Popular Tags: [View All]
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must apologize, my experience with the COIN games is limited but I find the subject fascinating. All of the settings used so far in the series seem really interesting and I was wondering what people thought about future settings. The combination of factions, politics, alliances, economics and war all pull me in. It appears that they are now going to use Ancient Rome for one setting and the American Revolution for another. Where does COIN go from here.

I've read that Ireland might be a future setting, I'm personally interested in Israel 1939-49, and the Yugoslavian Civil War 1992-1998. Would these work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
COIN goes lots of places and times from here.
There are quite a few threads on the fora for other COIN series games of likely candidates for the treatment.

Middle East and modern Yugoslavia have been mentioned, and I know of someone who has been working on a WW2 Yugoslavia design as well (I'd always thought that was a good candidate, and would have done one myself).

Such threads often veer off into the "b-but the COIN system is only for 4 players!" but IMO that's a constructed problem, and doesn't have to be true.
I am working on a 2-player iteration of the system for the French Algerian War (1954-62).

As far as future settings go, that is COIN system games set in the future?
Sky's the limit, since you can get away with ignoring a lot of history the further ahead you cast the game.
No actual science-fiction COIN system treatments I know of yet, though a lot of comparisons have been drawn in the past between COIN system games and asymmetrical games like Dune and even Freedom in the Galaxy (both from 1979, coincidentally).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Korbler
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, WW2 Yugoslavia would make a great game with coin mechanics. And historically the conflict changed just enough to make some really interesting event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree on World War II Yugoslavia being a very good candidate. We have, (simplified, of course):

Axis forces - Germans mostly, wanted a stable country to control and exploit
Chetniks - wanted ethnically pure Serbia, no Catholics, wanted to preserve the Yugloslav monarchy. Anti-Axis at first, then collaborated with the Axis to fight the Partisans.
Partisans - wanted Communist state, anti-Axis, eventually won
Ustase - wanted ethnically pure Croatia, no Orthodox Christians. Nazi collaborators.

The allies (U.S., Britain, Russia) at first supported the Chetniks, then switched to the Partisans. Could make for some interesting event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The someone I mentioned who is working on this has just this arrangement of factions.

My only reservation about this is the two regionally-minded factions, but perhaps that pairs OK with the two factions that are concerned about the entire country.

Definition of "Support" and Oppose" also potentially problematic in an occupation-type situation, which hasn't been done before.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Definition of "Support" and Oppose" also potentially problematic in an occupation-type situation, which hasn't been done before.

That could be done be having "Support" and "Oppose" represent the population´s support of either the monarchy or the communists, while neutral means the population supports neither which would benefit the occupying power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Jeremic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ww2 yugoslavia would be better than post ww 2 yugoslavia
 Thumb up