The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: OCTGN Expansion - Dark Corners of the Middle-earth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I present you with "Dark Corners of the Middle-earth" - an OCTGN LOTR LCG player card expansion. This expansions focuses mainly on bringing to life a combination of Esgaroth and Craftsman traits, but still there is plenty of other stuff to go around. This expansions is combination of many of my different works throughout all this time.

I would be greatful to hear any thoughts regarding this matter, or even better - to play with anybody using cards from this expansions. Feel free to add me, my OCTGN nickname is truelolzor.

Link to download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo6nrrphobozzdq/Dark%20Corners%20o...

A couple of cards from this expansion:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the theme is absolutely amazing! Great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marnix de Wit
Netherlands
Sliedrecht
flag msg tools
GamerDAD!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very cool, but what is the use of readying when you play a song, because songs are attachments. Readying in the planning phase looks a bit useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are two event Song cards from the game itself:

And there are couple of Song events in my expansion itself, the cards I provided here is just a little bit of what's inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marnix de Wit
Netherlands
Sliedrecht
flag msg tools
GamerDAD!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, makes more sense then. Nicely done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are really nice... Is there a chance of submitting in BGG a high quality file for those who prefer printing the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marasaurio wrote:
They are really nice... Is there a chance of submitting in BGG a high quality file for those who prefer printing the expansion?
What do you mean by a high quality exactly? If I am not mistaken, the current resolution of image files is already bigger than actual physical cards themselves. However, I wouldn't print anything just yet, the set if very fresh and there might (and most probably will be) some balancing issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Work - really impressive art as ever.

Particularly like the Mount-themed stuff - unfortunately, there's a minor typo in Trample - "defedning"

how does Elite Rohirrim Horseman stack with the new Spirit Theoden just spoiled by Fantasy Flight? - can I reduce the cost by three for allies in my discard pile, then by an extra one for Theoden?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the typo!

Yes, I would rule it that way. The limit that is printed on the Elite Rohirrim Horseman is applicible only to it's effect, so if you have 3 Rohans in your discard pile and Theoden, you may play Elite Rohirrim Horseman for just 1 resource! (or for 0, if you have Grima as well )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody cares, I updated the set (link remains the same). Couple of cards fixed, couple slight reworks. Changed preview cards in the main post are updated accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RegisF
France
flag msg tools
badge
Nice job.

How did you create the extension on octgn ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm correctly undrstand what you're asking, then here is a developer guide from the OCTGN page: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/wordpress/lotrlcg/developer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edvando Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
Wow! Im really impressed by your work. Generally I don't like custom cards, but your design is much, much better then the First Age cards!

Just to say why I like your design: You don't make overly complicated cards, the theme on you cards are really good, you expand on existing traits and cards, the selection of images is suburb, most cards seam balanced and also fun.

Also, I want to print your cards, but there is some typos and some errata from my personal taste that I want to do. Is it possible for you to send me the psd of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Well I had a lot of practice, and I'm glad that it bore some fruit that is noticed not just by me

As for the cards, you can contact me in private with the names of the cards you want to change (or to make it quicker - with the names of cards + the stuff you want to change).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thought that not everybody might know what's Spectral keyword is, so I changed a wording on this one:

What do you think about readability of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edvando Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
The wording seems fine, but english is not my mother language. I think his ability is really interesting, cool and fun! Only note is that text feel more like a Spirit Sphere ability though.

I want to change too much to tell you, also I'm going to be slow moving with it, because I wish to print the cards, so I must make sure that I love all the cards, that they are playable and fun, for my taste specifically. I basically pay triple to print, because of my weak local currency.

I just went and took a look at your previous work and I'm really impressed! I really dig the henchman, love most of the ents and almost worship the revision of the earlier sets.

I'm sending you a PM!

EDIT: When I say print, I mean Art Cow or Print Studio for high quality card printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diedert Koppenol
Netherlands
Drachten
flag msg tools
-For the most part, I like what I see. I think you have a lot of talent compared with the vast majority of fan made stuff which is mostly wordy confusing overpowered junk. You have a knack for elegance and subtlety as well as being creative. Anybody can make power cards and crazy bizarre cards, but it takes talent to make simple and solid cards.

