Nun Kwon Dethsp
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

This is a good tutorial for anyone who's wanted to use a spreadsheet to manage the content of a card template designed in Photoshop.

"This tutorial was designed for Photoshop users seeking an easy, time-efficient way to edit and change the content (elements/data) used in a card design template. Individuals needing to change the contents of a .psd card template (text, icons, artwork, etc.) to create a set of cards will find this tutorial extremely beneficial to their workflow process. Anyone curious of how to use Photoshop’s Variable and Data Set options will also see value in this tutorial."

DIRECT DOWNLOAD (.zip file): http://www.manifestationccs.com/files/Manifestation-CCS_Tuto...

MORE INFORMATION: http://manifestationccs.com/archives/1422/tutorial-01/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great tip!

You can work with Variable Data in InDesign and Illustrator also. It rocks for designing something like a set of cards for a game where they share the same layout and certain elements change. You can even have visual elements change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nun Kwon Dethsp
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
jhebert wrote:
Great tip!

You can work with Variable Data in InDesign and Illustrator also. It rocks for designing something like a set of cards for a game where they share the same layout and certain elements change. You can even have visual elements change.

I hear it's kind of tricky/cumbersome to get Variables & Data Sets working in Illustrator. There seemed to be coding and editing certain scripts involved.

I do know that InDesign's Data Merge feature works wonders for a lot of people.

But in general, setting up and using Variables and Data Sets in these programs can really help the workflow of any card project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humpf... I just wish this were possible in Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it IS possible but I don't know how :-) I'll have to look for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Photoshop user since it first came out, I use this all the time in my design work with both Photoshop and InDesign. Only way to go if you're dealing with different data on individual cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nun Kwon Dethsp
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
As
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
points out, there may very well be Variable features for other programs. I think I will also search to see if anything exists for Gimp in particular.

Here's a question for everyone:

If a program allowed you to open a set of individual cards of the same template and directly edit the design elements of the cards on the cards (text, artwork, icons, color etc), would you prefer adding data directly to the cards, or would you still prefer to use a spreadsheet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cool. I knew that InDesign could do it but I did not realize Adobe had it across their product range. I wish I could afford Photoshop but since I'm not a designer it's a bit pricy. Would be great if Gimp can do this too.

At one point I figured out how to do this in Publisher but it was NOT very fun making cards in that program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Peters
Canada
Vanderhoof
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/299033/inkscape-extensions-...

This plugin works for Inkscape. I have used it in the past with good results for counter sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spugnoid wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/299033/inkscape-extensions-...

This plugin works for Inkscape. I have used it in the past with good results for counter sheets.

Yep, know about that one (cool indeed)...

But if there were another, more direct way, I would not be opposed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this tutorial, I wasn't even aware of this. This is unbelievable helpful for me, thanks a bunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.