Dominion: Adventures» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #5 - Lost Arts, Borrow, Inheritance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Here at last are tokens. They are used some by non-Events too, but today, three more Events. I like to have all of the cards in one preview have the same orientation.

From gallery of donaldx

Lost Arts produces a +1 Action token, which modifies a pile so that those cards give you personally +1 Action. Each player has their own token. Say you put the token on Smithy; for you, Smithy is +1 Action +3 Cards, but for everyone else, it's still +3 Cards (unless they also put their token on Smithy). For example. So uh there's probably something good you can do with that. That Smithy example doesn't sound half-bad. The token on Smithy affects all of the Smithies you have, and any Smithies you get later; it's just a different card for you. It's like a giant pile of Villages that are always there when you need them for a particular action, for a one-time payment of $6 and a Buy. You are probably wondering, is there also a +1 Buy token, a +1 Card token, a +$1 token? Yes, of course there are those too.

Borrow shows off a minus. There are just -1 Card and -$1; -1 Action and -1 Buy would be no fun. Borrow gives you an extra +$1 this turn, but you'll draw one less card the next time you draw cards, that's what that -1 Card thing is about. You get one less card the next time you'd draw any cards, any which way; for Borrow though that's probably when you draw your next hand. So, four cards that turn instead of five, and well make sure it's worth it. You don't want an endless spiral of debt, where you Borrow turn after turn. -$1 meanwhile (not pictured - well neither one is pictured, but you know what I mean) just reduces how many coins you make by $1 the next time you make any. The minus tokens are used on a few cards each, sometimes to give to yourself and sometimes to make other players take them.

Inheritance is maybe the strangest thing in Adventures. Your Estates turn into another card. Again that's Estates you already have, and any new ones you buy. You put the token on say a Village; now your Estates are cards that cost $2 and are worth 1 VP and are Action-Victory cards and can be played for +1 Card +2 Actions. It is a great feeling when you're staring at your hand and it sucks and then you remember, oh yeah, these Estates are Villages, this hand is awesome. You actually set aside a card with the token, rather than just putting it on a pile, because Dominion has crazy stuff like the Knights from Dark Ages. Lost Arts can give all of the Knights +1 Action for you, but when your Inheritance is Sir Martins, your Estates are all Sir Martin, they aren't any other Knights. And if that's not clear, there's a lengthy FAQ.

That's it for previews, except for the other preview for today, if you haven't seen that one yet. Go see it (if it's not up yet this may take a while). Okay so. That's it for previews. You've seen 20 cards out of 58; there are still 17 more kingdom cards, 14 more Events, 7 more things that Page and Peasant turn into, and 2 mysterious tokens. No doubt someone will post the rest of the set once people have it. We are expecting the set out April 18th and well someone will keep us posted if that changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AP M
msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Dominion: Seaside fanMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fan
Can I highway/bridge/princess any action card down to 4 to be useful with inheritance? Play two highways and for five coins all my estates could become Hunting Grounds? Then, with Lost Arts make all the estates +4 cards, +1 Action?

This is insane!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
APMechanics wrote:
Can I highway/bridge/princess any action card down to 4 to be useful with inheritance? Play two highways and for five coins all my estates could become Hunting Grounds? Then, with Lost Arts make all the estates +4 cards, +1 Action?
You can use Highway to use Inheritance on a more expensive card. However you can't get Lost Arts in on that. If the +1 Action token is on Hunting Grounds, it affects played Hunting Groundses, not Estates. And you can't put the +1 Action token on Estate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Quantum fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: 51st State: Master Set fanMicrobadge: Anachrony fan
MADNESS, PURE MADNESS I TELL YOU!

This set is crazy and I like it!

I have all the sets in Dutch. Does anyone have a clue when the Dutch versions will be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
Lost Arts - ahhh.... as I was typing I reread.... "Action Supply Pile" -- If possible I would have kept +1 Action token on Curse cards.... at least it would have made them useful...

And am I to assume, if the card states "this is not part of the supply" you could not place it on it, correct?

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: I would kill for a Citizenship Recognition starMicrobadge: I play with Greeeennn!!! or I will crush you...
If my +1 Action token is on the Smithy pile, and the Smithy pile is drained, do all my Smithys still have +1 action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
DKahnt wrote:
And am I to assume, if the card states "this is not part of the supply" you could not place it on it, correct?
Yes, you can only put the token on Supply piles.

I don't know when the Dutch version comes out; you-Phanthomus could ask 999 games directly. It's coming out in Dutch, I know that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
darthnice wrote:
If my +1 Action token is on the Smithy pile, and the Smithy pile is drained, do all my Smithys still have +1 action?
Yes. Also you can put the token on the pile even if it's already empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: D&D fan (4th edition)Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Tasty Minstrel Games "Eminent Domain: Exotica and Battlecruisers" Contest participantMicrobadge: Wasabi! fanMicrobadge: #F5F5FF fan
So, the other events are adventures that you go on, but I guess Inheritance is an adventure that your crazy uncle went on and, er, never came back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Classical Music fan
DKahnt wrote:
Lost Arts - ahhh.... as I was typing I reread.... "Action Supply Pile" -- If possible I would have kept +1 Action token on Curse cards.... at least it would have made them useful...

-DK
It wouldn't be useful on a curse though. It would just make each Curse into a Ruined Village, which is essentially (outside of a few corner cases) a curse which isn't worth negative VPs.

These are insane, and I'm sure there is more insanity that's not been previewed. Looks like you've done it yet again, Donald Can't wait to get my hands on Adventures (although I expect it'll be a little while before it reaches the UK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Space Base fanMicrobadge: Ecos : First Continent fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG poster
So does each person have a set of tokens in their color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L
Australia
flag msg tools
How do you distinguish whose tokens are whose? Are they coloured or have symbols on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wooden cube fanMicrobadge: Attacktix Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Ravenloft fanMicrobadge: I was trololol'ed in 2010Microbadge: Highlander TCG fan
Wow.... just...

wow...

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

One minor quibble: Why is the +1 action from lost arts "first" since it doesn't really matter where on the card the +1 action is grafted? This just seems to reinforce the common noob mistake of thinking that +1 action means "play an action right now" rather than "add 1 action to your pool for the turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 05 BGG poster
donaldx wrote:
10 chits in each of 6 colors
From another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Microbadge: Microbadgus Designum Ex ProfessoMicrobadge: This is the 10,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 20,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: This is the 30,000th microbadge uploaded!Microbadge: My microbadging days are behind me - I'm just enjoying the view from here on out
robinz wrote:
DKahnt wrote:

-DK
It wouldn't be useful on a curse though. It would just make each Curse into a Ruined Village, which is essentially (outside of a few corner cases) a curse which isn't worth negative VPs.

...dang it... you are correct.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Kingdom Builder fanMicrobadge: Temporum fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild fanMicrobadge: Ace Attorney fan
gonzoron wrote:
Wow.... just...

wow...

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

One minor quibble: Why is the +1 action from lost arts "first" since it doesn't really matter where on the card the +1 action is grafted? This just seems to reinforce the common noob mistake of thinking that +1 action means "play an action right now" rather than "add 1 action to your pool for the turn."
For some of the tokens, it does matter. Donald revealed in the blurb that there is a +1 Card token, for example. You want to get +1 Card at the start of your Throne Room/Remodel/etc. rather than the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L
Australia
flag msg tools
gonzoron wrote:
Wow.... just...

wow...

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

I put my +1 action on Storyteller. Then I play Storyteller and play a Diadem. If the +1 action comes first, Diadem is worth $1 more and I draw one more card. Otherwise I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The owls are not what they seem...Microbadge: LOST fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Orphan Black fanMicrobadge: Community fan
What is up with that Borrow artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Classical Music fan
I can foresee lots and lots of rules questions about these cards (although doubtless a lot of them will be covered in the FAQ that comes with the rulebook). Here's one for now:

I notice that Inheritance gives your Estates the type of the chosen card as well as its abilities (so that, for example, you can now use Throne Room or King's Court on them, and Golem will dig out your Estates and so on) - but it appears that it doesn't also take the cost. So, for example, if you Estates are behaving as Villages (or any Action card costing 3 or 4), Sage will still skip over your Estates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 05 BGG poster
robinz wrote:
I can foresee lots and lots of rules questions about these cards (although doubtless a lot of them will be covered in the FAQ that comes with the rulebook). Here's one for now:

I notice that Inheritance gives your Estates the type of the chosen card as well as its abilities (so that, for example, you can now use Throne Room or King's Court on them, and Golem will dig out your Estates and so on) - but it appears that it doesn't also take the cost. So, for example, if you Estates are behaving as Villages (or any Action card costing 3 or 4), Sage will still skip over your Estates?
Donald already answered this in his write up.

donaldx wrote:
Your Estates turn into another card. Again that's Estates you already have, and any new ones you buy. You put the token on say a Village; now your Estates are cards that cost $2 and are worth 1 VP and are Action-Victory cards and can be played for +1 Card +2 Actions.
So, yes, they would be skipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love the cards, but I am not a fan of the artwork on Borrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Microbadge: GroningenMicrobadge: Belgian Beer loverMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: Union Pacific fanMicrobadge: Blues Brothers fan
And if I use Inheritance to turn my Estates into Great Halls, are they now worth 2 points? Or still 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
With Inheritance, Do all Estates have the abilities and classes of the other card for me, or do only my estates have those abilities and classes? A couple of examples to show what I'm getting at here:

Suppose I played two highways first. allowing me to use my Inheritance to put my Estate token on Grand Market. My estates gain the 'ability' "Cannot be bought if you have coppers in play". But can I still buy an Estate with two coppers, because the Estate in the supply is not (yet) mine, so it doesn't have that ability?

Suppose I have inherited Smithy, and I play Tribute, and you reveal an estate. Do I just get two cards, because it's your Estate, not mine, so it isn't also an action card, or do I get 2 actions too, because for me, Estates are also Smithies and therefore action cards? How about if you play a Tribute and I reveal an estate? My guess would be that in the first case, I only get +2 cards, but in the second case, you get +2 cards and +2 actions, because my Estate is also a Smithy, but yours isn't.

Once again, assume I have Inherited Smithies, and now suppose I gain an Estate using Ironworks. The card I chose to gain was an Estate in the supply, which is not an action card. But the card I gained is that Smithy/Estate on the top of my discard pile, which is an Action/Victory card. Do I just get +1 card, or do I get +1 Action too? I have no idea what is correct here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mac_s_1 wrote:
And if I use Inheritance to turn my Estates into Great Halls, are they now worth 2 points? Or still 1?
Inheritance wrote:
Set aside a non-Victory Action card
Can't set aside a Great Hall with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
From your examples, it looks like the +1 Action and Estate tokens continue to have their effect until they are moved, while the -1 coin and -1 card tokens only have their effect once, and are then removed and have no further effect unless something replaces them. Is this a difference between minus and plus tokens? Or is it a difference between tokens in the supply and tokens on your deck or <wherever it is that you place the -1 coin token>?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |