David Gatt
Australia
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone!

This is a report on the second time my friend Steve and I have played this game. Any questions or comments will be appreciated.

I was playing the FP and Steve was the Shadow.

The game started out with a standard opening with the Fellowship making a few moves and the Shadow Player massing in Mordor to try and attack Gondor.

Unbeknownst to us the turning point occurred when the Fellowship was discovered early in the game and started making for the Gap of Rohan. I thought I'd be able to declare the Fellowship in Rohan and Gondor to reduce any Corruption.

Seeing that I was massing troops in Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth Steve turned the tables on me and starts attacking the North from Rhun and the settlements in Eriador from Dunland.

This in turn distracts me which slows the progress of the Fellowship down to a crawl.

I watch as Steve steadily takes Dale, the Woodland Realm, Lorien, Rivendell and the Shire. He then starts to assault the Grey Havens which is when I come out of my fog of confusion and realise Steve is one Stronghold away from winning the game!

At this point a figurative fire is lit under my bum and I start racing the Fellowship towards Mordor! I muster a strike force from Erebor and retake Dale and I do the same thing in the Shire. He did manage to take the Grey Havens.

The most memorable moment of this game was Steve trying to retake the Shire and we were reduced to one army each. The sight of us each rolling a die over and over again to hold on to that precious victory point was pretty frantic.

In the end I had one Will of the West die, was one space away from the Crack of Doom and had 11 Corruption. The game came down to one pull from the bag and I managed to retrieve a zero Corruption tile winning me the game just barely.

Steve was left with two Army dice. He later told me if I hadn't moved the ring on that last turn he was going to use those dice to move from the Woodland Realm to Erebor to take the game.

This was a spectacular game for the two of us and I cannot recommend it enough.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. If you end up playing this game any time soon please post something so I can read about your exploits!

Happy Gaming, Gattninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you guys had an excellent game! We had a similar game recently, only the SP was at 10 VP and forced the Fellowship to try to force the ring dunk; we realized later that there were 6 tiles that would have let them dunk it, and 6 that would have made them lose by corruption. After 3 hours of back and forth it came down that close to the wire; truly a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potife Potife
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quite an old post, but really interesting ! How long did the whole game last ? less than three hours (including setup) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls