BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: IF IT PLAYS IN PEORIA.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erich Keil
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My wife (Danielle) & I (Erich) moved to Peoria 2 yrs ago from Chicago (and LA before that). I'm a professor @ Bradley and she's a HS teacher soon to be grad student. We have been so busy with work/school that we don't have much of a social circle outside of work, and adjusting back to small town middle america has been a little rough. I used to play a lot of video games and have decided I needed to unplug as I was not making any new friends here in peoria 'playing with myself' and I love the social atmosphere games can create. I would like to get a group together, meet new people, etc. as well as find out where (if any) good game stores are in Peoria aside from the Toys R Us. Looking to form a fun social party group. Not too serious or competitive. My wife and I are both competitive people and love to win but I'm not looking for a hardcore gamers group devoted to racking up wins and stats, just some friends to kick back with a few tasty beverages and snacks and play some games. Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brennan
United States
Groveland
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Erich--

With regard to a game store, you're very definitely in luck. You need to stop by Just for Fun Games, which is located just off of the intersection of Lake and Sheridan in Peoria. I've visited quite a few game stores in quite a few different states (and countries, for that matter), and Mike at Just for Fun has one of the best selections that I've seen.

Best of luck,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game store in Peoria is Just For Fun games. They are located at the corner of Lake and Sheridan across from Evergreen Plaza. They are a fairly new store (less than a year old I think) but he stocks quite a lot of stuff, and the owner is very friendly. You can also try The Game Room, it is out in Washington (15-20 minutes from Peoria) just off the square. He doesn't quite have the stock that Just For Fun has, but you might meet more people out there. Of course there is also Hobbytown. Its out at Grand Prairie Mall. Decent selection, and you should be able to meet some other gamers out there as well. I live out in Canton, about 30-40 minutes from Peoria, and I have a small group that gets together on most Saturdays to play some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Netzley
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Erich,

Welcome to Peoria. I (Jason) and my wife (Sara) have enjoyed living here for a couple of years now. In fact, I think my wife works with you at Bradley. Stop by Dr. Netzley's office and say hello!

Several of us get together every other week at Paul Hassebrock's MECCA games in Lincoln, Illinois. Years ago (1994-1995) Paul ran Metropolis comics & games out of the same location, and his customer service and passion for the hobby are amazing. His annual game convention (I-con) was held in Springfield a few months ago, and it was a blast.

Support your FLGS and meet us in Lincoln (a short 45 minute drive), or better yet get in touch so we can set up a local Cosmic Encounter or Settlers game.

-Jason Netzley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Rosson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Erich,

I think we know each other... Anyway... Tuesday nights at Mike's place are open board gaming. Cara and I are there on occasion.

JUST FOR FUN GAMES.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Keil
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks to all, Just for fun is a fantastic store, and I am glad to see they're doing tuesday night games. Dani, Mark, and I have officially established our Sunday night game night at our house. We're going to play poker the first Sunday of every month and board games the other weeks. Any of you Peoria folk that are intersted, please let me know! We've got about 12 people so far that are interested and we're hoping to have enough that we can consistently have multiple games going even with the inevitable business of life that will prevent at least half the group from making it any given sunday.

Erich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls