Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
The quoted text said more than just a new map and coins but let's see. For once an upgrade would not make me sell the original. I love my Warfrog edition
Really hard to find a Warfrog copy. Not sure if I should track one down or not, as my Eagle copy still looks just the part on my shelf.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:
The quoted text said more than just a new map and coins but let's see. For once an upgrade would not make me sell the original. I love my Warfrog edition
Really hard to find a Warfrog copy. Not sure if I should track one down or not, as my Eagle copy still looks just the part on my shelf.
Quite right, Chris. I was lucky to find one cheaper last year together with several other Warfrog games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Kickstarter for Brass / Brass: Deluxe is planned for July 16th.

Brass: Deluxe will include the metal coins.

Both versions will include a 2-Player Map, which will be printed on the reverse side along with the rules for playing it - mostly that is what cards to remove from the deck!

By the way, I did contact the creator of the original 2-player map for permission. He declined any credit and was happy for us to use it.

Best regards,
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
Since the rules will include what cards to remove from the deck for the 2 player map, it means it won't be Catalonia map.

I suppose "the original 2-player map" is this map designed by
Michael Schacht
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

based on this variant made by
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.

Can we have a clarification/confirmation, please ?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
OMG, OMG, OMG. Very excited about this one. Will back in day 1.
You and me both. I've long wanted an excuse to pick up Brass, but like many Wallace games, I've found it hard to justify spending money to add them to my collection since most of my gaming is 2-player and most of him games don't support 2-player.

...this changes everything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be backer #1... hopefully.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:
newrev wrote:
OMG, OMG, OMG. Very excited about this one. Will back in day 1.
You and me both. I've long wanted an excuse to pick up Brass, but like many Wallace games, I've found it hard to justify spending money to add them to my collection since most of my gaming is 2-player and most of him games don't support 2-player.

...this changes everything.
well the variant has been around for years either way,this doesn't really change anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!

Brass is one of my favorite games, but I have so few people who I can play it with. The one guy I know who should be my regular partner on this, does not want to play it because "it is such an ugly game." He likes the mechanisms and the type of game, but just because it is so butt-ugly he does not want to touch it. And then I have to suffer through another Feld again.

Give this game the looks that the gameplay deserves!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MW games don't win people over on their look the first time, but they do grow on you.

I'm of the camp that thinks changing the art would be akin to heresy.

And Feld... gulp (Zee Garcia says it best. I like Felds first game, but then he kept making the SAME GAME)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I hated Brass the first time I played it, didn't like Study In Emerald at all, thought Age of Steam would be a huge flop, and threatened to shoot anyone who made me play Struggle of Empires a second time!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
MW games don't win people over on their look the first time, but they do grow on you.

I'm of the camp that thinks changing the art would be akin to heresy.

And Feld... gulp (Zee Garcia says it best. I like Felds first game, but then he kept making the SAME GAME)
Huh? Same goal maybe...score the most points. Same game? How so?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Absolutely. I hated Brass the first time I played it, didn't like Study In Emerald at all, thought Age of Steam would be a huge flop, and threatened to shoot anyone who made me play Struggle of Empires a second time!
Struggles is delicious. I just wish I could get it to the table more.

Nice avatar, btw.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:
Absolutely. I hated Brass the first time I played it, didn't like Study In Emerald at all, thought Age of Steam would be a huge flop, and threatened to shoot anyone who made me play Struggle of Empires a second time!
Struggles is delicious. I just wish I could get it to the table more.

Nice avatar, btw.
Richard, am I write in thinking you own the actual original art for Struggle then?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steampunk brass would be cool. whistlewhistledevildevil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
What's Your Game?
badge
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Avatar
Microbadge: ZhanGuo fanMicrobadge: Madeira fanMicrobadge: What's Your Game fanMicrobadge: Nippon fanMicrobadge: Brasil fan
This is clearly a - Shut up and take my Brass - moment...

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: OptimistMicrobadge: I eschew shoesMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Fencing fanMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons player
They're not going to do it this way, but the right way to do a 2-sided map is to have a Lancashire side that greys out the areas excluded in 2-player, AND print the French map on the backside.

THAT, I might buy, even though I have full-scale prints of Bogdan's France, Yorkshire, and Catalonia maps.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
They're not going to do it this way, but the right way to do a 2-sided map is to have a Lancashire side that greys out the areas excluded in 2-player, AND print the French map on the backside.

THAT, I might buy, even though I have full-scale prints of Bogdan's France, Yorkshire, and Catalonia maps.
Great idea, except playing the french map using England location cards would be weird.

The colored location cards is really the only thing that Age of Industry made better about brass, as that is the only component that keeps the game from being expandable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
Great news!
Quick question: Can I just Kickstart the 2-player map for my old version of Brass?
I (and I bet many others) would like to know this as well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
dr.mrow wrote:
They're not going to do it this way, but the right way to do a 2-sided map is to have a Lancashire side that greys out the areas excluded in 2-player, AND print the French map on the backside.

THAT, I might buy, even though I have full-scale prints of Bogdan's France, Yorkshire, and Catalonia maps.
Great idea, except playing the french map using England location cards would be weird.

The colored location cards is really the only thing that Age of Industry made better about brass, as that is the only component that keeps the game from being expandable.
Well it certainly turned it into an extensible system, whether it's better or not though I'd question, as as soon as you have colour coded areas theme's surely always gonna take a hit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
dr.mrow wrote:
They're not going to do it this way, but the right way to do a 2-sided map is to have a Lancashire side that greys out the areas excluded in 2-player, AND print the French map on the backside.

THAT, I might buy, even though I have full-scale prints of Bogdan's France, Yorkshire, and Catalonia maps.
Great idea, except playing the french map using England location cards would be weird.

The colored location cards is really the only thing that Age of Industry made better about brass, as that is the only component that keeps the game from being expandable.
Well it certainly turned it into an extensible system, whether it's better or not though I'd question, as as soon as you have colour coded areas theme's surely always gonna take a hit.
I don't really agree with that assumption. I'd have to playtest it, but if the color references a group of locations, that is still going to feel like I'm building something in Manchester. I feel the location cards in the current version are absolutely theme-less anyways. It's not like Manchester has an illustration of what Manchester looked like back then.

Whether or not strategic planning took a hit, well there are ways to fix that as well. Again, it would have to be playtested. The colors simply limit the locations you can build. Have 8 to 10 colors instead of location cards with matching colors on the board. If still more were needed to retain the same feel, go to a numbering system and keep the same number of map locations.

I think removing the literal location names from the cards in Age of Industry was a brilliant move. If there was anything that was lost thematically with this, it would be recouped 10 times by being able to expand the game simply by printing new boards.

I've played the France map online quite a few times and it provides a very unique set of strategies.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The colored location cards is really the only thing that Age of Industry made better about brass, as that is the only component that keeps the game from being expandable
Well, it's just more costly. You could still print a new deck of cards to include with a new board. This has been done before with Power Grid: Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland, though it was a smaller number of cards (12 vs 66, I think).

Assuming you have the original game, the only other things you'd need to play a Brass expansion are the board + cards.

I've heard mostly negative things about Age of Industry that make me think I wouldn't like it (no positioning because canal phase was removed, game a little 'flatter' and less tense, more luck-based because of card draw mechanic).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
I think removing the literal location names from the cards in Age of Industry was a brilliant move. If there was anything that was lost thematically with this, it would be recouped 10 times by being able to expand the game simply by printing new boards.
People seem to prefer AoI or Brass based on being the one they bought / played first. As I got Brass far earlier, I far prefer it and will deliberately argue whatever reasons suit the outcome I want

BUT, expanding on the differences here, it harks to why I think I've liked so many Wallace games, in that they are, generally, just their own individual thing. They're an exercise for the reader, an interesting one-off puzzle, rather than a system primarily. Now obviously Steam / AoS / RotW is a HUGE diversion from that principle, but I like the fact there are so so few expansions, and even the steps to take A Few Acres of Snow to the semi-system that Mythotopia is has lost a lot of interesting nuances and asymmetry to the feel of the game.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both good counterpoints.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
I think removing the literal location names from the cards in Age of Industry was a brilliant move. If there was anything that was lost thematically with this, it would be recouped 10 times by being able to expand the game simply by printing new boards.

... it harks to why I think I've liked so many Wallace games, in that they are, generally, just their own individual thing. They're an exercise for the reader, an interesting one-off puzzle, rather than a system primarily.
I align with TheRocketSurgeon's sentiments here. I have gone down the expansion rabbit hole too many times, and these days I prefer to look for unique one-off games. The added flavor of having place names in Brass suits my tastes better. And since I am not wanting a "system" or a bunch of expansion boards, I'd prefer the heavier theme of all the place names being used.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
I think removing the literal location names from the cards in Age of Industry was a brilliant move. If there was anything that was lost thematically with this, it would be recouped 10 times by being able to expand the game simply by printing new boards.

... it harks to why I think I've liked so many Wallace games, in that they are, generally, just their own individual thing. They're an exercise for the reader, an interesting one-off puzzle, rather than a system primarily.
I align with TheRocketSurgeon's sentiments here. I have gone down the expansion rabbit hole too many times, and these days I prefer to look for unique one-off games. The added flavor of having place names in Brass suits my tastes better. And since I am not wanting a "system" or a bunch of expansion boards, I'd prefer the heavier theme of all the place names being used.
Although there is something extremely elegant about board-only expansions. Powergrid is a good example: Buy one board, get 2 new maps and everything fits into the box. In my opinion, it's the absolute best type of expansion the hobby has to offer. If you have a chance, try the France map on http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Shih
United States
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Got this game recently and loved it... really interested to see what the deluxe has to offer!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] |