can join more than one site too. So what exactly is the problem that makes me twitty? Is this really because I used the words "silly, pointless, and ridiculous" so you felt the need to form a rebuttal even though you agree with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

Separate threads/forum would be a form of segregation. My entire comment was just that I think its unnecessary. And look, you realize players can join more than one site too. So what exactly is the problem that makes me twitty? Is this really because I used the words "silly, pointless, and ridiculous" so you felt the need to form a rebuttal even though you agree with me?

Saying you feel something is "unnecessary" is not the same as saying it's silly and ridiculous, and for the people who think it's a good idea or want them, you're calling their idea silly and ridiculous.

And no we don't agree, because I don't find it silly, pointless or ridiculous to have separate forums. And for the record, I think a community is the site, the games and its people -- these all make up the site and I see nothing "ridiculous" about loyalty to a site (or two) when the site encompasses all of those. (Nor do I find anything ridiculous in someone going to various sites if that's what they choose to do, just as someone can stay one place if that's what they choose.)

(As a side note, I never said you couldn't address anyone else posting on the forum - I only said OP never gave a reason, and was pointing out some reasons, which include things other than looking for players.)

(A slight edit due to a confusion over the thing about chat vs forum, which isn't relevant anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:

BGA now has its own Guild and a BGA group for BGG users:
www.boardgamearena.com/#!group?id=1336035
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmc14 wrote:
sparr0 wrote:

Only years late, now we need one for Tabletopia too.

Or maybe BGG needs to revamp its ENTIRE gamers seeking gamers system so people can play games instead of just argue about them.

I'll shut up before I get accused of being a twit again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
gmc14 wrote:
sparr0 wrote:

Only years late, now we need one for Tabletopia too.

Or maybe BGG needs to revamp its ENTIRE gamers seeking gamers system so people can play games instead of just argue about them.

I'll shut up before I get accused of being a twit again.

Fairly certain the accusation will happen either way. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls