Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: FFG unofficial answers to rules questions thread - read first post for instructions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

Purpose: I want to start a thread just for collecting unofficial answers to rule questions from FFG.
Everybody who has an unofficial rule answer from FFG to a rules question, please post it here. I recommend one question/answer pair per post, additionally try to make the topic clear by printing it bold.
One way to ask a rules question is to use their online form, link: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/
Please search for answers first here in the forum (go to the forum and then press "Search) or google it before writing them

Non-FFG answers: If you feel the urge to contribute to an FAQ not basing on FFG answers, please visit this thread: Unspecified Rules Collection Thread (community collection for upcoming updated rules, errata/FAQ)

Disclaimer: Of course, the answers presented here might differ from answers given later on. And there is no warranty for their correctness.

Wiki: Later on, I will transfer the answers here to a wiki page here on BGG, similar to the one of Descent 2nd edition. I already have the layout ready and will fill it once I have question/answer pairs together, here you can look at the wiki:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assau...
Once I put some content in there I will post a Meta Thread for discussion on the Wiki

Important Note: This thread is only for posting questions + the corresponding answers from FFG. This thread is not for discussion of the given answers. Please take this discussions to another thread to maintain the clarity of the thread.

P.S.: Yes, this thread was inspired by a similar thread for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), namely this one:
"FFG Sez" thread (LINK to Wiki in 1st post) - unofficial answers to rules questions. READ FIRST POST for instructions, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technological Superiority Class Deck: Arc Blasters
If you do damage a figure with Arc Blasters which is already stunned, does it still have to roll a test? Therefore loosing for example Focus?
Paul Winchester, FFG wrote:

For Arc Blasters, a test is triggered regardless of whether or not the figure is already Stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaarkhan's Brutal Cleave: Must target be legal in terms of a normal attack? Is Brutal Cleave a separate attack?

Is the Brutal Cleave attack considered a separate attack? Can I switch weapons in between? Do I need to be able to attack it normally with the chosen weapon?
Justin Kemppainen wrote:

He still has to choose an eligible target, meaning adjacent (or 1 space away with Reach) and in line of sight. Interestingly, the second attack doesn’t specify that it needs to be the same weapon, so he could indeed use a different one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: mild spoilers concerning the Mission Drawn In
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Mission: Drawn In, possible actions of incapacitated heroes. Can incapacitated heroes move through strain?

Can an incapacitated hero during the mission Drawn In gain movement points through strain? Is there anything an incapacitated hero can do other than move, for example interact with a crate? Is gaining movement through strain considered an ability or standard rule?
Justin Kemppainen wrote:

No, an incapacitated hero cannot use strain to gain movement points and can only use actions as specified by the mission. Drawn In only allows moves, not interacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jyn's Quick Draw & Trick Shot to attack figures out of her LoS

If a Trooper "just around the corner" (out of LOS) activates, can Jyn activate Quick Draw and Trick Shot (to gain LOS) to attack him?
Justin Kemppainen wrote:

Yep! That combination of abilities is legit, and they remain legit even if the target is not currently in line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Allies suffer strain, e.g. for "Prey on Doubt"

Can Allies (therefore non-hero characters) decide to suffer strain, e.g. for the Prey on Doubt card?
Paul Winchester wrote:

The restriction on optionally suffering strain is only on heroes who have maxed out their Endurance stat so an ally could choose to suffer the strain for Prey Upon Doubt and take it as damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
How does "Arsenal" interact with the command card "Deflection"?

Paul Winchester wrote:
The “Arsenal” ability is always active, meaning that the dice pool can always change from moment to moment in the game. When declaring an attack, you do not need to decide which dice you are using. This doesn’t need to happen until step 2 of the attack, rolling attack dice, since at that point you need to commit to what your attack pool will be since you have to actually roll the dice. Since “Deflection” is used when the attack is declared, IG-88 would still have option to choose his attack pool after the card is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Royal Guard Champion Executor ability
Which figure is "this figure"?
Justin Kemppainen wrote:
“This figure” refers to the Royal Guard Champion himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Siege hero/rebel Figure errata
At round four IP can choose one of the doors to explode. The guide says heroes are affected. I just got confirmed from FFG, that rebel figures should be affected instead (= including allies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacency to doors, Probe-Droid self destruct ability on doors
Which spaces are adjacent to a door? Where does the Drobe Droid need to be placed to have an effect with self destruct?
Paul Winchester wrote:

My general response to all of these possible scenarios is that the rule restricting what a door is or is not adjacent to overrides even what spaces the door is “occupying.” So, even though the door is occupying a space that is adjacent to the Probe Droid, the door itself is not adjacent to the Probe Droid because the Probe Droid is not in one of the spaces that it must be in in order to be considered adjacent to that door. The same ruling applies to Blast and Grenades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission "The Source" - LoS of the Imperial Officer
Does the Imperial Officer need to have LoS or is LoS from the figure he wants to order is enough? For example if Mak is blocking LoS to the targeted Imperial figure for the Imperial Officer but the target figure has LoS to the Imperial Officer because Mak's Covert ability applies, can he still be a targeted by the ability? We ruled no.
Paul Winchester wrote:

You ruled correctly. Since the mission ability lets the Officer trigger “order” on any figure within his line of sight, the fact that E-Web has line of sight to the Officer is irrelevant as all that matters is what the Officer can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diala's Precise Strike out of her activation - and any "once per activation ability"
a1bert wrote:
Diala's Precise Strike specifies "limit once per activation". Does it
a) imply it is only usable during her activation
b) the limit applies during her activation, and she can use it freely outside of her activation (once on Gideon's Command and upto twice if Gideon has Masterstroke)
c) limited to once during her activation and once during any figure's activation (Gideon's activation).

Of course, provided she can pay the strain cost.

c) is probably the closest to the literal interpretation, and due to the 2 strain cost, in practice b) and c) do not differ that often.

Hi Pasi,

Your option c) is correct. A “once per activation” ability can be used once during each activation, should the situation to use it arise.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once per Activation abilities during End of Round events
A follow-up clarification.

An ability that is limited to “once per activation” cannot be used if no activation is occurring.

Spoiler for Temptation:
So, Diala could not use her “Precise Strike” ability during her End of Round attack trigger during Temptation.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taleden .
msg tools
A followup to that followup clarification: sometimes an activation is technically occurring even if you might not think so. In particular, I once asked FFG about mission rules that cause figures to "take one action after each <rebel/imperial> activation, instead of of activating normally". The 'instead' implied that no activation was happening (which could be interpreted to forbid the use of special actions, which are 'once per activation'), but FFG ruled otherwise:
Paul Winchester wrote:
When a figure activates in this capacity, each of those actions contains its own separate “start” and “end” of activation and resets the activation count. So, Jyn can Quick Draw the RGC when it takes one of those actions and it may use Brutality as often as it wishes using those actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission "The Source" - Moving with the Officer while stunned

Me wrote:
Mission: The Source
If the Rebel figure interacts with the Officer and chooses the first option,
1. must the Rebel figure move if it doesn't want to?
2. can the Rebel figure move if it is stunned (i.e. is the movement voluntarily exiting space?)

Paul Winchester wrote:
Yes, the movement is mandatory and no, the Rebel figure cannot move if it is Stunned. Answer 2 overrides answer 1, so a Stunned Rebel figure could still trigger the first option by interacting and then be unable to complete the second half of it.

Personally I think there's something wrong with that answer. The movement seems to be both mandatory and voluntary at the same time. If anyone wants to comment or discuss this, do make a thread, I'm too lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'm not supposed to discuss here. Will delete this if needed.)

I don't think there's anything wrong. Even if an effect can not be performed, you can still select the option. For example you can Pounce and land somewhere where you don't have any valid target.

The Stunned condition has CANNOT, and thus has precedence over other rules.

Also, mandatory movement by 2 spaces can still be interpreted as mandatory movement of 2x 1 spaces, and make it voluntary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group deployment - a single deployment point? Yes.
Hi Pasi,

Your interpretation of Brace for Impact is correct.

And yes, during a deployment, all figures from a group must deploy to the same deployment point.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saska's Gadgeteer ability
Saska's 3 XP "Gadgeteer" reads:
Quote:
You can attach 1 additional modification to each of your weapons.

Does this only work on weapons which already have slots? Or can Saska pimp a DXR-6 with a Tactical Display?

Paul Winchester wrote:
Yes, this can allow a player to attach 1 modification to a weapon that would normally allow 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Entanglements Rebel Deployment
In Imperial Entanglements there is no entrance, (I'm getting ahead of myself here) there are in effect two. My question was who deploys the rebels in this mission (normally the IP makes all mid-mission deployments) and what to do with allies. The intent seems to be to split the entrance into two halves, but groups are still not split, and the as-evenly-as-possible counts heroes/ally groups, not separate figures. Also, it is not a mid-mission deployment, but an alternative way for the rebels to deploy themselves.

The intent of the deployment in “Imperial Entanglements” is that the heroes may deploy their own figures. Allies are also deployed to the blue points and should be included in the calculations for “as evenly as possible.” Since the troopers cannot be split up, they should be considered as 1 group (so if there were 3 heroes, one blue point would have 2 heroes and the other would have 1 hero and the rebel troopers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generous Donations End of Round and End of Mission
Token handling (possibly other end of round effects) happen before End of Mission: Round X trigger.
As for “Generous Donations,” the intent of the mission is that neutral mission tokens should be given to the Rebel players before the End of Mission event triggers.

Edit: Explanation about the issue:

Timing says that mission rules are performed first, then imperial effects, then rebel effects. If there are multiple of each, the imperial player decides the order for the first two and rebels for the last.

Round X: End of Mission is a mission rule. It is apparently performed at the end of round step of the status phase when the round dial matches the correct round number. Because imperial player decides the order of mission rules, theoretically he can choose to trigger the End of Mission before other mission rules that happen at the end of round.

The ruling is about that (for this mission at least). Other mission rules should be evaluated before the Round X: End of Mission trigger, so that mission rules are evaluated one last time just before the mission ends. (I did not need this ruling because I was able to wound all heroes, so the mission ended immediately without getting to the status phase.)

Other end of round mission rules can still be performed in the preferred order. (See also Under Siege, where the imperial does want to trigger the Round 8: End of Mission rule only after other end of round effects.)

After the core set FFG has gotten better at wording and use qualifiers and timings like "at the start of status phase" to avoid interpretation issues like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
a1bert wrote:
Token handling (possibly other end of round effects) happen before end of mission trigger.
As for “Generous Donations,” the intent of the mission is that neutral mission tokens should be given to the Rebel players before the End of Mission event triggers.

What does this mean, exactly? Is it implying that the last tokens should be handed out no matter how the mission ends? So if the last hero is wounded during the activation phase they still get a token for each active terminal before the end triggers?

My understanding is that end of mission triggers interrupt everything; so unless the trigger is the end of a particular round, or something that happens during the status phase (such as the distribution of the twelfth and final mission token in this case), there is no status phase before the end event. Is that correct?

If I remember the wording of the mission rules correctly, tokens are given to the rebels at the end of the round. The mission also ends at the end of a particular round. When two mission rules trigger at the same time, the Imperial chooses what order they resolve in, so going by Rules As Written, the Imperial could choose to end the mission before the rebels get any tokens for the final round of the mission. Paul Winchester's ruling is that the rebels receive any tokens from the final round before the mission ends due to time expiring. The ruling doesn't apply to other mission ending conditions (all rebels being wounded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incoming: Boardment what effects can be chosen for each figure
Q: In the mission "incoming": Can the Imperial player choose the effect applied to each figure freely. Or must he choose one effect which is then applied to all figures.

A:

For “Incoming,” the Imperial player chooses 1 effect and it is applied to all figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission The Source question. (Mission Briefing, so not that much spoilers)

Rules Question:
In the mission "The Source" the mission rules tell that a rebel figure can interact with the neutral officer to... The next line says the hero and the officer move 2 spaces. Is this movement limited to heroes or should it read figure as well or should the first line read hero? And to be clear, all 3 actions are done in one action and in the order written in the rules. (so first move, then open door) thank you.

Quote:

Hi Christian,

Very sorry for the delay in my response. Yes, the movement is limited to heroes. And your confirmation at the end is accurate.

Thanks and apologies again for the delay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a campaign, can Biv Bodhrik use his Close and Personal ability and then his Final Stand ability to perform a second Close and Personal in the same activation? Or does the general restriction on using on special action twice in the same activation prevent it?

Quote:
Yes. They are two separate special actions.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wording in Failsafe and Temptation
a1bert wrote:
Should the wording in Failsafe and Temptation be "has suffered damage" (the number of damage tokens) instead of "suffered damage" (damage from the current attack).

Hi Pasi,

Yes, both of these instances are misprints that will be corrected in the next errata. Both should read “has suffered” instead of “suffers.”

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.