Subject: Capturing Buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had an idea for a scenario in which buildings can be captured. Here is my idea for the rules:

During an overrun that includes infantry (or special infantry) on a hex that contains and enemy controlled building, the infantry have an additional attack they can attempt: storm the building.

To determine success, compare the base attack strength of the infantry (unmodified by terrain and not doubled due to overrun) storming against one-tenth the original SP of the building as a 'defense' value, then roll on the standard CRT. X result, the infantry capture the building without further damaging it; D result the building is not yet captured; NE result, the buildings nominal occupants have pushed back the attack and 1 attacking infantry squad is defeated.

When infantry occupy a building they benefit from its structural defense and cannot be targeted (except by storming the building), but they may not attack out as the building is not designed for combat. 1 infantry per 20SP must remain inside to maintain control. If a storm is not succussul, the infantry are valid targets for attacks by other units in the overrun combat. Infantry occupying a building defend it against future storms and may add their defense to the building's defense against a storm attack, but this defense is unmodified by terrain. One defending infantry is defeated on a D result, all are defeated on an X result.

Scenarios that use these rules should grant higher victory points for captured buildings than destroyed, perhaps scoring no VP for destruction. Scenarios could involve two forces trying to capture buildings in neutral territory where neither controls the buildings initially, or as one player controls some or all of the buildings at the start (which allows placement of infantry in defended buildings during setup).

I'd love to hear any feedback on this and if I am reinventing this wheel I'd love a link to other rules with the same spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd love to hear any feedback on this and if I am reinventing this wheel I'd love a link to other rules with the same spirit.

The idea is totally sound, but I don't know that you'd need to specifically have any rules for capturing buildings--simply having an Infantry in the hex of the building at the end of the scenario would presumably count as capturing it; if there are defenders in the hex, you'd have to remove them via regular combat (and the defending infantry would presumably have defensive bonus due to the buildings).

From a conceptual standpoint, once you are fighting with power-suit infantry and tactical nuclear weapons, gaining control of a structure seems like it would be an insignificant effort, assuming there weren't other power-suit infantry and tactical nuclear weapons defending it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bakija wrote:

From a conceptual standpoint, once you are fighting with power-suit infantry and tactical nuclear weapons, gaining control of a structure seems like it would be an insignificant effort, assuming there weren't other power-suit infantry and tactical nuclear weapons defending it.

I see your point, but these are structures that can survive several hits from the aforementioned tactical nukes; even 10SP can survive an attack from a MkIII main battery. Mostly it is for flavor and the strategic challenge/choice of capture vs destroy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac13eth wrote:

Space Gamer #74 had rules for infantry occupying and capturing buildings. Infantry could just move into a building if there was no enemy infantry occupying it. Which makes sense--an office worker with a rifle isn't going to be much of an obstacle to guys in battlesuits. Moving into an occupied building was straight overrun.

I like your ideas for applying this to scenarios, it'd be good have some scenarios using all those buildings in the DE box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting thoughts Ryan, thanks for sharing.

We were looking at some scenario ideas for some of the buildings on our S&TO counter sheet.

I was especially looking at the idea of some equivalent of Militia defence for the Geodesic Habitat domes. Along the lines of a static guard or garrison to give the domes a residual combat value that prevents an automatic take-over perhaps?

So, you may have something here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.