1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

Up Front» Forums » News

Subject: Hasbro/WOTC release Up Front as Print on Demand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] print-and-play [+] [View All]
Kashirigi
msg tools
mbmb
After laying out a pile for my copy a couple of months ago, it looks like you can now get everything except the original box for $50 US.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete...

Each deck appears to be available separately if required, and they are "remastered" versions of the originals, not a redesign.

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere and hence redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting....very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that my old AH copy just raised in value ... again ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow.

I am having trouble believing what I just saw.

Problem solved.

I hope they put up Desert War and Banzai. I would buy those immediately.

Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great solution.

Love the small size personal cards. No doubt good quality.
Original is rather flimsy. Maybe I will buy those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for the action deck. I cannot stand playing with card protectors, but I didn't dare doing so with my set. Now I can buy this and shuffle them to death without worry while keeping the originals in their protectors unused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This is huge. Talk about coming out of left field...I didn't see this coming at all. No hype, no shilling, just a complete product appears one day, like Athena springing fully armed out of Zeus' forehead.

Hopefully this will help to rescue the reputation of Up Front out of the gutter where it had been dragged by those reprehensible con artists who used Kickstarter to rob Peter to pay Paul. People will start playing the game instead of talking about fraud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hassell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My mind is blown. Yep, it's definitely blown.

After giving up on ever getting the Kickstarter that I bought, I purchased a used copy of both Up Front and Banzai. Later I purchased the Artscow cards, as the action deck in the used copy I bought is worn.

Naturally, I bought this.

I'll be interested in the quality of the action deck, which is my current concern. But I wanted to buy this as a message to the company that I didn't buy the Artscow cards simply to bypass their rights. I bought the cards because I wanted a playable copy.

I hope they will follow with Banzai and Desert War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little disappointed of the quality of the rules...
It's just a scan and they didn't really bother to align the pages properly...
Let's hope the cards will be nicer.

and +1 for the expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but what does THIS mean for....ah, forget it.

Excellent news for fans of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidlhsl wrote:

After giving up on ever getting the Kickstarter that I bought, I purchased a used copy of both Up Front and Banzai. Later I purchased the Artscow cards, as the action deck in the used copy I bought is worn.

I'll be interested in the quality of the action deck, which is my current concern. But I wanted to buy this as a message to the company that I didn't buy the Artscow cards simply to bypass their rights. I bought the cards because I wanted a playable copy.

I'll report back in a week or so about the quality of the action cards. I actually wouldn't mind if they are thinner, I want them to shuffle easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hassell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
davidlhsl wrote:

I'll report back in a week or so about the quality of the action cards. I actually wouldn't mind if they are thinner, I want them to shuffle easily.

I'll do the same when I get my copy. I'll also report if there are any problems using the card errata posted here on BGG:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35183/card-errata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I've already paid $50 for this. Do Kickstarter suckers get a coupon or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kashirigi wrote:
After laying out a pile for my copy a couple of months ago, it looks like you can now get everything except the original box for $50 US.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete...

Each deck appears to be available separately if required, and they are "remastered" versions of the originals, not a redesign.

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere and hence redundant.

Unbelievable. I even already have wargamevault account. Ordered.

So how's that kickstarter project coming along? whistle

Edit....

You get the .pdf of the rules right away. They are literally a scan of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I've already paid $50 for this. Do Kickstarter suckers get a coupon or something?

Looks totally unrelated to the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, I would LOVE to see the expansions done for the game. I would most definitely buy in on those.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, my mind is also blown.

My kickstarter money would have paid for this nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Liljequist
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes..Too bad this did not come around first/longtime ago...none of this (kickstarter) would be going on right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought.
Now I won't have to feel so antsy about damaging the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the end of the world as we know it.

I feel fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I find most fascinating is this:

'With permission from rights-holder Hasbro (owner of Wizards of the Coast and Avalon Hill)'

Yep, most interesting indeed. The only fly in the ointment I see is that the action deck is printed on card stock as well rather than as playing cards. I think for now I'll wait until we hear back from some folks who order this. But this news is as incredible, maybe more so, than Rik posting an update on the KS page.

Edit: Ah, I hadn't watched the video yet. That looks like some pretty good cards for playing the game. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get this as a play copy for my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken McElhaney
United States
Tulsa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, Hasbro/WOTC/Avalon Hill still owns the rights to Up Front. Well, that's one little mystery solved. I'm purchasing a copy just for the replacement action deck (you never can have enough) and hope that one day Wargame Vault will expand their services to create new card art for "jungle", "wadi" and other terrain so I won't have to "imagine" a stream as a wadi when playing desert scenarios.

As for the Rik/KS project, I really feel like laughing at this point. What explanation will Rik pull out now after he's "promised" to find another publisher for a game that is already being published? Oh well, I say just buy into this edition from Wargame Vault and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought in for Up Front on the KS at $30. Then I transferred my AIYP pledge money to Up Front after a few delays to hopefully get several expansions.

So with all that sunk into a game I have yet to play, I am just too soured on the whole thing to throw another $50 at it.

If something ever comes of the KS, thats great. If not, I am perfectly happy with not spending another dime on Up Front.

I am glad that those wanting Up Front have that opportunity now outside of the secondary market. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
Venezuela
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an unsatisfying conclusion for all the Kickstarter backers, I agree.

Great to see that it's available again, yes, but still. A long and tortured road, with a lot of disappointment and hard feelings in its wake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Hasbro owns the rights to Up Front as it was originally printed, and Courtney Allen owns the game's concept.

That conflict is the key to understanding the MMP/Hasbro 2000 collectible-card-game version debacle that didn't come to fruition, and apparently also this "approved" reprint of said original. It also is the simplest explanation as to why Hasbro didn't/couldn't come after Courtney Allen's approved reprint/redesign project from a legal standpoint.

As a fan (played 2,500 games since 1983) and print designer of 25 years, I also find it unusual as to why these aren't on actual playing card stock?

You go through all the hoops it took to get Hasbro's permission to run this thing, then cheap out on playing card stock? Drive Thru Cards charges $0.08/card for 320gsm black core playing card stock used in every major CCG ... $12.96 for the 162 action cards on real playing card stock. As a designer of more than two decades, I also hope that the scans of the cards were done at a high-enough resolution that there is no pixelation at all.

LATER EDIT ... These are being printed on the premium playing card stock I print my own games on and it's great. Just to fix that.

Anyway, for those interested and who don't know, the following errata will need to still be noted on the base game if this is a straight reprint of the scanned cards:

- The black 7' under column 9' should be a black 1' on card #7.
- The Marsh cards should have a TEM of -1, not +1.
- All Movement cards with black RNC incorrectly refer to a shift of 2 to the left for an infiltration attempt. This reference should be 2 to the right. Cards #1-3, 5-13, 18, 158 and 159 are affected.
- Two of the ATMM counters contain a misprint on the reverse side they should read “6-0 is EL”; not “1-6 is EL”.
- German #23 personnel card should be a 'SL' not an 'ASL'.
- German #38 CE-side middle column should be labeled "FT FP"; not "To Hit #".
- The pinned CCV of Pvt Klapp (#27) should be 2/-2, instead of the printed 2/-1.
- American #38 AFV should read "CE:9" on the front; not "Button Up".

Also, Scenarios B, C and D have the wrong German soldiers listed; #16 takes the place of 22 in B and D, and the place of 9 in C.
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.