Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb

I know nothing about the American Civil War, yet I'm intrigued about the press these games get, and the maps look gorgeous.

What would be a good one-two punch of this game and a book on this campaign portion of the Civil War. I like battle descriptions and good maps about battles, plus some of the background of the generals and men that fought in the battles.

I like playing OCS when I get to, and I've been getting back into ASL just recently. Will I like what this game has to offer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Hinterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like ASL (can't speak for OCS), you should like this. Although on the operational level, it, like ASL, tells a fantastic 'story' as you play. Each scenario can be replayed time after time. A lot of unpredictability (roll and move - yes, roll and move!), but that's what gives the game its 'story'.

The notes in the rulebook offer an excellent overview of the campaign and you can even follow along with the game map. It's worth noting that you're really getting two or three campaigns in the game. Capture and relief of Chatanooga then the campaign to push the CSA out of the region and off 'Lookout Mountain'. Plenty of reading material out there but Shelby Foote's second volume I think covers it. If you're not fussed with arguments about historiography and theory, then that's one of the finest. 'The Longest Night: a Military History of the Civil War' is also excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an GCACW one-two punch I would play / have the maps handy from Stonewall Jackson's Way II and the book "Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas" by John J. Hennessy.

For me the book made the game "click" and while the game came alive in the pages of the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Hinterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just notices I was talking about 'BAttle above the Clouds' not SJWII! SJWII also gives you at least two campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls