Popular Tags: SleepyLittleTown [+] [View All]
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who occasionally wears "cat's eye" contacts, just for the effect it causes to people who notice it in passing (e.g. double-take city).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is all I would want them for. Just to mess with people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Makes me wonder, at what point does simply "wanting to be different" transition into "a desire to mess with people"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never wanted to be different. I am okay with differences, but I'm not one for going outside the norms or what I view as the norms. I suppose society today views a lot more things as 'normal', than I do. I definitely enjoy getting a reaction out of people, if that is my intent. But to go around all day everyday and get those reactions would grate on my nerves. If I have to be in a crowd I don't usually want to stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to hide in normalcy also. I wouldn't want constant questioning looks. I can barely stand them when I intend for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it considered hiding if you are not standing out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not "hiding," per se, since that act requires deliberate intent. Instead, I think that blending in (e.g. "normalcy") can often achieve that effect accidentally. We tend to overlook the normal and focus on that which is different -- not in a bad or good way, just because that's the way our brains operate.

I recall my wife having a girl in her classes a few years back who fit into that "different" category. She crafted her own look out of various bits and pieces of clothing that she owned -- and it's important to appreciate that this girl wasn't some wealthy "fashion hound," she was a foster child living in very modest means with a fairly conservative family -- but every day she managed to dress in such an interesting and distinctive manner that she stood out from all the other girls in the school. It wasn't that she was especially attractive, or that her outfits were provocative or revealing (if anything, they were just the opposite), but she found a way to make the mundane look exciting. One of the bus drivers (a woman) expressed it this way, "One of the high point of my day is when I stop to pick up Riane, because it's always fun to discover what she's going to be wearing that morning!"

But living your life that way takes a particular kind of adventurous courage which most of us don't have. For the majority of the population, we try to get through life by not standing out, by trying not to attract attention and avoiding (not necessarily deliberately, but sub-consciously at least) the notice of others. Being noticed entails risk: risk of criticism, risk of jealousy, risk of becoming a magnet for the wrong sorts of people. And generally speaking, risk is something that we try to minimize in our lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The nail that stands out from the rest, gets the hammer." - Huy Huynh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting quote, but one which I think misstates the situation. It might be more accurate to say, "The nail that stands out from the rest risks getting the hammer." The question is whether the individual nail is willing to embrace that risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually quoted this by my co-worker, Huy, but it was enough different, in an amusing way, that I attributed it to him. It really is a old Japanese saying, "The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down". The original was 100% intended to encourage people not to differ from the norms of society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, conformity is heavily encouraged (some might say mandated) in Japan. I think we're a little more tolerant, but there are still bounds that one isn't supposed to cross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true. I feel we have become too tolerant, not really looks so much, but actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An intriguing observation which, I suspect, can easily be applied in a very selective manner to whichever group's/individual's actions are under scrutiny. I'm leery of such generalizations -- not saying they're wrong, just that they make me nervous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that I will not tolerate is intolerance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"I find your lack of intolerance... disturbing."
- Darth Vader (attributed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
An intriguing observation which, I suspect, can easily be applied in a very selective manner to whichever group's/individual's actions are under scrutiny. I'm leery of such generalizations -- not saying they're wrong, just that they make me nervous.

A good point. I believe we as a society have become too tolerant of disrespect out of children first and foremost. Secondly we are too tolerant of young people being snowflakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get off my lawn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
Get off my lawn!

... is screamed from above you...

You look around. There isn't a blade of grass able to survive the scum of the back alley. You do note - it is cleaner than the food district but that should be expected from Institut pour l'Insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
givemeInfoplease wrote:
Get off my lawn!

Them's awful strong words there, hoss...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*watches as the tumbleweed rolls across the deserted dusty road*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa.....this is my lawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daefaroth wrote:
*watches as the tumbleweed rolls across the deserted dusty road*

There is no law, no deputy, no sheriff here. There is no one to challenge your rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the law!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vospire wrote:
I am the law!

He said, to no one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You heard me minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  106 , 107 , 108 , 109 , 110  Next »  [112] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.