Dominion: Adventures» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #3 - Amulet, Swamp Hag, Hireling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Those of you who have been wanting more Duration cards, here they are at last. There was lots left to do with them, and I could get in some nice simple cards this way, and well people wanted them. If you aren't familiar with them, they are simply cards that do something on future turns. They stay in play until they are done doing everything they have to do; that's the only tricky part.

Amulet is a basic Duration card. It gives you a choice on both turns, that's its special thing. Amulet is super-flexible; it gets rid of garbage, provides money for the same turn, and gets Silvers for later.

Swamp Hag showcases a type of Attack made possible by Duration cards. It makes the other players have worse turns. In this case, anything they buy will be cursed. Two Swamp Hags? Two Curses. It can be grim in multiplayer. They can just choose not to buy anything in order to dodge the Curses and well you will be happy with that too. Try to avoid playing Swamp Hag and Outpost in the same turn; that Swamp Hag doesn't end up Cursing anyone.

Hireling is a Duration card that lasts forever. You put it out, and then that's that, you have an extra card on every turn for the rest of the game. That seems good. They're cumulative of course; with three of them out, you'll get three extra cards each turn. You get the card at the start of your turn, rather than when drawing your hand, which means it doesn't suck vs. Militias. $6 may seem cheap for this ability and well there's playtesting, you know, the costs aren't just random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hope not april fools, these are nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hall
msg tools
bygberbrown wrote:
They are not April Fool's jokes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
If you play King's Court on a Hireling, by my understanding you'd get +3 Cards every turn for the rest of the game, the only downside being it would tie up your KC until game end?

Compared with buying and playing three Hirelings, that could be good value. Perhaps also compared with Prince on a Smithy.

Meanwhile, King's Court on a Swamp Hag doesn't look like a good way to be popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
bygberbrown wrote:
They are real. I am not that guy, and they're not even funny. Well, Hireling is a little funny. I mean where'd he get the dry wood?

This seemed like the best week to do previews, and Hilarious Internet Lies Day wasn't going to get in my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
clivej wrote:
If you play King's Court on a Hireling, by my understanding you'd get +3 Cards every turn for the rest of the game, the only downside being it would tie up your KC until game end?
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
Microbadge: I have a Game RoomMicrobadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: I love my gaming table
donaldx wrote:
bygberbrown wrote:
I am not that guy
I wish everyone was not that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amazing cards. love them.

does hireling get returned to your deck at game end for fairgrounds purposes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
amazing cards. love them.

and Gardens... and Vineyard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Howlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With Swamp Hag, how do Moat and Lighthouse work? I can see two options:

1) I'm protected for the entirety of the Hag's duration if I reveal a Moat or have a Lighthouse at the moment it's first played; or

2) I'm protected from the Hag at the moment I buy a card if I, at that moment, reveal a Moat or have a Lighthouse.

...but I'm not sure which makes more sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swamp Hag is a b*#ch SWAMP HAG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chowlett wrote:

1) I'm protected for the entirety of the Hag's duration if I reveal a Moat or have a Lighthouse at the moment it's first played; or

2) I'm protected from the Hag at the moment I buy a card if I, at that moment, reveal a Moat or have a Lighthouse.

Moat and Lighthouse both protect from attacks when they are played, so it would be (1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
clivej wrote:
Correct.
Even weirder, if you play Procession on a Hireling, then the Procession stays out to remind you you've got +1 Card every turn, but the Hireling would get trashed, potentially letting you recover it with a Gravedigger and play it again. Or if you played Procession on a King's Court, and KC'ed the Hireling, then the KC would get trashed, the Procession would (I think) get discarded as normal, the Hireling would stay out but still be played three times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like the swamp hag!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hireling hijinks
I can't wait for Adventures to be available in the UK. Every single one of these cards looks like fun; the idea of trying to play a game with an entire kingdom from Adventures is mind-boggling.

I really want to see how Hireling synergises with other stuff.

Hireling and Peddler could be nifty, but what about a Procession of Hirelings? The Procession is now stuck in play forever, but it only cost $4 and your Hireling becomes a $7 action.

(I wonder if there are any more $7 actions in Adventures?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the cards Donald. If you don't mind how many of these durations should we expect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

Swamp Hag showcases a type of Attack made possible by Duration cards. It makes the other players have worse turns. In this case, anything they buy will be cursed. Two Swamp Hags? Two Curses. It can be grim in multiplayer. They can just choose not to buy anything in order to dodge the Curses and well you will be happy with that too. Try to avoid playing Swamp Hag and Outpost in the same turn; that Swamp Hag doesn't end up Cursing anyone.
Although you would be affected by the Swamp Hag if you bought a card, could you dodge it if you gained a card, say with Workshop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Although you would be affected by the Swamp Hag if you bought a card, could you dodge it if you gained a card, say with Workshop?
Gain would dodge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conmanau wrote:
donaldx wrote:
clivej wrote:
Correct.
Even weirder, if you play Procession on a Hireling, then the Procession stays out to remind you you've got +1 Card every turn, but the Hireling would get trashed, potentially letting you recover it with a Gravedigger and play it again. Or if you played Procession on a King's Court, and KC'ed the Hireling, then the KC would get trashed, the Procession would (I think) get discarded as normal, the Hireling would stay out but still be played three times.
I would think that if you played Procession on Hireling, you actually would just trash Hireling and not get the permanent benefit. Cards only apply if they're still in play so you wouldn't want to use Procession on a Duration card because it would go to the trash and thus not have the Duration effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
gonzoron wrote:
Yes, along with any other Duration cards you have in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
conmanau wrote:
Chowlett wrote:

Moat and Lighthouse both protect from attacks when they are played, so it would be (1).
Correct. You have to remember that you Moated it and well in testing it was never an issue, people manage to remember that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grummzaire wrote:
conmanau wrote:
donaldx wrote:
clivej wrote:
Correct.
I would think that if you played Procession on Hireling, you actually would just trash Hireling and not get the permanent benefit. Cards only apply if they're still in play so you wouldn't want to use Procession on a Duration card because it would go to the trash and thus not have the Duration effect.
This is incorrect. Duration cards normally stay in play to remind you that they have an effect left to do, but that effect is not contingent on the Duration card remaining in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
conmanau wrote:
+2 Cards in the Procession / Hireling case, otherwise correct. Procession is not good for tracking Duration effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Bob_A_Mickelson wrote:
Love the cards Donald. If you don't mind how many of these durations should we expect?
I don't mind you asking but I'm not going to tell you. The un-previewed part of the set will remain a mystery until the set comes out (or RGG posts the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STIG240 wrote:
Presumably you would not be affected, since it says "buy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |