Subject: top 10 suggestions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have missed these in Rahdo's videos and listing, but what about, "Top 10..."

1. Analysis Paralysis (AP) games
2. Game titles from _insert major/long-time publisher here_
3. Game titles by _insert accomplished game designer here_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessroboto wrote:

Does Rahdo's very recent "top 10 heavy games" cover this already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
chessroboto wrote:
chessroboto wrote:

In large part yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
chessroboto wrote:
chessroboto wrote:

In large part yes
Thank you for that top 10, Rahdo. Your choices of AP-inducing games with simple mechanics yet deep in strategy and planning are exactly what my euro-only group is into and will be trying out next. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Richard, I'm a big fan of your reviews and have been watching them since you first started in your Maltese castle. I'll admit that I'm one of those people who thought "man, this guy is awfully keen to enthusiastically recommend games" until you posted that statistic about how you give negative reviews in 25% of your runthroughs. All the same, I think the bias is there because when you enthusiastically recommend a game, you REALLY ENTHUSIASTICALLY recommend it. You are at least 3.5-standard deviations above the average person when it comes to enthusiasm =)

So my idea for a top 10 list are games that you enthusiastically recommended in a video that you are now down or "meh" on. Games that you rarely or never play, or have traded away.

The reason I think this is a good idea because you are now famous enough that you get copies of games really early before you know whether or not they'll have any longevity to them. When you review a classic game like Stone Age, I know that your opinion has stood the test of time and I can take your recommendation at full value. But when you are reviewing a hot-off-the-press game or the latest kickstarter prototype, I am less certain. Who knows, maybe no games fit this category, but I imagine there must be!

Anyways, keep up the great work!

EDIT - just read previous pages where you said you don't want to start doing negative reviews. Oh well, I can still dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCollum
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually we could reverse that idea and have a Top 10 Games that shine from multiple plays. Ones that may not seem deep or particularly interesting the first go through, or perhaps too complex, but once you settle in and get comfortable you find some amazing gameplay! I know in a few reviews Rahdo has given the caveat that he may need to play them again to give a full evaluation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessroboto wrote:
I may have missed these in Rahdo's videos and listing, but what about, "Top 10..."

DONE 1. Analysis Paralysis (AP) games
4. Game designers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
chessroboto wrote:
chessroboto wrote:

DONE 1. Analysis Paralysis (AP) games
4. Game designers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orL9jGApIsY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks. i had a feeling that i saw something with that list recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a "Top 10 trick-taking games?"

My non-gamer co-workers who I bring into our hobby will thank you for this. They just don't know it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
chessroboto wrote:

My non-gamer co-workers who I bring into our hobby will thank you for this. They just don't know it yet.
problem is i doubt i could even come up with a top 3 for that, since trick taking games very rarely work well with only 2 players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chessroboto wrote:

If you haven't already, check out Wizard and Diamonds. Those are our favorite trick-taking games, and we have used them to bring many people into the hobby.

Also, wizard works well at the end of the night because it's easy to end early if necessary. (like when they kick us out because the bar is closing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kamarainen wrote:
chessroboto wrote:

If you haven't already, check out Wizard and Diamonds. Those are our favorite trick-taking games, and we have used them to bring many people into the hobby.

Also, wizard works well at the end of the night because it's easy to end early if necessary. (like when they kick us out because the bar is closing)

I agree with Diamonds. Played it last night and knew it was the next game for the wife and non-gamer groups to get and play. It plays upto 6 too so that's great for us.

I'll check Wizards next. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
chessroboto wrote:

problem is i doubt i could even come up with a top 3 for that, since trick taking games very rarely work well with only 2 players...
That's fine. I was hoping that there were more trick-taking games that are good with 2p like Jaipur and Diamonds.

With that, would you reveal your top 3 without a cideo review? Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Sorry, don't think I'll ever go down the route of doing 'negative' top10s...

It doesn't have to be negative, as in this is a horribly bad game etc. but rather a game that you were disappointed with. Something that you thought would be great from the description or the reviews but when you played it, it wasn't as good as you thought. I'm sure that has happened many times, you couldn't have played every game and liked each one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruazn2 wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Sorry, don't think I'll ever go down the route of doing 'negative' top10s...

It doesn't have to be negative, as in this is a horribly bad game etc. but rather a game that you were disappointed with. Something that you thought would be great from the description or the reviews but when you played it, it wasn't as good as you thought. I'm sure that has happened many times, you couldn't have played every game and liked each one.
Well, it actually doesn't happen all that often, because I'm VERY careful about which games I pick up... I very rarely do it "on a whim", so I'm very rarely disappointed because I know what I'm getting ahead of time.

Still, the info about which games we didn't like is available for all at http://niceguy.rahdo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Still, the info about which games we didn't like is available for all at http://niceguy.rahdo.com
Speaking of which, I noticed that Le Havre was recently added to your list of shame with the comment, "Brilliant, especially with the expansion, but the loan system ruins an otherwise lovely game and makes the endgame very samey". (Is the purge of Rosenberg's more sandboxy games complete? )

What's interesting to me is that I have had those same 2 concerns about the game for as long as I've owned it, and every time we get it out to play I worry that these 2 concerns will affect my enjoyment of the game... but then it turns out that they never do. Yes, I usually end up abusing loans (as expected), and I always end up shipping steel or coke at the end of the game (as expected), but I've found that all of the other great stuff in the game more than makes up for those for me.

Or maybe those things actually don't bother me at all, but from a game design perspective, somehow it feels like they should, so I worry about them unnecessarily. I don't know. (Maybe I need a psychologist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
Another one I would like to see is a Top 10 of campaign games or games in which you can level up your character (like Shadowrun: Crossfire) and what you like about the campaign and leveling systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intourette wrote:
Another one I would like to see is a Top 10 of campaign games or games in which you can level up your character (like Shadowrun: Crossfire) and what you like about the campaign and leveling systems.
that would be awesome, but it's gonna be a long time before i can even make a top 3 of that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will your top 10 expansion list be the same as a top 10 most essential game expansions? IMO, they are different. While I may love some expansions and put it on a top 10 list, it may not make it onto a top 10 essentials list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
Will your top 10 expansion list be the same as a top 10 most essential game expansions? IMO, they are different. While I may love some expansions and put it on a top 10 list, it may not make it onto a top 10 essentials list.

if that one ever happens, it'll be the ten expansion that improve their base games the most (in our perspective, anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
What about a Top 10 very small footprint (or to play in bed and on plane) games. Games like oddball Äeronauts for example or Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intourette wrote:
What about a Top 10 very small footprint (or to play in bed and on plane) games. Games like oddball Äeronauts for example or Hanabi.
yup, that'd be he top 10 travel games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see top ten games you can play outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
MisplacedWorker wrote:
I'd like to see top ten games you can play outside.

Croquet
Lawn darts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [26] |