Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG [+] Geek_List_Useful [+] [View All]
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
http://boardgamemenu.com/ takes your BGG collection and generates a gaming menu.

For example, http://boardgamemenu.com/bradbeattie/5/ generates a menu for my profile for 5 players.

Thought you folks might find this useful.

Edit: Updated to be able to read in geeklists as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Enjoy a HotMayoSandwich ™ today!
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Wonderful job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really neat novelty. Actually more than a novelty, I think I'll bookmark and use it. Great job.

So, I've been wondering but never asked, is there an API or a web service on here that refurns data as JSON? That is also available for use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
There's a JSON wrapper (http://bgg-json.azurewebsites.net/), but I don't think it's officially supported. I'm just using the XML API (v2) and heavily caching the results so I don't bog down the BGG servers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. Although I hardly consider Glen More an entree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheila Kuchta
United States
Lincoln
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it! The menu format is such a fun idea. I will be using this a lot over the holidays. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Currently, the only thing splitting the two categories is time. 45 minutes or fewer go into appies. Everything else into entrees.

I could probably pull game weight into there to factor in, but I haven't bothered yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is quite good, but doesn't seem to list any wargames from my collection. Is it a work-in-progress?

Also, no main courses? I'm hungry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so rad. I like that it limits the selection, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Kotro wrote:
This is quite good, but doesn't seem to list any wargames from my collection. Is it a work-in-progress?

For performance reasons, games that it hasn't seen before have a small chance of being included. After seeing a game once, it remembers (caches) that game for 4 weeks. I don't want to slam the BGG servers.

Try it again in an hour or so. It's possible your wargames will start appearing.

Kotro wrote:

I think that's actually a regional dialect difference! In North America, an entree typically is the main course. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entr%C3%A9e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradbeattie wrote:
Kotro wrote:

For performance reasons, games that it hasn't seen before have a small chance of being included. After seeing a game once, it remembers (caches) that game for 4 weeks. I don't want to slam the BGG servers.

Try it again in an hour or so. It's possible your wargames will start appearing.

Kotro wrote:

I think that's actually a regional dialect difference! In North America, an entree typically is the main course. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entr%C3%A9e

Oh, cool. I was thinking of using this for game nights, and I often associate our gaming list with a meal, so we pick something light at first, something heavier after, then something to take over most of the night - if we have time, we even end up with dessert, which is party games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Cool. I've updated it to split light fare from entrees (46-90 minutes, 91+ minutes). Hopefully that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, I imagine it still needs some work though. For example, for 2 player I got:

Appetizer

Android: Netrunner
Race for the Galaxy
Ingenious

Light Fare

BattleLore
Stone Age
Village
Innovation

Entrées

Eldritch Horror
Tikal
Agricola
Mansions of Madness
Fury of Dracula

Good in a lot of ways, but I would think Mansions of Madness and Fury of Dracula (even Eldritch Horror) would be less recommended for 2 players. Maybe Last Night on Earth, Tash-Kalar, Tide of Iron, Horus Heresy..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah Gardens
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! This is so creative! Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Love it.
Nice work.

Kotro wrote:

Do it again. You'll get a different mix. Make sure the number of players is set correctly to offer you wargames. Not too many play with 4 players.

Kotro wrote:

Entrees are main courses.
One of those inexplicable uses of a word--one that doesn't match it's literal meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly P
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea. It reminds me of how film directory Robert Rodriguez entertains. He loves to eat and cook so he keeps a menu in his kitchen of the best meals that he makes so that he and his guests can pick the best meal that suits their group:

http://jdrewscott.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/rodriguez-puerco-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harriman
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
An example of a male Post-American Croach (Periplanta oithicus), in the traditional garb of his people. His afro and false beard mark him as a priest of Boss Rob.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making this, it looks like a fun way to give guests an idea of what games are available to play, and remove some of the (admittedly fun) job of explaining which games do what.

I've also noticed that you've updated it in the last few hours, since my nascent collection now has some actual entrees. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:
Kotro wrote:

Entrees are main courses.
One of those inexplicable uses of a word--one that doesn't match it's literal meaning.

In the UK, an entrée is a starter.

Could you add in some kind of checkbox or something, to switch between entrée = main course and entrée = starter? This is fun but it's currently kind of dissonant for me. I just can't think of main courses as entrées no matter how hard I try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun idea - and well presented - good work sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
gookyberry wrote:
Thanks for making this, it looks like a fun way to give guests an idea of what games are available to play, and remove some of the (admittedly fun) job of explaining which games do what.

I've also noticed that you've updated it in the last few hours, since my nascent collection now has some actual entrees. laugh

It should continue to automatically populate itself. There are some performance safeguards in place to keep it up and running under heavy traffic, and one of the side effects is that not all your games are going to initially display. They'll come eventually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
refugeesfromreality wrote:
This is fun but it's currently kind of dissonant for me. I just can't think of main courses as entrées no matter how hard I try.

Yeah, it's not that it's a new or unknown word. It's that it's co-opting a word used in many places to describe how the meal is not the main course.

That being said, it looks great. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mjdart wrote:
[q="refugeesfromreality"]This is fun but it's currently kind of dissonant for me. I just can't think of main courses as entrées no matter how hard I try.

Ugh. Fine! I've changed it to main course, but if you start questioning the font in use, I swear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Flora
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradbeattie wrote:
mjdart wrote:
[q="refugeesfromreality"]This is fun but it's currently kind of dissonant for me. I just can't think of main courses as entrées no matter how hard I try.

Ugh. Fine! I've changed it to main course, but if you start questioning the font in use, I swear...

Thanks!

Except here in England we don't use fonts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradbeattie wrote:
Currently, the only thing splitting the two categories is time. 45 minutes or fewer go into appies. Everything else into entrees.

I could probably pull game weight into there to factor in, but I haven't bothered yet.
Perhaps you have modified now?

Both at 45 minutes, but I have

TtR:Nordic as appetizer
while Samurai is called light fare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.