Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Flash Point - 1st Play - We Brought the House Down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So after having this game sitting on the shelf for almost a year I was able to convince my wife that we should play it. I am trying to work through unplayed games to see if they should stay in the collection or not.

The components are nice enough and the rules seemed pretty straight forward, although there is one thing that I was confused about which I will get to as we progress.

My wife and I both started the game focusing on getting to the POIs and attempting to rescue victims. With that focus in mind we didn't put out fires and we hacked through a few walls. This turned out to be a very poor strategy.

The fires quickly spread and changed into explosions that were damaging and crumbling walls throughout the house. The one thing that I'm not sure we played correctly had to do with how explosions are handled when they reach doors. It says to remove the door marker and then under that it looks like there is a symbol for two damage tokens. With that thought in mind we placed two damage tokens on the wall where the door used to be.

We decided that my wife would focus on trying to quench the fire since the majority of it was in the area that she was located. I was over near a couple of victims so I kept trying to haul them out.

The fire continued to spread, with explosions rocking the foundations of the house. It was getting tight. We had saved 5 victims, but had lost 3 and we also were down to 1 damage marker.

We both started to work on putting out fires in fear that an explosion would occur and cause the house to collapse on us. Then that is exactly what happened.

We ended up losing the game when the house collapsed on us. We might have been able to last a little longer if it turns out we weren't using the damage markers correctly to replace the doors. I will have to look this up later. As far as co-ops goes on a first play this one falls below Pandemic and Lord of the Rings. It will definitely get another play and it was enjoyable enough, but we have to decide if it deserves a place on the shelf.

On a positive note since my wife and I are both cat lovers we did make sure that the little kitty was saved.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a common mistake but you don't put cubes on destroyed doors. Page 5, paragraph on explosions.

AFAIK, the double cube icon indicates the (non-load bearing) door is destroyed and permanently "open."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the same mistake the first time I played ... not the door mistake, but the "let's just get the victims out" mistake.

You definitely have to spend effort against the fire as well as rescue victims. That central room can quickly turn into an explosion generator that will tear the house down.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
It's a common mistake but you don't put cubes on destroyed doors. Page 5, paragraph on explosions.

AFAIK, the double cube icon indicates the (non-load bearing) door is destroyed and permanently "open."

I must have just skimmed right over the top of that. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
As far as co-ops goes on a first play this one falls below Pandemic and Lord of the Rings. It will definitely get another play and it was enjoyable enough, but we have to decide if it deserves a place on the shelf.

I think maybe you'll get a better sense of where it stands in your collection when you've got the rules sorted out and you aren't playing with a strategy that's doomed to fail.

It might even end up in the top 400 of your collection!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
swmalone wrote:
As far as co-ops goes on a first play this one falls below Pandemic and Lord of the Rings. It will definitely get another play and it was enjoyable enough, but we have to decide if it deserves a place on the shelf.

I think maybe you'll get a better sense of where it stands in your collection when you've got the rules sorted out and you aren't playing with a strategy that's doomed to fail.

It might even end up in the top 400 of your collection!

I'm pretty sure it is in the top 400. I am attempting to work it down to a slightly more manageable number.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carroll
msg tools
If you're animal lovers you should get the Veteran and Rescue Dog expansion. It brings a fresh look to the game. I'd give the game a 2nd chance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls