Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
200 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: What are some crazy or common rule-breaking mistakes your group made whilst learning the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt Le
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For example, we were told that an AT-ST could go inside buildings, so we were being chased down corridors by this monster machine

(for Jorgen: I was later told that this was because in the section on large characters it says that they can go inside, and that it is only under the AT-ST entry itself that it mentions it can't go inside)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Figures controlled by the rebels, in this case also the ATSt cannot attack twice. That, combined with two activasion tokens made quick work on my forces in a mission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm collecting a list. I think we're almost done with our mistakes after 6 missions, so it's soon time to post it.

We would be further along had one of the players gotten a flu, and being available only every second week. But I have taken part in lot of the rules question threads here, so I get to correct other people's mistakes before making the same mistakes myself. whistle

But we have not really made any mission-deciding mistakes. Except in one of the two first missions I forgot that I could use Threat to reinforce (I did not have any open groups in that mission nor any defeated deployment cards in my hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In three-hero games, I have forgotten to ensure my Rebels don't use their second activation tokens before the other heroes have activated a few times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgetting to tell the rebels they can use a surge to heal a strain is the first that comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first game, mostly mistakes that were carried over from Descent. Limiting movement from strain to 2, removing tokens from Rest immediately instead of at the end of their turn...

As far as purely Imperial Assault mistakes, the biggest one that cost me a match was not reading the mission text carefully and noting the detail of healthy heroes being able to do some stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Too many embarrassing things to count - but I'll try:

1) Forcing stunned figures to lose their entire subsequent activation instead of just one part of it.

2) Giving the nexu the ability to push Imperial figures out of the way during a pounce

3) Allowing a rolled block to successfully counter a surge that was converted to a damage. (I DO think this is wrong - but am still trying to confirm that??).

4) And then the blatant obvious things: Missing certain trigger events (like Lockdown in Aftermath where all the terminals could have gone to +7 health!!!). It seems I get so caught up in the mission that I forget to read, or remember what I've read....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conway
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Mak's ability to not be seen at range 4 or more also means he does not block LOS. The imperial player got really mad when she realized this after we used Mak to block LOS to an objective for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
Too many embarrassing things to count - but I'll try:

3) Allowing a rolled block to successfully counter a surge that was converted to a damage. (I DO think this is wrong - but am still trying to confirm that??).

If you by this mean that the hero used a "[Surge Icon]: 1[Damage icon]" ability on an attack, then you played it right if you allowed to defender to block the damage with rolled block icons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:

If the surge is decided to be used as +1 dmg, then the block can definitely block that damage. So if you roll only surges, blocks will still hinder you when converting surges to damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gawain wrote:
Forgetting to tell the rebels they can use a surge to heal a strain is the first that comes to mind.

and the following forgetting that it can only be used once per attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Cyclodog wrote:

If the surge is decided to be used as +1 dmg, then the block can definitely block that damage. So if you roll only surges, blocks will still hinder you when converting surges to damage.

Well shut my mouth and call me Betty....then I was playing this correctly the first several missions, and then talked myself out of it and played it incorrectly all night last night in "Temptation"....

My wife and I love this game - but some fiddly stuff like this is killing me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've only encountered two missions that gave us rules headaches: Fenn and Mak's mission.

Slight Spoilers Below

Fenn's mission, players need to interact with items. I didn't know that figures on top of items could block items from being interacted with. (Rule: Must be adjacent to or on token to interact with the token). Turns out this is key to the imperials.

Mak's mission, AT-ST limitations when under the rebel's control, specifically, can the AT-ST attack twice. Follow Hero rules or Deployment Card Rules. We voted on Deployment Card rules which is the correct interpretation, but it felt which ever rule we went with would swing the mission wildly from one side to the other.

Both missions are kind of poorly designed in my opinion. However, I think the campaign tries to make Hero side missions "feel" more thematic, but they include rule changes that haven't been encountered before, therefore I think its more likely players get them wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule breaking is for the better (for the Rebels), right... we've made the game harder until we realized something was off. [Most of our mistakes have been from playing D2E and just assuming the rule set for that carried over]

* When Rebels are wounded, we would fully fatigue them. Oops!
* Doors [I guess the ones that are gently opened, like in the intro mission] can't be closed - we opened and fired and then closed.
* Imperial Reserved troops deployed / reinforced before their trigger condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Cyclodog wrote:

In these cases the attacking player can convert that surge to recover strain. Happens all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:
I didn't know that figures on top of items could block items from being interacted with. (Rule: Must be adjacent to or on token to interact with the token).

Figures on top of an object do not block interacting with the object, but figures both on top and each accessible adjacent space do, which you must've meant, because you quoted the rule about interacting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Kwijiboe wrote:
I didn't know that figures on top of items could block items from being interacted with. (Rule: Must be adjacent to or on token to interact with the token).

Figures on top of an object do not block interacting with the object, but figures both on top and each accessible adjacent space do, which you must've meant, because you quoted the rule about interacting.

Yes. Ye olde meat shield defense. I'm using this more and more to block doors and terminals and wear down the clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Cyclodog wrote:

Well shut my mouth and call me Betty....then I was playing this correctly the first several missions, and then talked myself out of it and played it incorrectly all night last night in "Temptation"....

Easiest way to resolve that I know is this: First find number of surges (count rolled, add extra from equipment etc, subtract evades rolled). Then figure out what to use the surges for (if you still have any left). Now you can find the damage rolled (including those from surges) and can subtract the blocks rolled (+ extras from Protector abilities etc). It sound a lot more complicated than it actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Cyclodog wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Cyclodog wrote:

Easiest way to resolve that I know is this: First find number of surges (count rolled, add extra from equipment etc, subtract evades rolled). Then figure out what to use the surges for (if you still have any left). Now you can find the damage rolled (including those from surges) and can subtract the blocks rolled (+ extras from Protector abilities etc). It sound a lot more complicated than it actually is.

I like it - thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Activating all 4 heroes then activating all IP figures. Plays much better alternating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here is the list I have after each of the first missions:
1. You have to end movement to take an action. (Thus, you can't attack or interact while in occupied space.)
2. Mobile (Probe Droid) can still be targeted even when it is in impassable blocking terrain (and attacked by adjacent figures). (The side of an impassable blocking terrain space can be targeted if there is a Mobile figure on it. You have to have LoS to the side, and also adjacent figures can attack.)
3. Crates are one-shot deal, you can't rummage through them endlessly. (You get 50c for each crate, even if you pick up the 100c price from it.)
4. Only moving through Hostile figures cost extra MP, friendly figures can be moved through without additional cost. I'm not sure if we actually played this wrong, but I wanted to clarify it anyway.
5. Focus must be spent on the next attack or attribute test, you can't save it. We did not play this wrong either, just wanted to clarify.
6. I reminded rebels that they can take 2 strain for movement to then attack twice.

1. Clarified which items can be taken into a missions (1 Armor, 2 Weapons, 3 Equipment) and how the Modifications work. Bars on items show how many (if any) modification can be attached to a weapon.
2. If an attribute test fails, it banks the surges rolled, it does not automatically give +1 surge to the next try. (But after this mission rebels are so good at the tests that this does not matter anymore.)
3. Heroes' cards ready at the start of their own activation, not during the Ready stage of the Status phase when deployment cards (and activation tokens) Ready.
4. Combat Medic costs 1 Threat to use. (I used it maybe once, so no big harm.)

1. Reminded rebels to use surge as stress relief.
2. Pounce is a placement, and the space 3 distance away uses Counting Spaces, not Nexu's movement. (So, it can use diagonals, and Nexu only needs to occupy the target space, and the rest of Nexu can occupy any 3 other empty spaces.)
3. Clarified Escaping, you don't need to end movement to spend the extra MP to escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

3. Heroes' cards ready at the start of their own activation, not during the Ready stage of the Status phase when deployment cards Ready.

Oooh, nice catch, missed that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cary Stephan
msg tools
The difference between Threat and Threat Level when the scenarios specify something (like door health) increases by the threat level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one I just now figured out:
Fenn's Havoc Shot (blast 1) doesn't have to be spent BEFORE rolling the attack :O (it just says "during", so you can wait to see if you actually do any damage, so as not to waste the strain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Charron
msg tools
Did not notice that when heroes activate a second activation token (heroic or legendary) their exhausted cards refresh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.