Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
since almost 8 months are passed from the the 1st war of the ring expansion. I was wondering whether there will be a 2nd expansion or not. I think that both Roberto and Francesco know if their 1st expansion sold well or not, and I'm pretty sure they have plenty of new materials for a 2nd exciting expansion. I know they delivered their new baby (Marvel Heroes!!!) but it is almost done...and of course I'm sure they have started working on their new boardgame: Age of Conan, but...do they think they will make a 2nd war of the ring expansion?
I'm expecting some official answers from the designers!!!!

have a nice day

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like too to have a third expansion.

With Two new battles (one on each side on the board but not necesseraly new units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We want to do a second expansion, but this will not happen in 2007. In 2007 we have another special thing in the making related to War of the Ring which I just can't reveal yet ;-)

So feel free to start guessing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of the 5 Armies (though unrelated to the War of the Rings)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe battles of the First and/or Second Age? The battles of the First Age against Morgoth would be most interesting -- lots of dragons, balrogs, more Elf involvement etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TeknoMerk wrote:
Or maybe battles of the First and/or Second Age? The battles of the First Age against Morgoth would be most interesting -- lots of dragons, balrogs, more Elf involvement etc.

Not enough pieces for it.

As for my guesses:

Army of the Dead
Official "start from the shire" variant
BILL THE PONY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
BILL THE PONY

WOO HOO!

I'm hoping for limited edition bronze!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Lopez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
BagpipeDan wrote:
BILL THE PONY

WOO HOO!

I'm hoping for limited edition bronze!!!

But only if you pre-order from FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with some of the earlier battles as well. I would also be interested in seeing dragons too. The wiki on Smaug was interesting and a variant of him in the game either as a "what if" or in his time would be interesting, IMHO. Great job on the product and presentation for the last one and the base game! Also the "Starting from the Shire" was very interesting too and could use the nice FFG touch, versus gutting a Lord of the Rings RISK set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smaug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good !! a new expansion, this is wonderful !!!

So Roberto, does this special thing related to War of the ring will have lots of minis???

It is not Age of Conan isn't it? That one is already booked in my purchase plan for late 2007.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here's my guess: Using the sculpts from War of the Ring, create a more accessible boardgame.

Imagine, for example, a Moria dungeon crawler game ala "Doom" or "Zombieeeees!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be cool. What about the Battle at the Black Gate or battles for Osgiliath?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Strategy Expansion
I don't think Strategy needs an expansion. The original strategy game favoured the Shadow and simmply Galadriel balances it out. The other Strategy expansion elements (Dunlendings, Corsairs, Ents, siege towers/trebuchets) don't - IMHO, after 25 plays of the expansion - add much to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alan thats an interesting point. Can the expansion be played only including a few simple elements such as Galdriel? If so which elements would you include?

I honestly dont think the original game needed much extra and dont have the time for unecessary 'chrome'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just Galadriel
Adrian2 wrote:
Alan thats an interesting point. Can the expansion be played only including a few simple elements such as Galdriel? If so which elements would you include?

I honestly dont think the original game needed much extra and dont have the time for unecessary 'chrome'.

The original game was great - but after 200+ plays and the intervention of Magic Geek it became a Free People battle for survival against Dew North [but the Free did win sometimes - see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/103984]

The addition of Galadriel - and just Galadriel - balances the game.

Everything else in the strategy expansion just adds, as you say, 'chrome'. It is not to say that the other elements are bad - just that, IMHO, the game is great without them and you can't really improve on almost perfection. The one lack of perfection is game balance - and Galadriel corrects that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thats kind of what I thought. I've already bought the expansion but its still in the box 2 months later. What I'm wondering is can I pick the elements I like (eg Galadriel, new Witch King) and just add them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't giving the FP access to another Action Die via Galadriel without giving one to the Shadow via the Balrog overbalance the game toward the FP? Or is just Galadriel herself not enough to correct the imbalance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Doesn't giving the FP access to another Action Die via Galadriel without giving one to the Shadow via the Balrog overbalance the game toward the FP? Or is just Galadriel herself not enough to correct the imbalance?
You might be right on the overbalance - but the Balrog takes the Witch King's action die and it is usually more a problem for the Free People to get their additional dice than it is for the Shadow: Saruman is only two musters away, as is the Witch King.

As it is, we play with all the elements of the new Strategy Version - it just seems simpler to.

After 30 games with the expansion it's 54% Free People with ZERO corruption victories for the Shadow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, how many military victories for the Free Peoples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many military victories for the Free Peoples?

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1206943

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Giles
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Let me guess... War of the Jewels game? Noldor units, Dragons, GONDOLIN STRONGHOLD, Feanor character? That would be nice!!! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Jankowski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
i agree i have only seen one corruption victory on the free peoples with the expansion and this was due to the fp player removing everyone from the fellowship except for the two hobbits, and he killed off gandolf the grey.

basically, thats my biggest complaint about the new version of the strategy game. theres now really only one way to victory. I figured the new witch king would change this, but hes so difficult to get into play. you must successfully hunt, which usually doesnt happen until at earliest round 3 of the game, and then you must draw a reveal tile which got even harder because of smeagol. to me there should be an easier way to bring in the new witch king so you can focus on a corruption victory.

things i do like though, is the new witch kings abilities when you can get him in, galandriel is def nice, and i like the dundelings, sometimes they give that extra push to take over rohan. i feel however a good fp's player can win majority of the games by just moving the fellowship quickly and killing off corruption, seems to me that the balance shifted much to much towards fp.

im hoping that whatever they are going to do for wotr it will address these issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
Hey Arneson Stidgeley, you quote game http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/103984] as an example of the Free winning in the base game, but the game is not DEW North. As you say many times, Mordor attacks Rohan.

The one fair game you did play against DEW North, you lost.
Zero from One is hardly impressive.

The reason the expansion is so needed is because of Galadriel.
All of the 'Chrome', is actually tarnish.

The first Hillman muster die and the Shadow siege engine card are the sum total of Strong new shadow toys. Doesn't sound like much compared with the corsairs, Ents, Smeagol, Siege engines, and even the Balrog is marginal. The only reason he has become the default path is because his die is so useful. The Witch King is too expensive because of Galadriel, and The Chief is too hard to summon.

Since everything in the expansion advantages the Free, often by hampering the shadow, surely the obvious conclusion is that the base game has some problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't know what exactly is DEW North strategy. I've read how good it is, just not how it is supposed to work! Someone please enlighten me.

Oh and yes, I am looking forward to more designs on Lord of the Rings, Battles of the 2d Age would certainly be nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you allowed to drop any hints as to what this 'war of the ring related' item may be for 2007 yet?? cool
It is an intriguing thing to mention in passing and then hear nothing of for a month

Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.