David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Back At It on a Glorious Spring Day in The Cities

"...I think Paris is over there..."

When we last left the story, EiA Sawatdee Game III: MAR 28, 2015: French Ride to Victory on the Wings of a Damm Purple Pony , Turkey at enforced peace with the Coalition, Austria waiting to re-enter (Summer 1808), Prussia just sent to the bench (France forced out) and the Brits & Russian taking the war to France & Spain...

EiA Map variant 3; with number. ..and someone needs to do a great period map for this game!

July 1807: $200+ of Coalition forces make a daring escape

JUL 1807 Start

Great session: High EiA drama, good friends and fun discussions. Session began with combined FR/SP fleet of 89 ships attempting to break out of Naples vs 81 BR ships led by Lord Nelson. Dice were tossed: Brit hit a "5", inflicting 20 losses on the evil empire, while suffering 17 losses. FR/SP decided to gather all their remaining ships (a gaggle of ugly minors...and 50 in total) and make a run towards Naples. After the Naples failed breakout, the Allies sent the fleet blockading Naples to the coast of Spain, where it was reinforced by a big Allied fleet from the North Atlantic. With the naval phase completed, we then turned to high drama in East Prussia...

The BIG brit naval roll: a 5!

As you may recall, Prussia had been forced out by France (June 1807). This meant that 39 BR/RU SPs (including 8 British cav) were isolated vs a 110 SP FR/SP force. France moved first and pounced. Time to draw chits. Britain & Russia retired to the porch and debate either "Defend or Withdraw"; the implication that if France selected escalated, Wellington would be captured if he failed a die roll (needing a 4 or less not to spend some time with some friendly french prison guards). Of course, if Brits went with Escalated vs Defend, Allies would probably win - but, still experience significant losses...

France debated his choice. If Escalated vs Defend, he might lose the battle and not capture DA DUKE. Of course, if Allies selected withdraw - and failed their withdrawal roll - a great day. THinking thru the possibilities, Bob the Host also considered Outflank - the idea being that if the Allies Defended, he'd likely capture DA DUKE (Bob the Host believed there was no way the Allies would go with Cordon). Both sides settled on chits...

Time to reveal: France went with Outflank, while big balls Allies selected Withdraw...and DA DUKE slipped away into the night.

In the west, Russia continued to flood into southern France. Russia also managed to conquer Switzerland & Papacy from France. A Spanish attack on Russians in Rome failed miserably.

The horde of Russians heading west into France

August 1807: "We NEED a Strategy Conference"

August 1807

August began with almost the entire Allied fleet (132 ships) pouncing on an attempting to reinforce evil empire fleet (50 motley ships & crews) off the coast of africa. The Spaniard selected a die, tossed it high into the air (needing a 2 or less to evade) and landed it in a cup. When done spinning, a "2" appeared and shouts of glee rang out in the evil empire camp.

On the land, the Russians attempted to batter down the gates of Paris: 51 SPs (including the guard, the arty and a big cav force - the creme of Kutuzov's Expeditionary Force) vs a scared sh*tless french garrison of 18. Somehow, 4 french SPs remained after the battle and the gates of Paris remained closed.

AUG 1807 naval action

AUG Siege of Paris begins

In the East, the Brits & Russians (about 6 corps), doubled back (after retreating from the conquering French army - which now doublemarched west to rescue Paris - a LONG march from Konisberg!) and began concentrating to liberate a soon-to-be French Poland.

In Italy, French/Spanish forces into the alps, looked south and saw 4 juicy Russians minors (which Russia had liberated from the French on Kutuzov's ride to Paris).

In Britain, the Spanish Expeditionary Force of about 30 factors originally, was now the besieged and in danger of being pushed into the ocean.

Sensing that France & Spain were under significant pressure throughout Europe, the French ogre stated,"I think we need a strategy conference. In fact, we need a BIG strategy conference". Someone said, "YOU THINK???" Much laughter.

Spaniards on the island...but not for long

SEP 1807: Coalition moving pieces into France: France futility attempting to respond

AUG 1807 Conference of the Evil: French man and lackeys

September 1807: Russians Booooooooof a Break-in Die Roll

SEP 1807: Coalition in a planning session: Prussia with Cigar, Britain with a cap

SEP 1807: France moving on Italy

A round of diplomacy broke out, with Russia & France retiring to the study. A truce was discussed and then run by each side's respective allies. All allies said "NO": apparently, the other five players wanted France & Russia to bleed themselves - No truce!

SEP 1807 naval action

The biggest naval action of the game occurred off the coast of africa: 132 Coalition Ships vs 123 Evil Empire Ships. Drums were rolled, dice were tossed...

SEP 1807: One happy Brit

...and Lord Nelson had once again triumphed: losing 15 ships, with 26 more evil empire ships sent to the bottom of the Med.

On land, the 2nd Battle of Hastings occurred: Brits fighting Spaniards. In Portugal, Swed's fought Spaniards and pushed them back for sieged Lisbon. The big drama occurred in Paris...

10 Russian corps gathered near Paris (Russia had decided to punt on the defense of Italy and instead focus on denying French income (occupying Paris) and position (forcing main French army to fight in west France and not prepare for war with Austria). A Spanish corps appeared close to Paris: a target. Russia splits its force (only 4 french SPs remained to garrison Paris) into 2 groups; one to hold Paris and one to exterminate FR/SP corps in the vicinity.

4 Russian corps (including the arty...more on that below) caught the lonely 1st Spanish corps under Castanos at Bourges. Chits pulled; RU echelon vs SP cordon. Russians destroyed the force and captured the Spanish leader.

In Paris, it was time for the break (which would cost France about $140 net - a number of French provinces were occupied by Russia). At Bob the Source's insistence, we were using an optional this game: Arty provides a -1 on break-ins (Wendell refers to the rule - having been the victim of it at his Turkish capital as "The incredibly stupid and ahistorical artillery rule") . The Russian had dispatched his arty to vaporize the Spanish, thinking the additional pip on the die wouldn't make a difference. So, instead of needing a 2 thru 6, Russia would need at least a "3". Drums were rolled, a die was tossed into the glass of cruel fate. As the sweating bullets frenchman peered into the glass, this appeared:

SEP 1807: The $140 failure to break into Paris die roll

Not sure I've ever heard Bob the Source yell & laugh as loud: Paris had held.

As the turn ended, France conquered Switzerland back from the Russian. Russia ceded Tunisia (Germans in Africa!) to Prussia, once again demonstrating his all in commitment to the Coalition. France took the occasion to declare Poland; it will be interesting to see him defend it verses DA DUKE and his 6 allied corps.

October 1807: Debauchery in Paris and the Cleansing of an Island

The October naval phase witnessed the remnants of the evil empire fleet fleeing to Toulon. Turks sortied two fleets to off coast of Italy & Southern France, which raised a few eyebrows - and precipitated a discussion of the "ability to transport enemy corps allows enforced peace countries to immediately declare war" rule (a cool rule).

During the land phase, Kutuzov took Paris and the brits eliminated the last Spaniards on their beloved isle. At Lisbon, the Sweds were defeated, at which the happy Brit declared, "Well, we can't win them all this session".

At that point we called it a day: another fantastic gaming session completed.

OCT 1807: Paris falls!

OCT 1807: England cleansed of infestation

OCT 1807

OCT 1807: Political Chart end of turn

Wrap Up: Lots of Game Remains

Sit Rep: Start of Nov 1807

Post session dinner and beers at Bryant Lake Bowl (beef tacos are great, along with pulled pork and many other items - breakfast!): ran into 1st Mn's Sir Patrick there

We'll be back in action in June - maybe two sessions arrrh Bob the Host (France this game) commented, "I don't see this game ending anytime soon: a HELL of a lot of play left in it". I agree. Our EiA games end when 1 or more players aren't having any fun any more (situation hopeless - or a country or two has a substantial edge...we would rather restart and get everyone "involved" again)

The Call for a Pimped out EiA Map!

After the game, I started to think we need an EiA map redone; give it a Clash of Arms/period map type treatment. Something maybe similar to what was done with the Paths of Glory period map a few years ago. Any volunteers? Hope one gifted artist steps forward to give this cornerstone of wargaming gift from down under some love 3 decades after it was first published.

Alternate PoG map: BGG user named Jezztek I think did - Joel Koepp has modified it subsequently

===============

Regular EiA Sawatdee blog: EiA (Empires in Arms) Sawatdee

Other 1st MN, Herr Dr, Sawatdee session reports: 1st MN/Sawatdee/Herr Dr Session Reports

EiA Sawatdee house rules here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.1dcfcaab!enclosure=.1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
(Wendell refers to the rule - having been the victim of it at his Turkish capital as "The incredibly stupid and ahistorical artillery rule")

This is a bowdlerized version of what I call it; my real name for it involves multiple grawlixes, like this: "*%*@$%ing stupid *%*@$%ing unbalanced &@!#ing *%*@$%ing artillery rule".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good report. Who is the guy in the U of M hat? I've never seen him before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Very good report. Who is the guy in the U of M hat? I've never seen him before.

Damian AKA Dee (playing Britain). He doesn't come to Friday nights at the Source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

All that remains of the Little Tin Soldier

LTS: 1984 St.Paul Pioneer Press..."...A Vietnam War game is a big seller..." found it here: http://www.bladeandcrown.com/blog/2013/11/06/gaming-history-...

Yes, Dee's been playing wargames 25ish years (a youngin!) in The Cities: World in Flames and Advanced Squad Leader I think are his go to games - the more complex, the better (think tackled Europa Universalis ).

I think he actually got started via the Little Tin Soldier (Bryant/Lake - sign is still there, but store gone for about a decade?). Some background here:

http://www.bladeandcrown.com/blog/2013/01/16/rpg-history-the...

Also used to be a great hobby store right next to it: they had EVERYTHING (lots of trains, models, etc).

Dee is a great guy to have in a gaming group; gives it his all, smart about history, fun and great one liners.

All this Little Tin Soldier talk gets me to thinkin that Lt. Jason should write an article on the history of Twin City gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.