Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.
I am tinkering with some numbers, and I was curious about two-player auction games. I intend to try Medici vs. Strozzi as soon as I can, and beyond that I have tried (and enjoyed) Ra and Goa with two players.
Are there any others that work well with two? I have heard mixed reports about Power Grid with two, in part due to the auctions.
What about blind auctions? I have only had very limited experience with two-player blind auctions, and they were in Leonardo da Vinci.
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Two-player auction games (or those that feature auctions
Ra is ok with 2. Goa is best with 2. I just posted a 2p variant for Taj Mahal derived from Knizia's variant. The 2p variant for Ys works ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capitol and Tal der Konige are two more with auctions that work fine with two. Both feature blind bidding as well.

(Unless I am mistaken in thinking blind bidding means that the bids are made by everyone in secret then revealed simultaneously.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Viney
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O Zoo le Mio also has blind bidding and works well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Traumfabrik also works well with two players, but I haven't actually tried it.

Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll second Goa and add Leonardo da Vinci to the list of good 2 player auction games.

I like Goa alot, but I do agree with the critiques that some have of it that it "feels like a spreadsheet". Leonardo doesn't have that problem and it is quite a bit more thematic with building things in workshops instead of being back at the accounting desk scheduling colonies and such.

So, I sometimes hesitate to recommend Goa except to the real auction fiend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played PG with two, and it's OK, but the auction suck 2p. I think the main reason is that whoever loses the auction gets the "condolence prize" of any of the remaining three plants, *PLUS* the latest one to drop, at list price. This makes it pretty likely for losing the auction to be better than winning, so the auction becomes worthless except for maybe one or two turns in the game. The rest of the game is more calculable (how much fuel to buy? Duh, enough for your plants, plus more if you can starve out your opponent with it), so as a whole the game isn't so great 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably play Aladdin's Dragons with 2, if you used the 3P cards and only 2 palace rooms.

Edit: and someone did just that...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/116017

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried Palazzo with two and I thought it worked very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havn't played it but

Medici vs. Strozzi http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/24762
is a 2 player auction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
I've tried Palazzo with two and I thought it worked very well.

I'll second this motion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Vom Kap bis Kairo plays well with two and I think I paid $6.50 for it. Not a bad game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
I'll second Goa and add Leonardo da Vinci to the list of good 2 player auction games.

I like Goa alot, but I do agree with the critiques that some have of it that it "feels like a spreadsheet". Leonardo doesn't have that problem and it is quite a bit more thematic with building things in workshops instead of being back at the accounting desk scheduling colonies and such.

So, I sometimes hesitate to recommend Goa except to the real auction fiend

Funny. I'd post somewhat of an opposite recommendation. I much prefer Goa to Leonardo because the former had a richer theme and more interesting gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.