Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some friends and I played "Casey Joneski" this weekend, and we had some questions.

1. If the attacker starts with "15 armor units", and the attacker victory condition is to destroy the train then escape with "15 strength points" off the south edge of the map, is the game a tie when the attacker loses his first unit?

That seems like a lot of effort to set everything up if the victory conditions are that fragile!

To make the scenario more fair, we used the infantry option, which gives the attacker 15 points of infantry as well. My friend set up the infantry along the south edge of the map, moved them into the forest where they were protected, then had no intention of ever using them, except to escape them off the map after the train was destroyed, fulfilling his victory condition, now that he was able to lose his entire armor force. (Are we missing something here?)

2. What happens to the back half of the train when the front half is destroyed from ramming into an armor unit on the tracks? The tracks were cut, but then a GEV pulled onto the tracks "just to see what would happen".

One thought is that the front half of the train is destroyed, and the train's movement is now 0. The back half can still shoot it's 4/2 weapon, but can now never escape off the east edge of the map because of the wreckage in front of it, and the cut tracks.

3. Is there no way to repair the train tracks?!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Armor Units are individual counters ... Strength Points are the attack points on those counters. So 15 HVY Tanks would be 15 Armor Units, with a total strength point of 60 points (I hope I got those numbers right, I'm going off memory).

2. My take has always been the train is one unit, destroy the front, and you also destroy the rear (look up some train wreck vids on Youtube!). (Rule 9.03: front half destroyed = train destroyed. Rear half destroyed means front half may still be intact).

3. There are Engineer units in some versions of Ogre DE, you could in theory write a scenario for them to repair the tracks -- but in the base game that doesn't happen. Repairing tracks would likely have to occur after any battle, and as such aren't within the scope of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, the train rules state there is a locomotive on each end of the train (push-pull operation), but I suspect for the rear half to survive a ram on the front half, the train would have had to be at M0 at the time of the ram. If a moving train collided with an object on the tracks, then the whole train is destroyed just the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the strength value makes sense now. That should help next time we play it, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.