-So, I don't like card names that are titles instead of names, like "Master of such in such" instead of "Harold the Great". Even if you are just making up names that would be better than titles, especially on hero cards or unique cards. The one exception might be the "Unassuming Old Man" which just seemed cool.

-I think you are a little too enamored with effects that ready characters. You just have a ton of them. Try applying your design skill to producing other effects. For instance, I like your red Eowyn because she fit perfectly with the other Rohan cards and there was no ready effect. That being said, I think my favorite card in the entire set was the hired hand. He has absolutely perfect flavor. I think I would add on the end of his ability "...Then discard him if you have no resources." or something like that, but I loved the card.

-I loved, and I mean loved, the Minstrel tribe and their interactions with songs. I thought your cards in general were a bit too busy (and again too many ready effects) but simplified and more elegant Minstrels would be a ton of fun. I liked the "play this only if you control a minstrel" limitation on a lot of the songs. All of that was great and made your leadership hero above a lot of fun.

-The craftsman tribe, however, did not feel as strong. I felt like there wasn't a strong discernible theme. They sometimes returned to hand, sometimes ready stuff (too much of that again), sometimes interacted with artifacts or items, sometimes added resources. They were all over the place. I feel like you need one thing that unites them all together, like if they all collected resources on them (like some of them did) and then used those resources to perform various actions. I like tribes with solid memorable theme.

-I'm sorry I can't find all the cards easily, but I loved the spirit hero that let you start with 8 cards. I think the flavor was great, the setup ability was creative, etc.

-Radagast is too high threat IMHO and his ability is clunky. You could simply rework it as "Planning Action: Discard a card to choose a creature or ent card in a player's discard. Until the end of the phase you may play that card as though it were in your hand." That might be cool.

-The 7 threat hero that gets willpower and attack from resources is WAY overpowered, like beyond stupid overpowered. If he were put out as is I would make him 10 threat and get rid of thing where you discard him from play (is that ever going to happen, really?) but then his resource ability would still be broken (limit 1 per round maybe) Also, give him a name already.

-You get props for having an undead hero. Nice.

-You keep putting "limit 1 per hero" on the mounts, but then heroes can have like 3 different mounts, which is lame. Again, I would prefer "Limit 1 mount per hero" or something like that instead.

I could say a lot more, but that is all I have energy for right now. Hope it was helpful. Later.

A guy named DukeWellington posted this on the FFG forums, which you can no longer visit apparently. I deemed you deserved to read this.
Greetings from SarumanDK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gandalfDK wrote:
-So, I don't like card names that are titles instead of names, like "Master of such in such" instead of "Harold the Great". Even if you are just making up names that would be better than titles, especially on hero cards or unique cards. The one exception might be the "Unassuming Old Man" which just seemed cool.
I may name them eventually, but names is not something I come up with lightly, if something cool comes to my mind - I'll fedinetely use it.

gandalfDK wrote:
-I think you are a little too enamored with effects that ready characters. You just have a ton of them. Try applying your design skill to producing other effects. For instance, I like your red Eowyn because she fit perfectly with the other Rohan cards and there was no ready effect. That being said, I think my favorite card in the entire set was the hired hand. He has absolutely perfect flavor. I think I would add on the end of his ability "...Then discard him if you have no resources." or something like that, but I loved the card.
Yes, I got quite a bit of readiness, as action advantage is one of the most valuable resources of this game, but when I add readiness, I try to add it in some subtle way it won't get out of hand. Let me explain using my allies as an example:
1) Master Alchemist can ready any other character, but he costs 4 and needs to quest successfully 2 rounds to do that;
2) Descendant of Beruthiel readies on a negative for you effect - when you lose cards. It's also a response, meaning you need some side way to trigger it.
3) Hired Blade. First - it's thematic. Second, when you pay him to ready - you reduce your resources, presumably reducing his effectiveness (unless you got everybody stockpiling resources). Funny thing, older versions of Hired Blade indeed were discarded if none of your heroes had any resources on them. I ultimately decided to remove it because card was having too many conditions at once.

gandalfDK wrote:
-The craftsman tribe, however, did not feel as strong. I felt like there wasn't a strong discernible theme. They sometimes returned to hand, sometimes ready stuff (too much of that again), sometimes interacted with artifacts or items, sometimes added resources. They were all over the place. I feel like you need one thing that unites them all together, like if they all collected resources on them (like some of them did) and then used those resources to perform various actions. I like tribes with solid memorable theme.
I don't think craftsmen should have a strong distinct theme. There are different crafts, after all, and they can't be all about the same things. That being said, however, you might track the attachment interaction on many of my craftsmen. Funny thing, from 4 official craftsmen currently in the game - 2 work with attachments, 2 with some random stuff

gandalfDK wrote:
-The 7 threat hero that gets willpower and attack from resources is WAY overpowered, like beyond stupid overpowered. If he were put out as is I would make him 10 threat and get rid of thing where you discard him from play (is that ever going to happen, really?) but then his resource ability would still be broken (limit 1 per round maybe) Also, give him a name already.
I thought his ability was already once per round, it is in my personal files at least. Now I will explain you my reasoning beyond his stats and text. Aside from theme (by the lore, original Master of Esgaroth fleed with the riches and died of starvation out in the wild), his ability requires him to stockpile resources on him, which means he won't be spending them if he wants the stats, thats why his threat cost is low. About the discarding part - it's there to make keeping him on the border dangerous, because you can't prevent collection of the resource during the resouce phase, so if you want to keep him on his full potential - you need to have something to spend at least one of his resources before the next round. About his name - Master of Esgaroth is an offical Esgaroth title which was used to refer to the ruling person of this town.

gandalfDK wrote:
-You get props for having an undead hero. Nice.
Yeah, thanks. I imagine it as an urban legend come to life. A warrior of the old Esgaroth lineage, awoken by the havoc caused by Smaug, compelled by his wov to protect the town no matter what.

gandalfDK wrote:
-You keep putting "limit 1 per hero" on the mounts, but then heroes can have like 3 different mounts, which is lame. Again, I would prefer "Limit 1 mount per hero" or something like that instead.
Dude, I totally see where you coming from and I totally agree, but I work with what we have at hand. If I was the LotR LCG designer, every mount ever released would have "limit 1 mount per character" text. But unfortunately, there are already plenty of mounts released, and they do not follow that pattern, so I work with what I have.

gandalfDK wrote:
I could say a lot more, but that is all I have energy for right now. Hope it was helpful. Later.
Thanks for your input. It was very interesting to read.

gandalfDK wrote:
A guy named DukeWellington posted this on the FFG forums, which you can no longer visit apparently. I deemed you deserved to read this.
Greetings from SarumanDK
Thank you very much, SarumanDK, it's very appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simmons
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gimli + Relentless + Self Preservation = Dwarven Death Machine.

Trample is awesome.....I would gladly pay 1 for it its so good. Combo with Eomer/Firefoot would be super powerful and very thematic. Nice work sir! Do you want game testing feedback here or do you have another way you would like that? I am going on vacation soon, so I will be sure to load this in OCTGN and play around with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason why Trample costs 0 is because it requires a hero to be mounted in the first place, and then it needs you to give up that mount's utility (most mounts have some effect that requires exhaustion too).

You can give feedback in any suitable for you way. I'm subscribed to this thread, so if you'll post it here - I'll see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edvando Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
This is my review of the Dark Corners of the Middle-Earth expansion by Truelolzor. I will comment my opinions and thoughts about the cards, so everything I say is only my biased opinion and should be weighted as such. I think that the expansion is awesome overall!

===HEROES

General thought: All heroes are cool, flavorful and have special niches that they are good. I like that you try to have very interesting abilities and dont play safe (or go crazy). The only note is that some guys don´t have a name, which goes against what heroes are in the main game, but you probable know that. Also, names are fraking hard. Another cool thing is that you use a lot of limit once per round, which is a great idea to keep in check some abilities.

Melhior: You begin with +2 cards (which you can mulling) and can discard 2 cards to draw one. That girl make a deck with 2/3 copies of a lot uniques somewhat more viable, very cool and unique niche! I would prefer her to be in leadership, but that is asking too much.

Master of Esgaroth: Man, this guy is a powerhouse! He has a limiting factor and a risky ability (I´ve came sometimes to moments where I had tons of resources and no cards to play many times). I´ve made a quick search to see if there were any cards that let you easily dump resources wherever I wanted safely and didn´t find one. Thank god that his action ability is limited! I like this guy, with him you will always have a hard time deciding if you want to use resources or have a good quester/atacker. Most of the time he will have 2-3 resources on him, which make him a 3/4 atk/wp, which is ok since you need to work to get that resource. With 4, it is a risk, since after resource phase he will flee the battlefield.

Jael of the Song: Really dig the name. This guy is my favorite hero of the batch. I´m only worried that he has free card advantage in his ability, which make the songs a lot more powerful, since they can be fetched easily. Aspect that will challenge the power level any song that you ever make. In my humble opinion, instead of no songs in hand (which is a clause that will have you reveal your hand to all players to prove that you dont have a song, thing that is not cool) you should have to discard a non-song card to fetch a song card (limit once per turn).

Grandmaster Blacksmith: This guy is awesome! Love his art, ability and just his stats are not that great. Since he can play new weapons or armor on himself, that´s not a problem. My second most favorite hero of the batch.

Derin the Dead: This guy is basically gimli that is better at defending, but worse at attacking. When is is damaged, he is more intimidating, since he appears more dead. Very flavorful and cool hero!

Saruman: He is the only art that I dislike =/. He is very versatile, so he can play the doomed cards of any sphere. Cool way to make a neutral hero. I just think that the limit once a turn on this guy is a must, since there is a lot of 0 cost doomed cards, this guy can go out of control easily. With the help of Grima, holy guacamole! Not sure why you didnt include that on him. Man, he REALLY deserve an errata!

Radagast: My third favorite hero! Love the way that he can play ents and creatures, very nice niche for him. I just find it weird that his ability is not a planning action!

Watch Captain: I dig his ability. He is not as cool or as flashy as the other heroes, but he works and does his job well. He basically has more stats then written, since he gives +1 atk/+1wp plus whatever the action advantage already gave you (probable +1/2 wp, a defense or +1/2atk). To do that you need a esgaroth/craftsman/warrior ally, which is cool niche for him.

Now comes the two heroes that i didnt like =/

Eowyn: Very hard to pull of her ability for a small reward. Ok, she is a questing hero in a non-questing sphere, which is a cool niche. The problem is to pull that of every turn so she can quest effectively. Spirit version of her has 4wp consistently and possible +1/+4 if the need arise! This version only has +1atk/def and a different sphere. Sorry, didn´t like her at all.

The Hand of Castamir: The art is the same as a the villain in Steward Fear. You didn't knew at the time, but soon we will have hero version of Erestor, which combo with this guy, so you can insanely buy 5 cards every round! Same sphere even. Because Erestor exist, I don´t like this guy, which is not your mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About Jael - I despise the table talk rule and I percieve the game as an entity without it. It's a co-op game and players should have all the information they need to achieve victory. Plus, even with this rule, there is plenty of ways to notify everybody about everything in your hand or else with little to no effort, without breaking this rule.

Well, when bestowed this ability, my motivation to not limit it "once per turn" was because you're raising your threat - a resource that won't go down that easily, and the one that can get you eliminated. And Saruman is himself 14 starting threat.

Why Radagast should have a planning action? His ability is a passive ability, you can spend resources on allies only during the planning phase, so there is no actual need for that clarification.

Eowyn - there is more to it than just printed on her She has a decent base willpower for a Tactics hero, gets boosted by Theoden and makes sense to attach various battle stuff to her, while producing a red resource. She may be a bit underwhelming, but leaving play is a Rohan specialty. I'll give it a thought.

The Hand of Castamir - not just the art, the name too. It's literally the guy from Stewards Fear "turned to light". And now that Erestor comes out, I think the syngery is great! +1 card per turn is not a hell of an advantage, especially if you're going to discard it before the turn ends, but it still nice. Just think of Bilbo in single player - he just gives you +1 card per turn unconditionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edvando Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
Jael the way it is written would have problems with the way the game mechanically work. If you use the example of other cardgames and there is a card that said "Opponent must discard a creature card", if the opponent didn´t had a creature card, they would have to reveal his hand to prove it. I know this is a cooperative game, but Jael would instantly require a lot of inceptions in the FAQ document when released if he is written the way it is. This not to mention about he being a free card advantage summed with card searching toolbox, which is a really, i mean REALLY powerful ability! Not forgetting he even get action advantage out of it, all for 8 threat.

Maybe you right about Saruman. I´ve been including 3x Legacy of Númenor, 3x Deep Knowledge, 1x Close Call and 2x The Wizard's Voice distributed along my two 2handed decks just to experiment with Doomed, since I had a little prejudice about it. And man, they are useful! They are much better then I expected. I begin with 31 to 35 starting threat with both decks and use the doomed cards very liberally and they rock! The thing about threat is if you have 35 threat, anything more does not make a difference until you hit 50. So, because of that, maybe caution is advisable, since it is possible do draw 3-4 extra cards using his ability turn 1. But now that I´m thinking about it, the other heroes that you can compare him with are Gandalf/Treebeard which are insane heroes that can have some crazy interactions with cards (like Healing Herbs, Expert Treasure Hunter). Hummmm, I will side with you on this one, since you also pointed his starting threat cost works against him.

My problem with Eowyn is that you really want to have her +2 wp every turn, specialty if you play her for her wp. The way she works now, it would be really hard to do it even 50% of the time. Tatics Theoden make me cry =[. I´ve tried playing him a lot, but he is really bad =[

My main problem with Castemir is that he combo very well with Erestor, like they where brothers. They are like perfect for each other, too perfect. Can you understand what I mean? I would prefer his first ability was something else, but this is me.

Radagast second ability, the one that let him play creature and ents from discard should be a triggered ability and not a passive one like his first ability. In my opinion it should read:

"Planning Action: You may play creature or ents cards from your discard pile as if they were in your hand (limit once per turn)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but I'm not seeing it the way you do. For me, everything about him is perfectly clear. And about card advantage - maybe you're sporting not the last ediiton, but I've nerfed him that he may search his deck for a Song INSTEAD of drawing a card during the resource phase (if the player has no songs in his hand).

Well, my initial Tactics Eowyn was 4 willpower, 1 attack, 1 defense and 3 health, and she had text: After Eowyn commits to the quest, she gets +2 attack until the end of the round. But I later thought that a Tactics character with 4 base willpower is a bit too much, don't you think? Especially when paired with Theden when she gets to 5.

I understand the synergy, but I don't see it breaking the game anytime soon or something. The developers themselves created two heroes that make no sense without each other (Elladan and Elrohir), because they have each others names in their card text. Erestor and The Hand of Castamir are may be extraordinarly good together, but unlike sons of Elronds, they are both extremely decent separately.

Once again, it doesn't have to be an action at all. When I was creating Radagasts ability, I was using Gandalf hero as a basis, and he got no action printed on him at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edvando Filho
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sorry, I was reading a older version with free advantage, so that part is fine. Still, my point about "trust" of the guy affirming that he has no song is something I would like to avoid, specially because we don´t have a FAQ on that. If I play with Jael and I affirm that I have no song, someone could ask "how do I know that you don´t have songs on hand?". In this situation, what do you do? Manual or FAQ has no instruction on this. You could say he is not being cooperative or something like that, but he is making a valid and reasonable question. I´m not a fan of letting everyone knowing what I have in hand, because that incentive alpha players, people that will say what you should do.

Yes, a base unconditional 4wp tactics hero is maybe powerful. The best Tactic Eowyn, in my opinion, that I ever saw was:

"Tactics - Hero
(9) 4W 1A 1D 3HP
Noble. Rohan. Warrior.
After Éowyn commits to the quest, deal one damage to her.
When attacking alone, Éowyn reduces the the enemy's [defense] by one for each [willpower] she has."

I´m not sure about the attacking alone part, but the rest is awesome.

About Castamir I´m not saying he is breaking the game, he is actually fine, I´m just saying they are too synergistic together. I´m just not a huge fan of heroes that synergise in that level. Erestor make you discard you hand, Castamir first ability need you to have no hand, Erestor+Castamir make you draw a lot, Castamir help you maximize the utility of cards by having a build in discard for action advantage. Why I´m not of a fan of this? Because I think most heroes should work reasonable well with any hero, unless they have some thematic reason to work together (Elladan+Elrohir). Sure, some pairing could be better then others, but no paring should be too much synergistic. Why? to incentive diversity. But this is just me.

But as always, feel free to complete ignore anything I say. These are only opinions and (I hope) constructive criticism =D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.