Dominion: Adventures» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Adventures has 30 Kingdom cards. It also has 20 Events. It's high time we looked at some of those. Man, they're sideways. See you on the other side.

From gallery of donaldx

An Event is something you can buy in your Buy phase that isn't a card. You pay your $, you use up a Buy, and something happens. They don't take up Kingdom card slots; you shuffle them into your randomizer deck, but when you deal out cards, keep going until you have 10 Kingdom cards. I recommend stopping at two Events, but it's up to you.

Expedition is an example of a very simple Event. You get two more cards in your next hand. Maybe you'd rather have Silver; it's hard to say, man I don't even know you. Sometimes though I bet you'll want the cards. So, to be clear here: with Expedition in the game, you can, in your Buy phase, pay $3 and use up a Buy, to make that thing happen, the extra 2 cards for your next hand. If you had $6 and 2 Buys, you could go on two Expeditions, and have 4 extra cards in your next hand. Or buy a Silver and one Expedition. And so on. Expedition itself just sits on the table with the kingdom cards, reminding you that you can do this this game.

Trade, still somewhat simple, has you turning one or two cards into Silvers. It costs $5, but well, trashing two cards and getting two Silvers, maybe that's worth it. It only trashes from your hand, so you won't be doing much Trading turn one.

Finally we have Mission, a trickier one. You get an extra turn, but, this seems like some kind of joke, you can't buy cards on that turn. What good is it then? Well. There are things you can do. You can gain cards without buying them, such as with Remodels and Workshops. You can play Duration cards, setting them up for your next turn. You can get Reserve cards onto your mat. You can play Attacks, it can be that kind of Mission. You can trash cards; you can just be getting through your deck to get back to your good cards; you can turn that Hero into a Champion. And hey you can buy other Events, that's not buying a card. That may seem weird - what do we call that rectangular object then - but you didn't buy a card, you bought an Event, a thing that happened once and didn't come with a card, and so that doesn't trigger Swamp Hag and it's not cheaper due to Bridge and so on. Event cards give you something to buy; that thing is not a card. There will be a rulebook and it will say stuff just like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AP M
msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Dominion: Seaside fanMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fan
Re: Preview #4 - Expedition, Trade, Mission
Mind = blown. It seems the key theme of Adventures is reducing the luck factor and really rewarding players with a deep understanding of how these cards work. I love it!

How do you keep track of events that trigger next turn, such as expedition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: I would kill for a Citizenship Recognition starMicrobadge: I play with Greeeennn!!! or I will crush you...
APMechanics wrote:

It happens during clean up, not next turn, which means it is vulnerable to discard attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kingdom Builder fanMicrobadge: Temporum fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild fanMicrobadge: Ace Attorney fan
APMechanics wrote:
Mind = blown. It seems the key theme of Adventures is reducing the luck factor and really rewarding players with a deep understanding of how these cards work. I love it!

Expedition doesn't trigger next turn. You draw those extra cards at the end of the turn you buy it. Watch out for Militias!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rio Grande Games fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Graphic ArtistMicrobadge: Crokinole fan
Beautiful artwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Live Action Roleplaying fanMicrobadge: Free Print & Play Game DesignerMicrobadge: Meteor fanMicrobadge: All Things C programmerMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
Just make sure that your mission isn't to set up an Outpost. That won't work well for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - B.A.Microbadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - BobMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - DaveMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - SaraMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - Brian
Can you gain them with workshop or these can only be bought? Can these events enter the black market?

EDIT: Also, with a haggler, if I buy an event, will I gain a lesser costing card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rome demands BEAUTY! (Wood)Microbadge: Wingspan fanMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Dale of Merchants fan - I manage my cards with Scarlet Macaws
I carry around everything except the randomizer cards, but I guess Events shouldn't be any harder for the various apps to implement than Young Witch was.

Love that Trade is still the thing Traders do at Trading Posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kingdom Builder fanMicrobadge: Temporum fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild fanMicrobadge: Ace Attorney fan
senseless wrote:
Can you gain them with workshop or these can only be bought? Can these events enter the black market?

EDIT: Also, with a haggler, if I buy an event, will I gain a lesser costing card?
No, events are not cards. Workshop says "Gain a card". Haggler says "When you buy a card".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Hanabi fanMicrobadge: Quartermaster General fan
senseless wrote:

donaldx wrote:
And hey you can buy other Events, that's not buying a card.
Based on this, I would think not. It looks like Events are not considered cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wooden cube fanMicrobadge: Attacktix Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Ravenloft fanMicrobadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Highlander TCG fan
Wow, I like it. Reminds me of the "when you buy" triggers and overpay from Guilds, except you don't actually get the card, just the triggered effect. Neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - B.A.Microbadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - BobMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - DaveMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - SaraMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table - Brian
LastFootnote wrote:
senseless wrote:

No, events are not cards. Workshop says "Gain a card". Haggler says "When you buy a card".
Then, bridge and highway and princess don't work on them either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
SOMETHING PORTENTIOUS
badge
Microbadge: Playtester / Prototype fan
Will there be a recommendation for the use of Events tied to the use of Adventures Kingdom cards (e.g. Platinum & Colony with Prosperity or Shelters with Dark Ages), or is their intended use more voluntary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
senseless wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
senseless wrote:

Then, bridge and highway and princess don't work on them either?
That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bryanldoughty wrote:
Will there be a recommendation for the use of Events tied to the use of Adventures Kingdom cards (e.g. Platinum & Colony with Prosperity or Shelters with Dark Ages), or is their intended use more voluntary?
No, they have blue randomizer backs. The idea is that you shuffle them in with your other randomizers and then just deal out randomizers until you have 10 Kingdom cards. If you reveal more than 2 Events during this process, consider only using 2 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Dogs in the Vineyard RPG fanMicrobadge: SpaceChem fanMicrobadge: Dungeon World RPG fanMicrobadge: Kite Enthusiast
donaldx wrote:

Man, they're sideways.

See you on the other side.

it's hard to say, man I don't even know you.

this seems like some kind of joke, you can't buy cards on that turn.

that's not buying a card. That may seem weird - what do we call that rectangular object then ?

There will be a rulebook and it will say stuff just like this.
I bet the rulebook will say this stuff, but that won't say this stuff like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spirit Island Fan - FearMicrobadge: Scum and VillainyMicrobadge: Curling fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - ShapersMicrobadge: 2.718 281 828 459 045 235 360 287 471 352 662 497 757 247 093 699 959 574 966 967 627 724 076 630 353 547 594 571 382 178 525 166 427 427 466 391 932 003 059 921 817 413 596 629 043 572 900 334 295 260 595 630 738 132 328 627 943 490 763 233 829 ...
I haven't played Dominion in a while (mostly because I have finite time and many games to play) but this expansion really makes me want to crack it open again. Everything in here is very exciting and different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gamer FamilyMicrobadge: Pixel Tactics fanMicrobadge: 7th Sea RPG fanMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: I'm a GM!
The best part of these is that they only need to come with one or two (counting the randomizer) cards in the box, so it is a lot more game than might otherwise be able to be fit in a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Kings of War fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: 2015 Gold Supporter
LastFootnote wrote:
bryanldoughty wrote:
No, they have blue randomizer backs. The idea is that you shuffle them in with your other randomizers and then just deal out randomizers until you have 10 Kingdom cards. If you reveal more than 2 Events during this process, consider only using 2 of them.
So, with that in mind, are there both Blue back and standard versions, or just blue back? Only asking because I know some people don't use blue backs at all, and people using blue backs would have no need for a standard back since there is only one copy.

The other interesting thing is this stack doesn't run out, so game ending options are limited by their presence (not a lot, but more so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Nikisknight wrote:
The best part of these is that they only need to come with one or two (counting the randomizer) cards in the box, so it is a lot more game than might otherwise be able to be fit in a box.
Events are their own randomizers; they have blue backs and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Kings of War fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: 2015 Gold Supporter
LastFootnote wrote:
Nikisknight wrote:
Events are their own randomizers; they have blue backs and everything.
So people who have thrown out their blue back decks are kinda SOL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
pinkymadigan wrote:
So, with that in mind, are there both Blue back and standard versions, or just blue back? Only asking because I know some people don't use blue backs at all, and people using blue backs would have no need for a standard back since there is only one copy.

The other interesting thing is this stack doesn't run out, so game ending options are limited by their presence (not a lot, but more so).
Events only have a blue-back version. They are not part of the Supply and don't replace a Kingdom card pile, you still have 10 of those (11 with Young Witch). So they have no effect on game ending (other than how their particular abilities might matter there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
Microbadge: R.I.P. GeekdōMicrobadge: US ConstitutionMicrobadge: There is no emoticon for how I am feeling right now.
I am loving the Events. And everything else. Even the Durations, and I was never a big fan of the orange cards.

It occurs to me that the Event cards would have been better served as tiles. They never get shuffled into decks, they're unique permanent fixtures of the board, and tiles would maybe eliminate some of the looming confusion over buys-that-don't-count-as-buys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
donaldx wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

Events only have a blue-back version. They are not part of the Supply and don't replace a Kingdom card pile, you still have 10 of those (11 with Young Witch). So they have no effect on game ending (other than how their particular abilities might matter there).
Ah, got it, thanks for the clarification. And looking back, you did say that initially, of course; I just missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
pinkymadigan wrote:
So people who have thrown out their blue back decks are kinda SOL?
If you don't have randomizers, you can't use the randomizer deck to determine when to use Events. You still have the Event cards though and can use whatever method you want to pick when to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |