Popular Tags: GeekList [+] [View All]
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
How-To Create a Geeklist (with screen shots)

This guide is aimed at newish users who want to know more about creating geeklists and the options that are available. By the end of this guide users should feel confident creating and interacting with Geeklists.

Firstly:

(Sign in to the site)

What is a geeklist? Well a geeklist is basically a type of post that is made up of sections and comments. Each section is an ‘item’ - these can be pretty much any record in the database. Under each item users can leave comments and have a chat.

Most Geeklists are created so other user can add new items - to do this navigate to the top (the header) and select add item. If you can’t see ‘add item’ you can assume that the creator of the geeklist doesn’t want public additions.

d10-1

To Create a geeklist:

Hover over 'Geeklist' on the top bar menu and select 'create new'

d10-2

This will take you to the geeklist creation screen.

Enter a title and description (these can be changed at a later date).

(We are going to go ahead and really create a geeklist - feel free to treat it as a testing ground: TEST (how to geeklist))

d10-3

Next we need to configure the geeklist:

(only the creator of a geeklist can set and amend these presets.)

Options… oh boy! These are turned on or off by checking them. While you can edit these at a later stage its generally best to get them right now.

Subscribe:
Check to subscribe to the geeklists.

Domains:

Choose where the list will appear and what sorts of items can be added:

So if your list is just about boardgames you probably just want to pick boardgamegeek.

If you select all of the sites the geeklist will be viable in the geeklist module on all of the sites and the items that can be added can come from all of the sites. So for example I could use lemmings, dungeons and dragons or catan as an item.

(Generally it’s best to limit a geeklist to the site that best represents the subject matter it’s about. In this example were going to use all three.)

Private:
Allows you to hide the list from other users. Note this is not necessarily foolproof and all the usual Community Rules apply.

Public additions:
Lets you turn on or off other users ability to add items. While geeklists tend to cater more for public interaction if you’re creating a personal list of games to take home at the holidays or games that remind you of your grandmother - public additions may not be welcome.

Comments:
Lets you turn on or off other users ability to comments under items.

Trade/Auction List:
If your geeklist is being used to trade or sell you are required to tick this. This makes it easier to find by users looking to acquire the commodities that make up your items, while stopping your geeklist items generating false notifications for other users.

No Publish:
Makes your geeklist harder to find (though not impossible). This is handy for geeklists you want to be make private for a game group or the like.

Enable Dice rolls?:
Allows users to roll virtual dice - handy for online gaming not particularly useful otherwise.

Finally, you can choose how the geeklist's items are sorted:

Normal:
The order in which they are added and manually manipulated by the creator (we'll come to this shortly).

Rank and Average:
Sorted from best to worst by respectively the game rank or rating average*. (*WIP to check whether this is geek or rating average).

Title:
Sorted alphabetically by the primary name in the database.

d10-4

Press save and continue to the next screen.

Before you now is a topdown view of the full list... it's currently blank so lets add an item.

To add an item you must first select what sort of an item it is:

As we can see a great deal of options (largely down to us selecting items from all the sites.)

The first column is for RPG items, the Second from BGG, third from VGG. These are fairly self explanatory simply find a select a thing that exists in the database.

The fourth column allows you to select files/threads/geeklist or threads as items, these are fairly advanced options that don’t get used too often. (To use this function you get the required ID from the url).

Lets go with board game - and as soon as we start to type we are offered suggested games… Simply select the one you want.

In our case Catan.

As soon as we select Catan we get the representative image as the default.

To select a different image simply click on the magnifying glass icon and select any other image from the Catan record.

Fill in the text (At this point you can add as many items as you wish but for us one will do... more can be added later on.)

Select publish list (this makes it live on the site and depending on your presets other users can view and add items/comments.

d10-5

This brings us to our final screen. Which is the same viewing screen all geeklist have, with the exception that the geeklist creator can return to the presets screen via the 'edit header' button or view and manually sort the lists item via the 'edit items' button.

The list is now open!

After a few minutes if we look at main page under geeklist we can see our geeklist:

Likewise if we navigate to the Catan record and scroll down to geeklist and look at recent we see our geeklist.

This guide is now complete and hopefully now you should know the basics of creating your first geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How To: Create a Geeklist (with screen shots)
linked this thread to Wiki: Geeklists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new user it took me ages to find the geeklistID for my newly created geeklist so that I could post it into another geeklist. I eventually found it from the html link for my geeklist.

Ie if i browse normally to my geeklist the address is as follows.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/188509/davids-2015-10x10-challange

This means the geeklistID is 188509 as underlined in the above address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shimmydave wrote:
As a new user it took me ages to find the geeklistID for my newly created geeklist so that I could post it into another geeklist. I eventually found it from the html link for my geeklist.

This is the same method used you link to other forum posts etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
shimmydave wrote:

the formatted link is
David's 2015 10x10 Challange

ex: [geeklist = 188509][/geeklist] without any spaces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see:
How To: Create Links to Everything (with screen shots)
part of:
Every-Gamer BGG Guides

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Sheffield
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great tutorial thanks!

Question: does anyone know how to add an item WITHOUT an image? I haven't been able to get that to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
shefft wrote:
Question: does anyone know how to add an item WITHOUT an image? I haven't been able to get that to work.

Not directly, but I think you could put a blank image in your gallery and pick that number. While a transparent image would be best in case BGG changes the background color, you could easily edit a screen shot to one pixel of the background. Oh, or you could use the image of one of the transparent microbadges as a basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

How do I make a list of images (in my case all from the same game)?

I couldn't figure it out and ended up making a list of board games (every item the same game but different comments) and putting the image in the comments.

Here is what I've got so far. What was that Mysterium Ghost Thinking?

It works okay but I'd really like each item to have a different title.

Would adding files work? You said that was advanced? Anything I should know about that? I mean are images a type of file?

I considered just making it a thread but that doesn't work as a thread doesn't organize the comments by item.

On another note, how do I advertise my list? Can I make a thread to announce it and invite additions?

One last group of questions:

If I allow others to add items to my list, can I delete those items? Who can sort using normal sort? Only the owner of the list or can other contributors effect the order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it at all possible to know how many users have subscribed to my geeklist?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can I add a game to my GeekList when viewing the game's record? It seems I can only add games to my lists when I am at the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to add games/items directly to the Geeklist itself. You can't do so from a record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple1s choice wrote:
Is it at all possible to know how many users have subscribed to my geeklist?

thanks

Subscriptions are private.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks a lot for this!! I really wanted to make a geeklist and your walkthrough was perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracking. IMO, they are the hardest thing to get to catch. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we initially choose to have the Geeklist made private while we get at least 10 or so games added to it and then turn it public? I'd like to have content added before it shows up in the Geeklist main list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
clmdvd wrote:
Can we initially choose to have the Geeklist made private while we get at least 10 or so games added to it and then turn it public? I'd like to have content added before it shows up in the Geeklist main list.

You can do that already. Add whatever games you want to have in the geeklist before you publish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the items in my geeklist is a WIP thread. The game now has a BGG entry. Is there a way to change it to link to the BGG page rather than the WIP thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

Not that I know of. Once you've picked which type an item is, while you can change what it links to within that type you cannot change the type.

Work arounds would be to edit the original comment attached to the WIP item with a big emboldened link to the game type.

Game now Exists: Click Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Liam

I couldn't see a way - but thought I may have missed something.

I'll look to do a work around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I make the list private but also allow public comments, what happens?

I want to make a "private" list for myself and a few other users. Is this possible?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dilkROM
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you can make a GeekList, add some items, submit it for publishing, then later continue to add items, is this right? Or does it "lock down" once it's submitted / published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can add/delete items after the publication/submission of the geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dilkROM
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Yes, you can add/delete items after the publication/submission of the geeklist.

Awesome, thought so, but great to have a confirmation. Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when uploading an image to another user's geeklist as an entry, how can it be enlarged? there doesn't seem to be any options on size of picture, though i do see variation in picture sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.