Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con 2015 is just weeks away so it's time for me to cut/paste from prior math trades and set up the new math trade for the upcoming Gen Con.

Request GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/192455/gen-con-2015-no...

Trade GeekList: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/192456/gen-con-2015-no...

If you are participating in this math trade use of the OLWLG (Online Want List Generator) is mandatory for creating your want list(s) (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support).

If you have never used the OLWLG before, please read this: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

And if you're still unsure, feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. It's not hard... really... the core idea is that you post stuff you are willing to trade and then choose things others have listed that you'd be willing to trade each of your items for. You'll only ever give something away if you also receive something in exchange for it that you choose! And if there's nothing you want for a given title you don't have to trade it.

Key dates and times

Open for posting games: Now through Tuesday, July 14th, 2015, 11pm Eastern time.

Want list submission period: Tuesday, July 14th, 2015 (shortly after submission closes) to Tuesday, July 21st, 2015, 11pm Eastern time.

Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a NO SHIP event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, August 1st at 9:30 a.m. outside of Hall A on the side with Room 128 near the entrance (just like last year) to exchange games and you'll either need to be in attendance, have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up, or make your own arrangements to give/get your trade items. Please note that this is a new TIME for the trade (chosen because many people arrive early and many seem to want to jump in a 10 a.m. event although please understand that there's no guarantee you're trade will be completed by 10 a.m. given crowds and that guy that always says they though the trade was at 11 a.m.). After two years of trying to coordinate being inside of the facility with an official location only to have to deal with lots of noise and our mob being pushed back by the Gen Con staff coupled with this empty hallway I'm taking a risk and trying to see if it moves here. Origins always works great in the empty entryway area. If things change I'll send a geekmail.

(If you need more detail on where this is then check out the maps of the convention center available at...

http://www.icclos.com/floor-plans.aspx

Then click on Level 1 and Hall A is close to the top left of the map (note that the main entry with the car drop off area is the upper right).

OK - some simple rules - please take a few seconds to realize that you are responsible for abiding by these rules if participating whether you read them or not:

* Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline. If you do it can mess things up with the OLWLG.

* Errors made by you will NOT invalidate the results. You will be expected to honor your trades even if you made a mistake, so please carefully review your wants list(s) before submitting them. You can always make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but NOT after it.

* This is a no ship event. All exchanges are to be made at the location specified about AT THE TIME SPECIFIED ABOVE. For those of you that like to show up 45 minutes late to a horde of angry but grateful you actually showed up people please BE ON TIME. That's 9:30 a.m. Indianapolis time! If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as your proxy at the convention (taking your games there for you and picking up your new games). If you are unable to get your games to the Con for whatever reason after participating then this becomes a ship trade for you and it will be your responsibility to pay postage costs for both shipping your games and for others to ship games to you, but PLEASE don't let it come to that. It never has before.

* Gift Certificates and Geekgold (GG) are allowed in this math trade, but arbitrage of these is not (trading a lower cash value item for a higher cash value item). DVDs, RPGs, computer games and other relevant items of interest are all permitted, but be reasonable. If you list items nobody is interested in then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time.

* Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985). Please also note the use of the "alt name" tag that the OLWLG supports in order to properly view your items over there.

* If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

* You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box) and edition of your item in the description. If your item is not the English version or a multilingual version that includes English rules then the supported languages MUST be disclosed in the description (copies/printouts of English rules are fine, but it must be disclosed that the game was not originally English from the manufacturer). This includes sweeteners.

* For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it is complete solely because the person giving it to you told you it was. If a game is found to be missing pieces then it will be the giver's responsibility to rectify that. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings and dents. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

* You are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version, language or shipping policy - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available. This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "My Geek", then "Contributions" and finally on "GeekList Items". You will then be able to see your items without having to find them in the trade GeekList along with any comments that people have made. You will only need to go back to the trade GeekList to make adjustments or answer questions if there were any.

* When you arrive at the trade please sign in for yourself and anyone you're proxying for (list your BGG ID next to theirs on my sign in list). Next, please have a prominent sign with your BGG ID on it so you can advertise that you are there. Lastly let's TRY to arrange ourselves alphabetically by BGG ID starting with A's closest to the door and Z's furthest down the hallway as we did last year with some success. ALSO if you only have a few trades PLEASE try and knock those out OUTSIDE of the meetup and likewise if you're trading with someone with 3 or fewer trades please try to accommodate. The less people we have = the fasting things go. This is becoming a BIG trade.

Other useful information

OWLG Metric Used: USER-TRADING Seed=12345 Iterations=100

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after the listing period has ended. If you will be unavailable during the want list submission period but still wish to participate, contact me directly and we can discuss the possibility of you submitting early.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4 and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honor any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists when they are posted publicly (see above dates), to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm an hour late posting something, please bear with me. Running one of these can be a fair bit of work, and running it without the OLWLG is twice as much work.

So enter lots of items and have fun!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Little
United States
Savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say need to be in attendance does that mean I will need a pass to get to were the trade is happening or for those of use that live in the area can we join the trade also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vassili07 wrote:
When you say need to be in attendance does that mean I will need a pass to get to were the trade is happening or for those of use that live in the area can we join the trade also?
This question always comes up and based on past history there's no security to get into the location where the math trade is. It's right next to an entrance to the building that you'd need to walk into to go and get a badge and obviously they're not going to check to see if you have a badge to enter and buy a badge . The security (badge check) is only for exhibit/gaming halls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
vassili07 wrote:
This question always comes up and based on past history there's no security to get into the location where the math trade is. It's right next to an entrance to the building that you'd need to walk into to go and get a badge and obviously they're not going to check to see if you have a badge to enter and buy a badge . The security (badge check) is only for exhibit/gaming halls.
As far as I have ever seen badges are only checked when entering the Exhibit Hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
ukphitau97 wrote:
adreeve wrote:
vassili07 wrote:
As far as I have ever seen badges are only checked when entering the Exhibit Hall.

I think they are checked for some of the other events, like the library. But you are correct that the OP should be ok to participate. Last year's event was just in a hallway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Keagle
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm new to both Math Trade and relatively (only lurked) BGG.

I want to participate, but haven't really done anything in BGG.

My question is regarding posting my games.

Should I:

1. put them into my collection in BGG first?
2. Then put them into the math trade in the for trade area
3. Then click the games I am looking for/will to receive?
4. If there are no games I would like, do I post in the want area anyway, the game I am looking for?

I've gotten some advice from reddit as far as making sure I am happy with games I ask for, and to be on time to the meet. These are not problems at all, and I am fine with whatever the program comes up with. Just want to make sure I follow the steps correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Graham
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
compacta_d wrote:
I'm new to both Math Trade and relatively (only lurked) BGG.

I want to participate, but haven't really done anything in BGG.

My question is regarding posting my games.

Should I:

1. put them into my collection in BGG first?
2. Then put them into the math trade in the for trade area
3. Then click the games I am looking for/will to receive?
4. If there are no games I would like, do I post in the want area anyway, the game I am looking for?

I've gotten some advice from reddit as far as making sure I am happy with games I ask for, and to be on time to the meet. These are not problems at all, and I am fine with whatever the program comes up with. Just want to make sure I follow the steps correctly.
I'd highly recommend watching the videos here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-tut...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Keagle
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Aw man, a vid is exactly what I need. Thanks!

I will watch and hopefully learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rohit Ramnath
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I want to trade a few of my games as a bundle. These are 4-5 small box games that I want to package together. Is this within the scope and rules of this trade ? How should I add them to the geeklist ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Graham
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyle1987 wrote:
Hi all,

I want to trade a few of my games as a bundle. These are 4-5 small box games that I want to package together. Is this within the scope and rules of this trade ? How should I add them to the geeklist ?
Just add what you would call the "primary" game as the main item and then add the others as sweeteners. Here is a link to one of my offerings to give you an idea: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/3953471
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Dougherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try out this Math Trade for the first time also and had a couple of quick questions (so far):

I've added a bunch of games for trade on the geeklist but they haven't showed up on OLWLG - does this just take time?

Speaking of OLWLG, on the tutorial videos the presenters have "Active" Math trades. How do I make a particular trade "Active"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wilson
United States
Ada
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyle1987 wrote:
Hi all,

You can also add them as Outside the Scope of BGG and then add an alternate name. The alternate name will then appear as the name in the post. I have a small game bundle posted at #350. The text I used to add the alternate name is below. There are instructions in the help section as well.

Ryan's response is spot on as well. His method will make sure your main game will show up on want lists then the person will see the other games you have included. The method I am using is just different.

+altname+ Small Game Bundle -altname-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Dougherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When, during the process, should you build your want list? Is after the first deadline the best time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Leitzel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I build my trade list/want list as the list grows and syncs.. that way as soon as the "word is given" that the trade is live, I can hit submit, and rest easy that SOMETHING was submitted.

You can always go back in, tweak, and resubmitt without penalty, but NEVER submitting is the worst
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rider
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pani wrote:
When, during the process, should you build your want list? Is after the first deadline the best time?
I build my want list as things are added. The list will be a couple of thousand games long when submissions close.

I don't do any check marks until after submissions close and I have done all of the duplicate protection mojo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
恋は前傾姿勢
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
We will be meeting up on Saturday, August 1st at 9:30 a.m. outside of Hall A on the side with Room 128 near the entrance (just like last year)
Quote:
That's 9:30 a.m. Indianapolis time!
Just want to note that the time you've specified in this thread differs from what you announced in the Math Trade Announcements Thread:
adreeve wrote:
Announcing the start of the Gen Con 2015 No Ship Math Trade (in Indianapolis, IN on Sat, August 1st @ 9 a.m. local time)
...so please forgive me for seeking clarification. Gonna see if a buddy is willing to act as my proxy, but I'll need to give him the correct time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Factor wrote:
adreeve wrote:
We will be meeting up on Saturday, August 1st at 9:30 a.m. outside of Hall A on the side with Room 128 near the entrance (just like last year)
Quote:
That's 9:30 a.m. Indianapolis time!
Just want to note that the time you've specified in this thread differs from what you announced in the Math Trade Announcements Thread:
adreeve wrote:
Announcing the start of the Gen Con 2015 No Ship Math Trade (in Indianapolis, IN on Sat, August 1st @ 9 a.m. local time)
...so please forgive me for seeking clarification. Gonna see if a buddy is willing to act as my proxy, but I'll need to give him the correct time.
Fixed. Thanks. 9:30 it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
A (hopefully) quick question on listed items and sweeteners:

If I list an item with sweeteners, are all sweetener items then fair game? In essence, when I list sweeteners, am I approximating the value of the game I am hoping to trade for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweeteners mean you are trading everything in that listing for one other listing. Don't get hung up on "value"; math trade software doesn't know what that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Sweeteners mean you are trading everything in that listing for one other listing. Don't get hung up on "value"; math trade software doesn't know what that means.
Got it. Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McEwen
United States
Ottawa Hills
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I had a great time at the Origins Math trade. Now I can try an even bigger event. Hmm, better look around and see what I still have to trade...

Duncan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first big math trade.
I initially listed several items. Days later I listed some more and than some more.

When I take a look at my Step 4 on the OLWLG only the items from the original posting show up. Is there some kind of refresh? I can see every game I want but all my for trades aren't there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukphitau97 wrote:
This is my first big math trade.
I initially listed several items. Days later I listed some more and than some more.

When I take a look at my Step 4 on the OLWLG only the items from the original posting show up. Is there some kind of refresh? I can see every game I want but all my for trades aren't there.
There is a manual refresh that has to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed some people have accidentally added duplicate items and edit one of the items to say it's duplicate. I accidentally added a dupe and deleted it. Will this mess up the OLWLG or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:
I've noticed some people have accidentally added duplicate items and edit one of the items to say it's duplicate. I accidentally added a dupe and deleted it. Will this mess up the OLWLG or something?
I don't know how much, but from the rules listed above:

Quote:
OK - some simple rules - please take a few seconds to realize that you are responsible for abiding by these rules if participating whether you read them or not:

* Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline. If you do it can mess things up with the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] |