Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Discussion thread for Description wiki rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that the guild description is a wiki. I encourage anybody to make changes to it to improve it. One thing that is missing though, is a discussion thread. I really like how Wikipedia offers that. So here we go!!

Thoughts I have had
1. Clean up the description. It's huge and I find it a bit intimidating sometimes.
2. Add a section called Media (and ask Tracy to make an image for it) to include the podcast, video podcasts, blogs, etc.

Please feel free to discuss the description.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think moving the different sections to be articles would clean it up.

Solitaire resources
Needs its own "article"

How are articles created? I couldn't find anything on it.

Blogs is a good example
Current:
=Blogs=
Solitaire related blogs

Proposed(if possible)
=Blogs= (which would link directly to Solitaire related blogs)

Or even just use the images and have them link to the article pages.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it is right now you have to scroll down pretty far to reach the forum section. This is the part I am most interested in as I check the page multiple times every day whistle. Is there any way to rearrange the sections so that forums is closer to the top? Thanks. And great work by the way.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Making a wiki page is pretty easy. Go to an existing page and then change the URL to what you want to make.

For example
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/I_Do_Not_Exist

I wonder if a geeklist would be more useful than a wiki article, except it would be harder to maintain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
The way it is right now you have to scroll down pretty far to reach the forum section. This is the part I am most interested in as I check the page multiple times every day whistle. Is there any way to rearrange the sections so that forums is closer to the top? Thanks. And great work by the way.
That is pretty much what inspired this thread.

You may be able to customize your view. I have never tried.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
jellyfish1 wrote:
The way it is right now you have to scroll down pretty far to reach the forum section. This is the part I am most interested in as I check the page multiple times every day whistle. Is there any way to rearrange the sections so that forums is closer to the top? Thanks. And great work by the way.
That is pretty much what inspired this thread.

You may be able to customize your view. I have never tried.

Is there any way to break some of these subtopics into new threads and pin them to the top of the forum section?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
couchoud wrote:
fractaloon wrote:
jellyfish1 wrote:
The way it is right now you have to scroll down pretty far to reach the forum section. This is the part I am most interested in as I check the page multiple times every day whistle. Is there any way to rearrange the sections so that forums is closer to the top? Thanks. And great work by the way.
That is pretty much what inspired this thread.

You may be able to customize your view. I have never tried.

Is there any way to break some of these subtopics into new threads and pin them to the top of the forum section?
You mean threads in the guild instead of wiki pages? That would work too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If your main concern is getting to the forums bit quickly then you could just create a bookmark of this url

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303#forums

Personally I just subscribe to all the top forums and next, next, next through it . My bookmark for this

https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/next

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
If your main concern is getting to the forums bit quickly then you could just create a bookmark of this url
https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303#forums
Awesome. That works. Thanks Luke!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
You mean threads in the guild instead of wiki pages? That would work too.

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I feel like it might make for a better user-experience if the wiki subtopics were broken out into threads. I personally find the wiki hard to parse through due to the amount of content it currently contains. We might be able to mitigated some of that by reworking the layout a bit, but I know our options there are fairly limited and that probably wouldn't solve the length problem.

Just my two cents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
couchoud wrote:
fractaloon wrote:
You mean threads in the guild instead of wiki pages? That would work too.

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I feel like it might make for a better user-experience if the wiki subtopics were broken out into threads. I personally find the wiki hard to parse through due to the amount of content it currently contains. We might be able to mitigated some of that by reworking the layout a bit, but I know our options there are fairly limited and that probably wouldn't solve the length problem.

Just my two cents.
I like this because a thread has built in discussion ability, but then it requires the OP to maintain it. If that person ever had the account delated, then all that info is lost. The same is true for geeklists, which would be nice for something like the list of video reviewers, though to a lesser extent.

I have tried to mess with the layout some, but I find working with wiki formatting very hard. It also seems to be a bit buggy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
couchoud wrote:
fractaloon wrote:
You mean threads in the guild instead of wiki pages? That would work too.

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I feel like it might make for a better user-experience if the wiki subtopics were broken out into threads. I personally find the wiki hard to parse through due to the amount of content it currently contains. We might be able to mitigated some of that by reworking the layout a bit, but I know our options there are fairly limited and that probably wouldn't solve the length problem.

Just my two cents.
I like this because a thread has built in discussion ability, but then it requires the OP to maintain it. If that person ever had the account delated, then all that info is lost. The same is true for geeklists, which would be nice for something like the list of video reviewers, though to a lesser extent.

I have tried to mess with the layout some, but I find working with wiki formatting very hard. It also seems to be a bit buggy.

I made some significant edits. Hope they are liked. I moved many of the sections off to their own wiki pages.

If you don't like them... It is a wiki that anyone can edit.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bikefreak wrote:
I made some significant edits. Hope they are liked. I moved many of the sections off to their own wiki pages.

If you don't like them... It is a wiki that anyone can edit.

thumbsup The changes you made look great. I would call it a significant improvement.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.. nicely done!

I realized if we want, we can create "sub pages". For example, we have
www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Solitaire_Resources

We could also create
www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Solitaire_Resources/talk
or stuff like that. I don't think it is needed right now, but it is something to keep on the back of our mind.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I added links to the nomination geeklists for the 2015 1 Player Guild Gaming Awards to the header. Once Nomination ends, I'll replace it with (a) link(s) for voting, then they will be deleted. Hope that is agreeable to everyone to get maximum exposure for the Awards here.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have requested, from Tracy, a new section heading image called "Media". It will be useful to group all podcasts, blogs and video reviewers there.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
I have requested, from Tracy, a new section heading image called "Media". It will be useful to group all podcasts, blogs and video reviewers there.
In the meantime, I added the Low Player Count podcast as it should focus a lot of time on solo games and reformatted the podcast section to be a bit less space hungry. Should there also be a Podcasts page like Blogs, Resources & Videos?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One extremely important geeklist I thought was missing from the wiki was the 2014 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games - a terrific reference for anyone and also, hopefully, an annual event (take that Dice Tower!).

So I added it.

However, I wasn't sure the best section to put it in. I've opted currently for the first section but was wondering if it should be in the gaming awards? I didn't want to deflect from that though. I also thought it is well worth highlighting as the go to reference for everyone (beginners or experienced solitaire gamers), so I used a bullet point but that messes up the nice clean look that was done with the last improvement.

Thoughts?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding it is a great idea. That geeklist is still commented on pretty regularly. I see new posts at least once a week!

I think it would make better sense in the awards section. Maybe we move it after the current goings on?

Edit: I'll comment more later on. I need to beat by my son at Memoir 44.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
Edit: I'll comment more later on. I need to beat by my son at Memoir 44.
Well, that didn't go as planned, again.

I think it makes more sense in the Awards section than in the SGOYT section. At least, I think of it as an award. Looking at the awards section, it will be hard to distract from that really big "FINAL VOTING OPEN" text.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
One extremely important geeklist I thought was missing from the wiki was the 2014 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games - a terrific reference for anyone and also, hopefully, an annual event (take that Dice Tower!).

So I added it.

However, I wasn't sure the best section to put it in. I've opted currently for the first section but was wondering if it should be in the gaming awards? I didn't want to deflect from that though. I also thought it is well worth highlighting as the go to reference for everyone (beginners or experienced solitaire gamers), so I used a bullet point but that messes up the nice clean look that was done with the last improvement.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it's already listed as part of the awards section.

I double checked and it was, so I removed it from the main board for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's already listed as part of the awards section.

I double checked and it was, so I removed it from the main board for you.

Okay but my point was that one of the popular reasons people come to the guild is to get suggestions for solitaire games and there is no better list than the top 100 peoples choice. Having to drill down an extra level I feel just hides it away but it's cool wherever.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[article=19173323]davekuhns suggested putting the 1 Player Guild Hot Deals Thread[/article] on the front page of the 1 Player Guild in the wiki section. I looked at it but couldn't find an easy place to locate it that would look good without some extra layout work.

We should put both of these on the front page:

1 Player Guild Hot Deals DISCUSSION Thread
1 Player Guild Hot Deals Thread

There's a Trading Post section. Maybe we can somehow create a buying, selling, trading, hot deals section and fit everything, including the hot deals threads within. I know there is at least one other thread about Kickstarter campaigns that might be a candidate for such a section.

Any thoughts?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just put it under the "trading post" and not get caught up in the semantics. If you want, write a descriptor like "The Trading Post is the one stop shop where guild members can find links to trade & buy games from fellow guild members." Thoughts?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think the Trading Post section could be tidied up to just have an intro sentence and some bullet points maybe something like:

"The 1 Player Guild like BGG has many features and ways to trade games:
* 1 Player Guild Trading Post(text link)
* The Solo Games Chain of Generosity(text link)
* 1 Player Guild Hot Deals Thread(text link)
(sub sub heading) - 1 Player Guild Hot Deals DISCUSSION Thread(text link)
* There is an annual Secret Soloist gift exchange. The membership drive is in March with exchanges happening in April."

I think clicking through then explains all you need to know about them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |