Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is on a plane right now to KL. She'll have all day tomorrow to go shopping. Are there any good games stores in KL? Are they on the web? Are there any games that she might find cheap in KL that I wouldn't get in Australia? Thanks for any help!

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I'm heading back to Malaysia myself in a couple of days and wouldn't mind knowing which game shops have popped-up over the time that I was away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edwinmac here on BGG sells games. His prices are decent. He doesn't have a store but sells through the net. He used to have Star Wars Queens Gambit but I heard that someone in the US bought ALL his copies.

There are magic the gathering type stores in the city that have some boardgames but I can't recall the names off the top of my head...I think they're in a shopping mall called Wan Utama Shopping Complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, not sure if Edwin still has his shop in One Utama, but I think the game prices would be about the same (since both are imported from US/Europe).

You may find more info here: http://boardgamecafe.net/community/default.aspx

More likely your girlfriend will be clothes shopping in Mid-Valley anyway. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how Australian games stores are like, but as far as I know there aren't any big games stores in KL.
The few stores I know are either wholly online or in the surrounding suburbs. They seem to focus mostly on miniatures with boardgames on the side. Some have a "gamer's den" kind of look to then, rather than a regular retail store, so if your girlfriend isn't familiar with those she might be a little disappointed.

I think prices are comparable with those in Australia, from a casual search I did of Australian online games stores and stores with an online presence. Selection might be better in Australia too.

I'd suggest your girlfriend shop for other items rather than boardgames during her stay here. There are plenty of other things to buy or do in KL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
DHEK wrote:
I'd suggest your girlfriend shop for other items rather than boardgames during her stay here. There are plenty of other things to buy or do in KL.
Fair enough. What does KL sell that *I* want? :-)

She likes shoes. Is there a good place to buy shoes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
When I went to KL I contacted Edwin in advance and he provided me with a list of the games he had in inventory. I told him what I wanted and when I wanted them delivered to my hotel. The gentleman shows up with my games, I paid in cash (USD) and game shopping done.

Amazingly, the stuff I got from him included Traumfabrik and San Marco, both of which were way OOP at the time.

Edwin shops at Essen so he might have some goodies hidden in a back room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
My thanks to David for letting me know about this thread! Also thanks to the good folks who have purchased stuff from us

There are several places you can actually buy euro games in KL:

Online:
- http://web.mac.com/imagine_newszine

We just got the latest stuff from Essen so there's lots of stuff here that you will not find in the retail stores as they are gamer's games. Saulen der Erde, Mr Jack, Kaumpf um Rom, Haste Bock, Antiquity, Indonesia, Roads & Boats, Arbos, Haselwurz & Barenklau, Imperial, Antike, Settlers 10th anniversary + Atlantis expansion, Santy Anno, Himalaya, Evo, Silk Road, etc.

Unfortunately, our Essen games have not yet been updated on the site, so you have to find one of the posts under Essen games (1st & 2nd wave) to find out what we have.

We deliver next day to any address in KL, and you pay COD to our delivery guy.

Purchases over rm300 start qualifying for cash back, and above that, more cash back comes in at the next rm300, 400, and then every 500.

Also, online prices are about 10% lower than in stores.

Stores:
- Midvalley shopping center. Room. Small selection, mostly card & quirky games (Wench, Take Stock, etc).
- KLGCC. Room.
- 1 Utama. Room. Toys in Motion proprietor has ceased operations.
- Bangsar Shopping Center. York House & Comics Corner. Between both these stores, one floor apart, will be almost the entire range! York mostly family strategy, CC mostly sci-fi/fantasy.

The other stores are really game centers, where you can play (mostly for free):
- Toybox (Paramount Garden).
- Games Circle (Damansara Jaya).
- Comics Corner (Damansara Jaya & Subang Jaya).
- Wolf's (Amcorp Mall).
- Trisah & Sasha (Desa Sri Hartamas).

Also, another online store - www.boardgamecafe.net.

Think there's more than enough to keep most gamers happy!

Current OOPs we still have stock for:
- Lock & Load.
- L&L expansion: ANZAC Attack.
- Troia.
- Das Amulett.
- Railroad Tycoon.
- etc.

If you want something, just ask!

Oh, and yes, there is a lot to do in KL!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hor
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoes... well, in general, for clothes and accessories shopping, I'd suggest the Mid-Valley Megamall shopping complex.
Alternatively, for more upmarket fashion, try the Lot 10, Starhill and Suria KLCC shopping complexes.

As for yourself, I don't know what kind of stuff you'd like, but if you like tech products, your girlfriend might want to check out the Low Yat Plaza shopping complex. The whole complex is one big IT mall with mostly computer-related hardware products.
For souveniers and local handicrafts, try Central Market. They have many stores selling stuff that you might only get from Malaysia.

All locations are in KL and are easily accessible via public transportation. I'm sure the concierge at the hotel where your girlfriend is staying will be able to help with directions or information.

If you're into trying out "exotic" (unusual?) food or eating, you can also find many packaged sauces and food products to try at any good supermarket - stuff you might not easily find in Australia.

PS: For those interested, Edwin's online store is http://web.mac.com/imagine_newszine/iWeb/Site/Home/Home.html
I think prices are also posted there for some of the games, so you can compare. RM100 = A$35.
As for the games store at One Utama in Petaling Jaya, that one closed down many, many months ago. Quite a pity, I think, because I would have considered that one the only one I knew that was a more "retail" type of games store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was screening through the online store for a game that I've been very interested in for quite a while - Hamsterolle and noticed that it sells for almost RM200.

