Popular Tags: [View All]
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
......... Trade Geeklist is located here.

Key dates

Submissions Open: immediately
Submissions Close: Wednesday April 29 after 11pm
Want Lists Due: Friday May 1 at 11pm
Results will be posted ASAP afterwards.

Trade Date & Location

The main trade will take place at the Game On! Event at Shopsy's in Markham on Saturday May 9, hosted by Wood for Sheep. If you cannot attend that event, you are welcome to drop off and pick up your games at any of the following gaming events in the Toronto area.

Drop-off:
1. Sun. May 3, 12pm - 5pm @ Meeplemart - 247 Spadina Ave, Lower Level
2. Mon. May 4, 4pm - 10pm @ Face to Face Games - 2077a Danforth Ave
3. Tues. May 5, 5pm - 8pm @ Whole Foods - 4771 Yonge St
4. Wed. May 6, 6pm - 10pm @ 401 Games - 518 Yonge St, 2nd Floor
5. Sat. May 9, 2pm - 5pm @ Shopsy's - 7240 Woodbine Ave

Pick-up:
1. Sat. May 9, 5pm - 8pm @ Shopsy's - 7240 Woodbine Ave
2. Sun. May 10, 12pm - 6pm @ Meeplemart - 247 Spadina Ave, Lower Level
3. Mon. May 11, 4pm - 10pm @ Face to Face Games - 2077a Danforth Ave
4. Wed. May 13, 6pm - 10pm @ 401 Games - 518 Yonge St, 2nd Floor

Please send a geekmail message to the organizer once results are posted to confirm your drop off and pick up plans. For more information about any of these events, please see details on the Toronto Boardgame and Social Meetup Calendar (group membership is required to view calendar).

Notes

d10-1 Gift Certificates may be included only if they are purchased from Wood for Sheep and emailed to the recipient. Because most of the venues restrict the selling of product on their premises, cash substitutions are NOT permitted.

d10-2 There is no request list for this trade. Instead, please see the statistics page in the OLWLG to see what participants are looking for.

Once on the statistics, go to the header for Games that are "Wanted but not Offered".

To ensure your collection information is shown there, update your BGG wishlist then sync your BGG collection data with the OLWLG:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for arranging such diverse drop off and pickup days/locations. Definitely above and beyond normal organization of the Math Trade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get my stuff listed in the next few days, and then figure out my logistics... An interesting approach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the request option

Knowing what others would like is all well and good but isn't it dependent on users completing a wish list on their profile?

My wishes are constantly evolving I guess is what I'm saying cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it OK if we list our requests in this thread? I was planning on doing that..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cliffen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in London, but would be happy to drive up on May 9th to swap some games...

As my first math trade though, can someone walk me through the process of listing my wants/offers?

Edit: Ok, I got on OLWLG and have my profile loaded.
The Trade only shows 3 games and 1 User... Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a primer for this somewhere? What the heck is an OLWLG? And how does a "math trade" work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CliffHanger wrote:

Edit: Ok, I got on OLWLG and have my profile loaded.
The Trade only shows 3 games and 1 User... Is this correct?

Yes until it is updated. This was the part that caused me the most confusion originally. Once it does a newer sync you will see your items, other people's, and the Step 4 where you start to select wants will open up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
futabachan wrote:
Is there a primer for this somewhere? What the heck is an OLWLG? And how does a "math trade" work?

Take a look here for an overview of the process and terms: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades#

If you have any questions about specific aspects of anything in there, post your questions here. I'm sure any of the regular traders would be happy to try and clarify things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futabachan wrote:

This page https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG has a number of good information. As mentioned above until you post at least 1 item and the BGG list gets synced up with the website not all screens will look like examples you may see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
mgoddard wrote:
Quote:
d10-3 Gift Certificates may be included only if they are purchased from Wood for Sheep

Hmmm, thanks for pointing this out.

Given the parameters of this Math Trade, makes perfect sense, but also sadly, lessens the value of Gift Certificates.

Thank you Matthew and Marcus for your comments. Please note that I will be reviewing the posted items before each sync with OLWLG and removing items that are in violation of the rules, since editing the item to lessen the value is also not permitted.

John Wong - if you want to repost your gift certificates, please ensure they are denominations available on Wood for Sheep website (link is in the trade rules), and ensure your post specifies that they are for Wood for Sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Is it OK if we list our requests in this thread? I was planning on doing that..

Here are the things that are high on my wishlist:
- Galaxy Trucker
- Castles of Burgundy
- Camel Up
- Navegador
- Gulo Gulo
- Macao
- Gift Certificates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaMatra wrote:
I miss the request option

Interesting! Can you explain why you prefer the request list over the statistics page?

SaMatra wrote:
Knowing what others would like is all well and good but isn't it dependent on users completing a wish list on their profile?

It does require people to complete a wish list on their profile, the same way the request list requires people to post games they are interested in. In previous trades, some of the participants use the statistics page, and some use the request list, which means that each group misses half the information. It makes sense to get everyone using one method. My preference for the statistics page is that it is automatic and all inclusive, whereas a request list is additional work for the participants and organizer.

SaMatra wrote:
My wishes are constantly evolving I guess is what I'm saying cool

The statistics page would address your constantly evolving wishes better, since it can be updated constantly throughout the trade, instead of being locked in at a fixed point when you decide to post games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Request List is a little more "proactive", too. I may or may not bother to look at what people have marked "want in trade". However, if I'm not planning to list my copy of a game, but someone puts it on the Request List, I might give it a second consideration, especially if there's something in the trade that I'm really interested in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
The Request List is a little more "proactive", too. I may or may not bother to look at what people have marked "want in trade". However, if I'm not planning to list my copy of a game, but someone puts it on the Request List, I might give it a second consideration, especially if there's something in the trade that I'm really interested in...

I'm not sure what you mean by "proactive". Is it just that you think people REALLY want it if they're willing to put the effort into posting it on that list? Cause I don't think that's true for everyone.. Sometimes people don't even put the games they added to the request list on their final want list.

What you describe is exactly how I use the statistics page. I look through the items that people want a few days before the end of the trade, and consider listing them, especially if there's something in the trade that I'm really interested in... I just find it a lot easier to look at a consolidated list than to have to scan through multiple pages of a geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:
Interesting! Can you explain why you prefer the request list over the statistics page?

Let's see if I can answer by means of a scenario:

Suppose I'm a lurker on local math trade forums - which was true for a while before I got my feet wet.

So I'm browsing both lists - what's put up and what's requested.

While browsing the requested list I see a familiar entry. Hey - I own that game!

Then I look through my own collection and think on it - Hmm. I haven't REALLY played that game in a while - maybe I should flip it for something new for the game group...

Result - I join the trade, put the requested game up and start looking for a new entry for my collection.

You see?

Only if a game is overplayed, dry, or just not desirable will the game owner take the PROACTIVE step of putting a it up for trade.

However, having a request list makes a user be REACTIVE - putting up a game he might have forgotten about up for trade when the realization sinks in that others might get more enjoyment/gameplay out of it than he does.

He may not even have a game in mind at that point to acquire in trade but that hardly matters at this point.

TLDR version - the request list can drive users to put more games up to trade making it a larger more successful event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "proactive". Is it just that you think people REALLY want it if they're willing to put the effort into posting it on that list?

There's a bit of that - but it's also the difference between "I've got a want list here, if you're interested in looking it over" and "Hey, are you interested in putting your copy of Galaxy Trucker in the trade?"

I'm fine either way... I'm used to having Request lists, but it's not a big deal for me if we don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Basically from what I gather people are saying that if a particular person uses the request list to list a game that they want. Another user might see it and say "hey this person took the extra time to post that game on the request list maybe there's a high chance of me trading that particular game away if I put it up."

Unless I am completely wrong. Anyways when I've looked at both lists I tend to consider games that are on the request list stronger than the lists on the math trade website. Because a lot of people do not keep their wishlists/trade lists up to date.

But I do see Sarah's point in making things more standard. It's like making a game more streamlined. Basically making it so that there aren't multiple outlets for the same thing and it won't confuse new users as to which way they should be posting items. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PahToots wrote:
Basically from what I gather people are saying that if a particular person uses the request list to list a game that they want. Another user might see it and say "hey this person took the extra time to post that game on the request list maybe there's a high chance of me trading that particular game away if I put it up."

Another good point. The chances of getting a game traded away are increased if someone actually requested the game in the first place.

And I don't think it is THAT confusing for new users to mistaking a want list and a trade list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer a request list as well for all the reasons discussed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
Hello Sarah.

Could you please tell us a bit more about the role "Wood for Sheep" plays in this trade? Is there a business affiliation between "Wood for Sheep" and "Shopsy's"? Or between either of those and the organizers of the trade?

Many thanks,
-O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious... why are you limiting the GCs to only Wood for Sheep when you're also using 401, Meeplemart, and Face to Face as alternate pickup/dropoff locations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input. Maybe I'm slow, but I still don't see the advantage of a request list over the OLWLG statistics, and I'd really like to encourage everyone to use the same list. Without a request list, we can already see that there are:

4 people who want a copy of Suburbia
4 people who want Galaxy Trucker
3 who want Imperial Settlers
3 who want Castles of Mad King Ludwig
.. and the list goes on ..

I would encourage people to update their want lists, sync their BGG account with the OLWLG, and try using the statistics page for this trade. It's available at this link (if the OLWLG allows links): http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/glstats.cgi?listid=190133#...

I am also not stopping anyone from creating an unofficial request list, but I'd rather avoid all the emails I typically get from new users who don't understand the difference between the want lists and request lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapsus wrote:
Hello Sarah.

Could you please tell us a bit more about the role "Wood for Sheep" plays in this trade? Is there a business affiliation between "Wood for Sheep" and "Shopsy's"? Or between either of those and the organizers of the trade?

Many thanks,
-O

There is no formal business affiliation between Wood for Sheep, Shopsy's or me. Wood for Sheep has been hosting an event at Shopsy's on the 2nd Saturday of every month for more than 2 years. As the organizer of the Toronto Boardgame and Social Meetup group, we have been helping to promote this event since the beginning. It's mutually beneficial since our attendees buy food & drinks from the venue, and Nathan (Wood for Sheep) and I both want to provide more opportunities for people to play games.

Based on the survey results, the Shopsy's event was a logical choice since it already has a decent turnout and the location has a lot of parking while still being TTC accessible. The other pick up and drop off locations are included to allow people who aren't able to attend to still participate in the trade, but the Shopsy's event is intended to be the main location.

Since Wood for Sheep is the host of the event, and they sell online gift certificates which will allow us to avoid the appearance of purchasing games at the events, it seemed like the logical choice to promote them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
I'm curious... why are you limiting the GCs to only Wood for Sheep when you're also using 401, Meeplemart, and Face to Face as alternate pickup/dropoff locations?

The Shopsy's event, hosted by Wood for Sheep, is the main trade location. They are supporting this trade and allowing us to use their event, so it makes sense to promote their business as a thank you for their support. The other locations are simply alternate locations where we already have regular gaming events; they are not providing anything additional to support this trade. If another store had volunteered to provide the space and time required, I would certainly have restricted the gift certificates to their venue instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.