Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This battle is the first in my Empire: The Macedonian Punic Wars, 350-150BC campaign, and was fought to resolve a campaign by Macedon into Graecia during the first turn of the Empire game, 350-340 BC. In accordance with the LB rulebook, the battle uses the 1st Chaeronea conflict as the basis for this campaign resolution.

Set up took me about an hour, sorting out the various tiles and units (I need a better storage system than baggies!). Here is the historical set-up (Turn 1):

AAR
Macedon Force Value is 83, while Greeks Force value is 61.
Greeks take the first moves in this battle. They moved the two centre Hoplite groups forward to meet the Macedon centre, while on the flanks, the light cavalry and heavy cavalry units changed facing, and the light cavalry on the left advanced up the hill outside Chaeronea.

The Macedon left, under the command of Philip II, advanced by the banks River Haemon toward the Greek Hoplites on the hill.

Meanwhile, Alexander advanced by the banks of the River Cephissus on the left flank towards the Greek heavy cavalry.

With the opponents now facing one another, battle was well and truly underway. The initial exchanges saw the Greek Hoplites in the centre faring batter than the Macedon Phalanx units. The two forces continued to slug the battle out from turn to turn.

Units became spent on both sides, but Macedon fared worse. Eventually, during turn 8, the Macedon Phalanx centre collapsed, providing an opening for the Greek Hoplites. Philip II's spent group finally broke the Greek Heavy Cavalry during turn 9, and turned to face the Greek light infantry on the hill outside Chaeronea.

Note: Philip II's group occupies the Greek Key Zone, while a unit of Greek Hoplites have advanced into the Macedon Key Zone!

Alexander finally shatters the Greek Heavy Cavalry on the left, and turns to face the Greek Hoplites, but too late in this battle.

The spent Greek Hoplites in the centre left have held up the Macedon army long enough (turn 10), and both armies leave the field that day. The Greeks have delivered a severe morale blow to the Macedon army, as the campaign into Graecia stalls.

(Victory points: Greeks (with max handicap of 42) 123, Macedon 86. Victory threshold is 18, so the Greeks with a difference of +37 have pulled off a Major Game Victory.)

Notes
I messed up the combat bonuses for the first half of the game, not using them when Macedon had plenty of command points.

Tactically, it was a mistake for the Macedonians to try attacking out the river tiles (this reduces the number of attack points by half). I should have tried to strategically manoeuvre them out onto normal terrain. Perhaps.

A good game, and gave me plenty of opportunity to come to terms with these particular units, the use of bonuses (eventually!), terrain effects and the morale calculations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was an enjoyable report, thanks for sharing that. Try the battle again, now that you are a Lost Battles veteran.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, thanks for the great report. Better command is the only Macedonian advantage at this battle, and does need to be exploited, given the difficult tactical situation. Keep us posted on how your campaign progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gav DBM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting. Makes me want to try the battle as it is one I have never played. Did Hydaspes a few days ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session !

Lost Battles is such a great game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.