Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At last, the big day has arrived. Nearly.

Beyond Monopoly!, York's friendliest boardgame club, is having an open day at the National Railway Museum in York on Sunday 12th November 2006. The museum opens at 10am and closes at 6pm (we'll be finished by 4pm though) and entry is completely free. We will be showing off our modern games and playing some with you. We'll also have a wide variety of train games to see.

We will be in the Main Hall with all the big engines, including a replica of Stephensons Rocket, and the Mallard, the world's fastest steam engine. Come and have some fun with us and have a look round a great museum too. There's also an enormous wheel you can ride on and get fantastic views of York, but that does cost £6 for adults.

The NRM is on Leeman Road, a short walk from the railway station and the centre of York. In fact, if you arrive at the station, you can walk a direct path to the museum instead of going out the front. The museum has disabled access. http://www.nrm.org.uk/events/index.asp

Beyond Monopoly! is now free on your first visit. So see some games at the NRM, then have another free day with us on Saturday 18th November. We meet at the RI every 1st and 3rd Saturday each month, which is also just metres from the station. www.bmyork.pbwiki.com

Drop me a message if you want to go on the email list and get reminders.

See you tomorrow!
Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I see your club got mention in the latest edition of BBC's Mind Games magazine, well done.

Regards

David Brown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, page 70 of the December 2006 issue #06, in your shops now. I was very pleased with the plug, and impressed with the magazine. It looks like a great way to promote our hobby. I strongly recommend Brit gamers to pile in.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it go, Jon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good, although I was hoping for more flow of people. We got 25+ sign ups, but as you'd expect, a lot of folk were from too far away. But I've had one email tonight already asking to buy Niagara plus expansions.

The big surprise to me, and in light of your experience I should have twigged sooner, was the age range. It was 6 year olds or 30+ year olds. So many tiny people! With tiny hands! Which reach out and GRAB AND GRAB AND GRAB! No put that down. No don't eat the trains. Every time I turned back to my nice displays, all the pieces were scattered about. The museum is free to enter, so I suppose if you have small kids, it's a great place. No charge for the parents, and the kids can run riot without fear of breaking anything!

But, on balance, it was another success. Not a triumph, but a successful day. And we've established ourselves with the museum, and they want us back. We learnt a lot today, so on balance I'm pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Jon,

This just a heads up.

You may be interested in an event at my local game club. On the 1st Saturday in March it holds it's annual auction (well at least for the last fifteen years), which is in effect a bring a buy sale.

The event is fairly big, attracting about 50+ gamers, selling between 400-500 games. Last year it was a buyers dream with many games going for bargain prices.

The club is based in Stockport and whilst that is a reasonable way from York, it ain't bad, we have people from London and Scotland joining us.

It's a friendly event, originally it was a wargame auction but over the years the emphasis has changed and whilst there are still a lot of wargames there are also a lot of Euro games, in fact, one of the club members, who will be at the auction is Warfrog's Martin Wallace.

If interested email me direct

Regards

David Brown

thirts@ntlworld.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.