Next I scrolled through the sci/fi section and saw that War of the Ring goes for RM239!!

With just RM23 difference I would much rather purchase the latter. Does anyone know why Hamsterrolle is so expensive? Just wondering cause I want that game really badly..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry RM39. Here's what happens when you start posting in forums at 1am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macedwin wrote:

Current OOPs we still have stock for:
- Lock & Load.
- L&L expansion: ANZAC Attack.
- Troia.
- Das Amulett.
- Railroad Tycoon.
- etc.
hehe.. u forgot one more - Empire Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Ha2 - Rm199 is incredibly cheap for Hamsterrolle, which has USRP74.95!!!

The only reason we can even sell it at this low price is because we sell the Zoch version, so our price translates to EUR42, which is EUR2.10 above Zoch's retail price! Hardly enough to cover air freight & Malaysian cutsom duties

Personally, I think the high price is because of the perfectly round wood piece, which is made in Germany - land of beautiful handcrafted wood (and thus very expensive)!

I'm sure you know its AUS120 at Milsims... or Rm340!!! And I'm sure you know their price policy - We will not be beaten on price ;0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Empire builder not for sale, sorry... but if you ask www.boardgamecafe.net, I heard they recently got super rare copies of Space Hulk expansions ;0

Actually, we do have a brand new, shrink wrap copy of Dune (French version), but I don't think it would be appropriate to sell it to you cos I actually bought it from Melbourne many moons ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macedwin wrote:
Empire builder not for sale, sorry... but if you ask www.boardgamecafe.net, I heard they recently got super rare copies of Space Hulk expansions ;0

Actually, we do have a brand new, shrink wrap copy of Dune (French version), but I don't think it would be appropriate to sell it to you cos I actually bought it from Melbourne many moons ago
But I think it is not only appropriate but morally and ethically correct to sell your shrinkwrapped Dune to me rite, since I'm not from Melbourne? So deal? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Sorry, Dune also not for sale to Aussies disguising as Malaysians ;0

While you are in KL, check out the following (if you dare)!:
- Famous beef ball noodles: Jalan Bandar, next to Maybank.
- China import wholesale shops: Jalan Petaling, next to Chinatown. Buy everything from Mr Bean dolls to Nightmare before X'mas merchandize at wholesale prices!
- Toybox: Paramount Garden, PJ, next to Giant supermarket. Play as many of the latest euro games as you want for only Rm2.50 per day!
- Bar Luna, Rooftop Menara PanGlobal, Jln P.Ramlee (between Shangri-La Hotel and KL Tower). The most happening chill out spot in KL!
- Imbi & Sungei Wang Plaza, Jalan Bukit Bintang (center of town). Actually we can't recommend this place as it is infested with pirated computer/console software...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macedwin wrote:
Sorry, Dune also not for sale to Aussies disguising as Malaysians ;0
So... umm... you would sell me ur copy of dune right? Since I'm Malaysian and all ...

If I get it, I promise I'll take care of it really well. I'll laminate it, sleeve it, bag the bits and pieces into little zip lock baggies (separating it by colors, size, shapes and weight), and also I will coat the gameboard with UV coating to protect it against sunlight (sunlight causes cancer to gameboard. Not good). Oh, and the game box will also be carefully put into a nice little wooden crate with lots of foam and cushioning to protect the box against being damaged while transporting it to my local game meets... laugh

So, can I? huh? Can I have it???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
sorry, also can't sell to laminators disguising as malaysians!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macedwin wrote:
sorry, also can't sell to laminators disguising as malaysians!
But, there must be some kind of a mistake, I'm not 'The Laminator', I'm an 18XX Aficionado...

Btw, I've only met 'The Laminator' once and seeing his brilliant works of art in person (all his games including Tigris & Euphrates, Caylus and Die Macher are fully laminated) is a once in a lifetime experience.

Am I right, Captain Jeff??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
hey die macher was done by another laminator isnt it?

I should know..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklwc wrote:
hey die macher was done by another laminator isnt it?

I should know..
Only the cards. The tiles, score sheet and gameboard were done by the laminator. Too many stuffs to handle, so Laminator subcontracted the work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen yong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Friendless wrote:
My girlfriend is on a plane right now to KL. She'll have all day tomorrow to go shopping. Are there any good games stores in KL? Are they on the web? Are there any games that she might find cheap in KL that I wouldn't get in Australia? Thanks for any help!

John
Do check us out, we are a new board games cafe , HobbyNCoffee Board Games Cafe ( http://www.hobbyNcoffee.com )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeples Cafe
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

We're a board game cafe / game retailer located in Subang Jaya (KL suburb)!

We have over 400 board games for play in the cafe & sell over 2000 board game titles! (see the full list here: http://www.meeples.com.my/game-list.php)

Feel free to visit us or check us out at http://www.meeples.com.my/

Cheers,
Log
The Meeples Team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Elite
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Boardgame Elite where Deliver KS exclusive game only,they are online retailer who pledge KS games from around the world to fulfill customer need, they are base on Selangor, check them out on facebook, it's still new but ya check it out https://www.facebook.com/boardgamelite/

P.S free delivery and shipping around malaysia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls