Patchwork» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 boxes for 3-4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Math GeekMicrobadge: Cosmology enthusiastMicrobadge: Philosophy enthusiastMicrobadge: Psychology fanMicrobadge: Statistical mechanics fan
Will it be a good 3 or 4 players game if I have 2 copies of patchwork?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tapestry - ExplorationMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan Microbadge: Five Tribes fanMicrobadge: Roll for the Galaxy fan
I don't really think that would work. For one, the scoreboard is set up so that the first person who reaches certain milestones gets a 1x1 square to put on their board. You'd have to account for only one person out of 4 getting that bonus instead of 1 out of 2.

Also, there's a specific distribution of shapes/buttons on pieces for balancing reasons. If you combined 2 boxes, then someone could have 2 of the same piece on their board and earn way more buttons than they should be able to, or be able to cover their board much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: SHŌBUMicrobadge: I'm a LYNGK fan!Microbadge: Ponte del Diavolo fanMicrobadge: Patchwork fanMicrobadge: Ta Yü fan
It might still be worth it, but keep the copies segregated. Play 2 side by side games and then marvel at your respective quilts. If there is time and interest, play a subsequent game with the winners and losers of he previous set playing each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
Microbadge: I speak GermanMicrobadge: Pokémon GO - Team MysticMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: I support Germany!Microbadge: Hockey fan
I think it would work well enough for four players as long as you had four different colours for markers and stacked the single patches 2 high (first two players past each patch earn the patches).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Math GeekMicrobadge: Cosmology enthusiastMicrobadge: Philosophy enthusiastMicrobadge: Psychology fanMicrobadge: Statistical mechanics fan
Thanks! Stacked the single patches 2 high is a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ZhanGuo fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan Microbadge: Mombasa fanMicrobadge: The Gallerist fanMicrobadge: Tramways fan
I think it could work well for 3 or 4 players with 2 copies of the game (plus a way to distinguish the time track markers).

As has already been suggested here, I propose the following suggestions (along with some of my own clarifications and suggestions):

1) Use only one time track board with one time marker per player. Stack the leather patches 2 high on the designated locations of the time track board. Also place both of the 7x7 tiles beside the time track board.

2) Use all of the patch tiles from both games laid out in a large circle randomly. Use only one pawn to indicate the available patches to purchase (choose randomly from the two possible starting locations).

3) The player whose time marker is in the rear takes a turn (markers on top of other markers are considered to be behind).

4) When a player chooses to (or must) use their turn to advance, he must move his time marker in front of all the other time markers and take as many buttons as steps taken (plus any other income from passing buttons on the time track board).

5) The first 2 players to pass a leather patch on the time track board collect the patch. Also, the first 2 players to create a 7x7 area on their quilt boards collect a bonus tile.

6) Optional variant 1: Use both pawns for marking the available patches to purchase. When purchasing a patch, players may choose from the first 3 patches for each pawn, moving the corresponding pawn accordingly (choosing from among 3 to 6 patches depending on the relative positions of the pawns). Warning: this could increase AP.

7) Optional variant 2: The second person to complete a 7x7 area receives a bonus tile, but it is only worth 4 points. One could also just use one bonus tile as another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pyle
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
If anyone tries this please let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
LYTHAM ST. ANNES
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chelsea fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I design board games!
I wonder if this will work with just one box. I made two extra boards and got 4 counters. Keep to just 5 patches and the first person past gets the patch. Obviously there is no chance that the boards will get filled so I propose just a 1 point penalty at the end for empty squares. I think that the shortage of resources may make this an interesting version of the game. I confess that I haven't had time to test it but hopefully very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
LYTHAM ST. ANNES
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chelsea fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I design board games!
I tried a 4 player game and it didn't really work - too many empty squares on each board at the end (approx 40). It would probably work as a 3 player (approx 25 empty squares per board) if each empty square is minus 1 point instead of 2 at the final scoring. The game ends when the final piece is taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L-D
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2-player Games fanMicrobadge: Concordia fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: I play with purple!
well i think it could work for 3 players

- play on a 8x8 grid
- the 7 point bonus would give 6 points, and need a 6x6
- the catching back... im not sure... either always jump the the first player
- or you can choose ?
- im not sure about that one

but im fairly certain that there are so many GREAT 3 player games out there .. or that plays 3 really well
that i would rather keep patchwork at a 2p experience

my 2cent

9x9 = 81 free spot ( 2 player ) = 162 free spot
8x8 = 64 free spot ( 3 player ) = 192 free spot
8x7 = 56 free spot ( 3 player ) = 168 free spot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McMagic
msg tools
I think you need to double the "time" of the game. Do the time board twice.

"Time" is a pretty critical component of the game. You have to have the right amount of time to almost complete a quilt.

Double everything including the double-sided central time board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McMagic
msg tools
I don't have a second box yet but really want to do 4 player.

I like all the ideas but I would add doubling the "time" as well.

"Time" is a pretty critical component of the game. You have to have the right amount of time to almost complete a quilt.

Double everything including the double-sided central time board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Grateful Dead fanMicrobadge: Umphrey's Mcgee fanMicrobadge: 2018 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: I completed the 2016 challenge to play 10 games 10 times each
How about this...

-2 boxes, mix the pieces and arrange like normal
-double stack the leather single pieces (first and second player to cross get them)
-play as normal except the available pieces are the 3 pieces on either side of the marker (instead of one side), thus doubling the potential tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Rohnert Park
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Cthulhu fanMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Vegan
Michael Poplawski wrote:
I think it would work well enough for four players as long as you had four different colours for markers and stacked the single patches 2 high (first two players past each patch earn the patches).
This was my thought as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport fanMicrobadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Shadowrun RPG fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fan
Joakley815 wrote:
I think it could work well for 3 or 4 players with 2 copies of the game (plus a way to distinguish the time track markers).

As has already been suggested here, I propose the following suggestions (along with some of my own clarifications and suggestions):

1) Use only one time track board with one time marker per player. Stack the leather patches 2 high on the designated locations of the time track board. Also place both of the 7x7 tiles beside the time track board.

2) Use all of the patch tiles from both games laid out in a large circle randomly. Use only one pawn to indicate the available patches to purchase (choose randomly from the two possible starting locations).

3) The player whose time marker is in the rear takes a turn (markers on top of other markers are considered to be behind).

4) When a player chooses to (or must) use their turn to advance, he must move his time marker in front of all the other time markers and take as many buttons as steps taken (plus any other income from passing buttons on the time track board).

5) The first 2 players to pass a leather patch on the time track board collect the patch. Also, the first 2 players to create a 7x7 area on their quilt boards collect a bonus tile.
I purchased 2 copies of Patchwork and tried these suggestions. I marked one set with a marker to easily separate the sets. I opted to arrange the tiles in a shrinking spiral pattern to conserve table space. I placed one of the starting tiles at the end of the spiral and placed the pawn inside of it. The other starting tile is placed randomly. When a player reaches the center of the spiral, move back to the outside of the spiral again with 3 tiles always available to purchase if you do not make it quite to the center. It played very well with 4 players. Better than expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Cantwell

Central Point
Oregon
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Watch it Played fanMicrobadge: Diablo fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: I Delve in Dungeons!
I play 4 player Patchwork all the time following all the rules listed above except for one. When passing because you can't afford a piece or a piece won't fit, move your pawn in front of the very next pawn, not the one all the way in front, and proceed to collect buttons according to how many spaces you moved like always. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
Sterling, Town of
CT
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
To fill up more spaces: when taking income/buttons, the player may choose which piece to move ahead of and take the corresponding buttons and then continue her turn until in the front as normal. I also appreciate the idea with the two pawns giving players twice as many choices for twice the players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls