Dominion: Adventures» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Adventures introduces Reserve cards. They go on a Tavern mat. They hang out there, turn after turn, waiting until you are ready for them. "Calling" one means moving it from your mat to your in-play area; then it gets discarded normally that turn, to eventually be drawn again and go back on the mat. Wait let's go over this again. You play it, just doing the part above the line, putting it on your mat. Later, you move it off the mat into play, just doing the part it says there, whatever it says for whenever it says. Okay.

Guide can give you a new hand at the start of your turn. You just skip right past a bad hand, or a Militia'd hand, or a hand that doesn't have that Hero you need to upgrade. With multiple Guides on your mat, you can keep going until you run out or find that good hand.

Duplicate duplicates something. That name just tells the whole story. You buy a Lab; you Duplicate it, two Labs. You gain a Gold from Hero; you Duplicate it, two Golds. Whatever you are getting, you probably want more of them. Late in the game, Duplicate Duchies.

Coin of the Realm is a weird one. When you play it it makes $1 and goes on your mat. On some future turn, you call it to get to play more Actions. So it's a village that you can't (normally) use the turn you play it. And it's a village that just waits until you need it. You draw your two Heroes together, play one, call the Coin, and play the other one. You can also use Hero to gain a Coin. Will the other Reserve cards all be combos with Hero? *checks...* No. Not all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES! YES! YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AP M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Again, incredible preview! Thanks so much for putting these up.

Can you Throne Room/Kings Court a reserve action when called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind. Blown. So Reserves are like Durations where you trigger when the rest of the Duration happens. It's complicated, yet simple. And suddenly you know that your opponent has the ability, when he needs it, to do something ridiculously stupid like keep playing actions with no village, or empty a two-card pile with no +Buy.

The Reserve mechanic definitely doesn't work with Prince, which is a shame, but other automatic players (like Throne Rooms, Golems, Heralds, Ventures, etc) will like these a lot, I think, but that's not really a surprise.

donaldx wrote:
Guide can give you a new hand at the start of your turn. You just skip right past a bad hand, or a Militia'd hand, or a hand that doesn't have that Hero you need to upgrade. With multiple Guides on your mat, you can keep going until you run out or find that good hand.
It's like a lower-level Tactician. Or a special kind of Catacombs, or Cartographer, or something. I think this card would be a welcome addition to a lot of strategies, given its simple effect.

donaldx wrote:
Duplicate duplicates something. That name just tells the whole story. You buy a Lab; you Duplicate it, two Labs. You gain a Gold from Hero; you Duplicate it, two Golds. Whatever you are getting, you probably want more of them. Late in the game, Duplicate Duchies.
Or, you know, play two Highways, double Province.

donaldx wrote:
Coin of the Realm is a weird one. When you play it it makes $1 and goes on your mat. On some future turn, you call it to get to play more Actions. So it's a village that you can't (normally) use the turn you play it. And it's a village that just waits until you need it. You draw your two Heroes together, play one, call the Coin, and play the other one. You can also use Hero to gain a Coin. Will the other Reserve cards all be combos with Hero? *checks...* No. Not all of them.
... Coin of the Realm + Storyteller. Not a strong combo, but one of those stupid "does this really work?" ones. Actually, Coin of the Realm + Black Market is pretty sweet. I think this is my favourite preview so far, purely due to the potential for shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Wanderer
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome concept for a new card type!

I've alway wanted to have a "powers not in the deck" mechanism and here it is!

I wonder if there is a reserve card everyone starts with a copy of like baker giving everyone a coin. That would be interesting/cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
APMechanics wrote:

I'd say no, since TR/KC both specify that you choose an Action card from your hand. However, you should be able to TR/KC to get the above-the-line effect twice, then put the card on your Tavern mat. Except Coin of the Realm, which you'd have to Counterfeit - which I assume would then be unable to trash it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
APMechanics wrote:

Not per what has been revealed so far. TR/KC work on cards from hand, these would not ever be in hand, with the rules currently available, except when initially playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how they each have a specific time that they are "called". I am hoping for a Reaction-Reserve card that I can call when my opponent plays something destructive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AP M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense. What will be interesting to see is if there is a limit to how many reserve cards can be played in a turn. I can see some mega hands being built this way. Particularly if the cost of Provinces is lowered by Bridges/Highway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
APMechanics wrote:
No. You can Throne one when played, but that just repeats the top (e.g. get another +1 Card +1 Action from Guide). Calling a card isn't playing it, although it moves it "into play," which matters for e.g. Peddler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
APMechanics wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. What will be interesting to see is if there is a limit to how many reserve cards can be played in a turn. I can see some mega hands being built this way. Particularly if the cost of Provinces is lowered by Bridges/Highway.
There is no limit. And you can call multiple Duplicates on the same gain. Buy a Gold, call three Duplicates, gain three additional Golds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
No. You can Throne one when played, but that just repeats the top (e.g. get another +1 Card +1 Action from Guide). Calling a card isn't playing it, although it moves it "into play," which matters for e.g. Peddler.
Thanks for the previews, Donald. Is this the Lose Track of rule? Example #1:

1) You play Throne Room.
2) You choose Duplicate.
3) You play Duplicate once; you move it on the Tavern mat.
4) You play Duplicate twice; you try to move it on the Tavern mat, but it's already there.
5) You end up having one Duplicate on the Tavern mat. Throne Room will be normally discarded at the Clean-Up phase.

Example #2:

1) You play Throne Room.
2) You choose Guide.
3) You play Guide once; +1 Card, +1 Action and you move it on the Tavern mat.
4) You play Guide twice; +1 Card, +1 Action and you try to move it on the Tavern mat, but it's already there.
5) You end up having one Guide on the Tavern mat, you've drawn 2 cards and you've got +2 Actions to spare. Throne Room will be normally discarded at the Clean-Up phase.

What is more, when you call cards, they are not counted as "Actions being played" (for Conspirator), just like Duration cards, correct?

Finally, I assume that when you call the Coin of the Realm from the Tavern, you do not get $1, since it's not written on the bottom part. You just get +2 actions.

By the way, is that a new card-background color? Seems like Beige to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Picon wrote:
Thanks for the previews, Donald. Is this the Lose Track of rule? Example #1:
"Lose track" just stops a card from being moved when something else moves it. It doesn't do much here; once the card is on the mat, it fails to be put on the mat a 2nd time, but whatever, it's already on the mat.

There is only one Duplicate, so there's only one Duplicate on the mat; there are never ghost Duplicates.

Throne Room has no special rule involving Reserve cards (though it does with duration cards), so of course it's discarded normally.

Picon wrote:
What is more, when you call cards, they are not counted as "Actions being played" (for Conspirator), just like Duration cards, correct?
Calling is not playing, correct. Calling a Guide does nothing for Conspirator but does matter for Peddler (which looks at cards in play rather than at how many cards you played).

Picon wrote:
Finally, I assume that when you call the Coin of the Realm from the Tavern, you do not get $1, since it's not written on the bottom part. You just get +2 actions.
When you call Coin, you do not get $1.

Picon wrote:
By the way, is that a new card-background color? Seems like Beige to me.
It's tan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it pronounced dupliCAYT, as in the verb, or dupliKIT, as in the noun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
I note that Coin of the Realm is +2 Actions. That means you could play 3 terminal actions in a turn that you call it, instead of Village's 2. And it never draws dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
I note that Coin of the Realm is +2 Actions. That means you could play 3 terminal actions in a turn that you call it, instead of Village's 2. And it never draws dead.
You are correct, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool concept and can't wait to play with these new cards! Seems to be quite powerful, being able to call them at will.

Now all that is needed is a "Tavern Bouncer" card that can disrupt the tavern of the other players. Forcing other player(s) to pick 1 card from their tavern mat that they have to kick out of the tavern because they were starting fights. I'm all for more player interaction within Dominion!

Thanks for sharing these previews with us Mr. Donald X. Vaccarino!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1002am wrote:
It's more of a Workshop than a Remodel, so I would lean towards noun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
Awesome that Ryan Laukat is doing some of the art for this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral

Argentona, Barcelona, Catalonia
msg tools
mb
1002am wrote:
This is the only thing in dominion that is left at the players discretion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salva wrote:
1002am wrote:
This is the only thing in dominion that is left at the players discretion.
Unless you're one of those people who thinks it's hilarious to mispronounce "Duchy". shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12thManStanding wrote:
Really cool concept and can't wait to play with these new cards! Seems to be quite powerful, being able to call them at will.
They all seem to be like Reactions to me because they all specify when you may call them. At least these three all have conditions - At the start of your turn; when you gain a card; directly after resolving an Action.

My question would be does resolving a sub-Action count. That is, if I play Procession and choose Witch, may I call Coin of the Realm after resolving the first play of Witch, after the second, or only after the Procession? Might it ever matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Whizkid wrote:
12thManStanding wrote:
My question would be does resolving a sub-Action count. That is, if I play Procession and choose Witch, may I call Coin of the Realm after resolving the first play of Witch, after the second, or only after the Procession? Might it ever matter?
You can call Coin after the first play of Witch, after the second play of Witch, or after Procession is completely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's bonus preview is up over at f.DS, written by yours truly.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12871.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral

Argentona, Barcelona, Catalonia
msg tools
mb
1002am wrote:
Apparently there's not only two but four ways to pronounce it: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=duplicate&submit=Submi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |