Popular Tags: cards [+] [View All]
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I am not affiliated with this company at all. I just saw this on my local news show and thought they were interesting.

These are regular style playing cards that are inside hard plastic cases with sliding covers to hide the cards- no shuffling, no peeking at your neighbor's cards. Downside is the loud noise they make when being mixed up in a bowl instead of shuffled.

Link to news video (I hope this works for everyone):

http://www.nbc11.com/video/10440151/index.html

Their company website:

www.ShuffleUpCards.com

Now, can we get them to make generic card holders like those so we can put our odd sized euro game cards in them?

These would certainly make tuckboxes and card protectors obsolete if they were easy enough to use and re-use and not prohibitively expensive.

Might make card use much easier for those with dexterity problems...

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
This is like the SUV equivalent of a deck of cards. Sorry, but I hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't plan myself to run out and buy these. I rather like the tactile sensation of card shuffling and card holding. I just thought the idea was interesting enough for people to see.

I really think the best use for these is really for those with dexterity problems, but even then maybe these are a bit much. Who knows...

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is interesting, definately a nice choice for the holdem players.

I bet it could be used in an interesting way in some Euro style game. perhaps where you build a wall out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROFL!!!!

They've created a solution for which there isn't a problem. Let's see do I buy the $30 deck of cards with the plastic wrapper or $3 for a regular pack? I love people talking about how you don't have to worry about hiding your cards. THEY PROTECT YOU FROM BEING AN IDIOT.

No wait. After you've spent $30 (soon to be $60!) for a deck then you are an idiot.

Yeah, the SUV of cards is definitely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These manage to be uglier, clunkier, more expensive and less versatile than a regular deck of cards.

Honestly, there are very few games for which they would be useful. Could you imagine holding a hand of 13 of these cards (like Bridge Spades and many other popular games)? Could anyone imagine shuffling up a bowl of these during a poker night? For those who are physically unable to hold a hand of cards without revealing them, a card holding stand is more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvonh wrote:
They've created a solution for which there isn't a problem.

Almost word for word what I was thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Never again will you have to worry about your shuffling skills"

That's who it is for. I have a friend in his 30s who plays in my poker league who plain and simply cannot shuffle and I think is slightly embarassesed about it.

"Might make card use much easier for those with dexterity problems..."

I also have a friend in that league who has cerebal palsy (someone shuffles and deals for him).

I actually think this would make it harder for him to play. I think paper cards are easier for him because once he has his hand in position, he can just squeeze both of them together, pick them up and look.

I think it would be difficult for him to pick up two of them at the same time in one hand.

Besides, he would then have to reach his other hand over and slide the cover down - that just adds a needless complication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If shuffling is really a problem, a more straightforward solution would be mah-jongg type tiles. OK, so you have to turn them face down. But then you can mix 'em up and then stand them up on their own or on a rack. I agree that the problem with this product is that it is totally impractical with large numbers of cards.

Notice how whatever game they are playing - only requires you to hold TWO cards at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for hold'em and absolutely nothing else....maybe Indian Poker....that's about it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best invention since the Settlers Organizer!

...Sheylon

www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give five bucks for a set to use for Werewolf. I hate how the cards get marked up, so i just use hard cases from a baseball card shop. These things would also hide the faces. But I wouldn't pay $30 for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There already are playing cards in the form of Mahjong tiles.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/101612

All the fun of Mahjong with your favourite card games.
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Binh Quach
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you very much Helen for posting this thread and thanks everyone for your comments.

First of all I would like to say that all of your comments, including the positives and negatives are mostly correct. Yes, it might be an SUV of cards, it’s easy to shuffle, it makes clunky noise, it’s interesting, etc... I am sure that there are some people out there that hate SUV and some might like them. Some might think they are easy to shuffle and some might think they are clumsy. Some might like the clunky noise and some don’t. The truth is I would never dream of replacing the traditional cards, which is hundred of years old, with my new playing cards. But consider the number of playing cards sold by the U.S. Playing Cards Company alone is 100 millions decks a year and rising (http://www.cincypost.com/2005/02/22/cards022205.html)
, hopefully some of the consumer will like the new playing cards.

Of course all new products would have some positives and negatives things about it. But let me have an opportunity to talk about the positives. I will respectfully leave the negatives to other posters. Please go easy on it. The product is still new and there is a lot of room for improvement in the future. I will take all positive and negative feedbacks and try to improve the product on them.

First of all, I just want to create a new type of cards that provides ease of shuffling for people with dexterity problem. Consider there are thousands of retirement homes throughout the country and with the current poker craze, a lot of them would like to play Texas Hold’em in their pastime. A lot of my friends including me have bought those shuffling machines for $20 to $30. But most of them end up collecting dust on the shelves since they are clumsy to use and require user intervention anyway. Yet, millions of them are sold during the past few years.

I usually play Texas Hold’em with my friends and we average that after about 10 hours of playing, we have to replace a new deck of the Bicycle playing cards. The new cards are made of ABS plastic which is very durable and scratch resistant. It should last many, many times longer (at least more than 10 times) than a normal $3 deck of playing cards. Of course all products will suffer from wear and tear. If you play with a normal Bicycle deck, eventually you will have bent cards, split corners and dirty marks on them. The new cards are made of hard plastic. I tried to slide them against each other using normal pressure and did not see any visible scratch. Of course if you did it very hard, they would scratch since they are still plastic. But with normal playing and mixing, it should last a long time. As a matter of fact, we have been playing with it for more than a year now before I even put it out on the market and all of my friends loved it. The new card is 90% water proof since they’re made of plastic and high quality glossy plastic laminated label. One time I forgot and left a couple of them in my pocket and after a laundry, they’re still ok. The new cards will not bend and if they get dirty, you can wash them with a little water. Eventually, the label will be replaced by plastic they will be 100% water proof.

Another interesting factor with the new cards is that you can pick your own cards. A designated card dealer is not really needed. A lot of time, my friends keep complaining that I dealt them bad cards. With these new cards, you get to pick your own. So if you happen to have a Royal Flush, it is because you dealt it to yourself. Hence the slogan “Deal Yourself a Winning Hand!”.

How many times you see people go picnic in the parks or beaches and they play cards. It’s very rare since the wind would blow away the cards and make it hard to play. With this new playing cards, people can eat, drink, play balls and play cards at picnics. It will add more variety to different things you can do at picnics or campfires. This also works great on the air plane since you can pass the cards around and nobody will see them until you reveal it yourself.

Another added bonus is the clicking sound when you slide the card up and down. You might have noticed that poker players usually shuffle their poker chips while waiting for others to make a play. This is something that’s not easy to do and not a lot of people can do it. I myself also cannot do it but I have found out that the clicking from sliding the card up and down also generate a soothing and fun sound that almost similar to shuffling the poker chips. If you cannot shuffle poker chips, this will give you something to do while waiting for other players to make a decision.

Of course you cannot play every card games in the world with this new playing cards. But with the majority of card games current being played is Texas Hold’em and Blackjack, I think it’s good for people who mainly play these types of card games. Also with hundreds of different cultures in the world, there are hundreds of card games that only require two or three cards in hand. From the country where I come from alone, we can play at least 3 to 4 types of games that’s not Texas Hold’em or Blackjack but only require 2 to 3 cards in hand. Also I am in the process of designing a holder where you can simply hold multiple cards easily. A design for a mixer like a bingo cage is also in the process. With this mixer, you can turn the handle of the cage to mix the cards inside.

I don’t think the current price of $29.95 is too much considering that it comes with a nice leather case with a glass window. This would make a nice gift for someone even if you don’t play cards. It would look like you have spent a lot more than $30 when they’ve received them.

Additional similar product is also on its way. One of them is a game for kids where they can play a game of memory match. Instead of the playing cards faces, they will have pictures of different animal like dogs and cats. The kids can lay them out and whoever can pair them up in a shortest amount of time win. Look for these types of games in the near future.

Again, I thank you all for your feedbacks. Whether they are positive or negative, I value them all. Please keep them coming.

Binh Quach.
Founder of Shuffle Up Playing Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Umm... interesting. I've been searching for an alternative to cards when playing hand & foot. Shuffling a five-deck shoe is really a nuisance, since it must be riffled in two parts (I can riffle a triple deck, but not a quadruple deck), and you need 10+ (probably even more) riffles of the entire shoe to provide good randomness. In games with a big shoe, those gadgets might become really handy.

But then, there is the problem about managing a hand of 20-30 cards when using those gadgets, as well as managing tables with 50+ cards melded. Maybe those gadgets in mah jong tile size / rummikub tile size (with card holders) would be a nice solution. (But then, one might ask if those gadgets really provide any advantages over simple rummikub-style tiles, when using a non-transparent bag to draw tiles.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Binh Quach, welcome to BoardGameGeek. It's always a pleasant surprise to see a calm response to criticism round these parts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes. An excellent solution to a problem nobody had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binhquach wrote:
One time I forgot and left a couple of them in my pocket and after a laundry, they’re still ok.

These are perfect for people that like to hide extra cards in their pockets!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
What next? Salad tongs to toss them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Binh Quach
United States
California
flag msg tools
Actually, I wasn't trying to hide cards in my pocket. During production, we have multiple versions made. I had all sort of different cards lying around the place and some of them was left in my pocket for laundry. I guess if you want to cheat, you can do it in so many different way with all sort of different type of cards. It doesn't necessary have to be this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binhquach wrote:
The truth is I would never dream of replacing the traditional cards, which is hundred of years old, with my new playing cards. But consider the number of playing cards sold by the U.S. Playing Cards Company alone is 100 millions decks a year and rising (http://www.cincypost.com/2005/02/22/cards022205.html)
, hopefully some of the consumer will like the new playing cards.

Translated: "Yeah, there's really no need for these. But, since millions of cards are sold each year, I'm figuring even a pointless cash-in is a worthwhile investment."

binhquach wrote:
A lot of my friends including me have bought those shuffling machines for $20 to $30. But most of them end up collecting dust on the shelves since they are clumsy to use and require user intervention anyway. Yet, millions of them are sold during the past few years.

Translated: "As I said before: My primary goal is money."

binhquach wrote:
Another added bonus is the clicking sound when you slide the card up and down. You might have noticed that poker players usually shuffle their poker chips while waiting for others to make a play. This is something that’s not easy to do and not a lot of people can do it. I myself also cannot do it but I have found out that the clicking from sliding the card up and down also generate a soothing and fun sound that almost similar to shuffling the poker chips. If you cannot shuffle poker chips, this will give you something to do while waiting for other players to make a decision.

Translated: "I am the most annoying player in the world."

binhquach wrote:
Additional similar product is also on its way. One of them is a game for kids where they can play a game of memory match. Instead of the playing cards faces, they will have pictures of different animal like dogs and cats. The kids can lay them out and whoever can pair them up in a shortest amount of time win. Look for these types of games in the near future.

Translated: "Show me the money!"

--------------------------

Ahem. It's entirely possible that I'm just being a cynical old coot, but these things are clearly just an attempt to cash in on a huge market. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's funny that the creator would have us believe the product was created predominantly for some social utility rather than economic gain. This is a calculated cash cow, nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
DavidT wrote:
Ahem. It's entirely possible that I'm just being a cynical old coot, but these things are clearly just an attempt to cash in on a huge market. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's funny that the creator would have us believe the product was created predominantly for some social utility rather than economic gain. This is a calculated cash cow, nothing more.

I don't think you understand what a "cash cow" is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck to you, Binh, and congratulations on an innovative product. I wish you success with it.

I could see it being more popular with people who don't regularly play card games than with people who do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
DavidT wrote:

I don't think you understand what a "cash cow" is.

A cash cow would be a product that brings in tons of cash, as far as I know. If I'm mistaken, you have my apologies. As I said, this product is a calculated cash cow. In other words, a product conceived and executed ("calculated") to be a cash cow, nothing more. I have little doubt it will be successful and fulfill this goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.