Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This won't be a step by step AAR. I'll just highlight some of the things that happened, particularly where it shows how the AI operates. I didn't stop to take notes, mainly because I was enjoying myself so much I didn't want to stop.

December 17 (turn 2) started well for me, as I drew a Bridge Engineers event. Not only does this allow me to repair a blown bridge (or build a new one), but I can do it in the Supply phase. This means I don't have to waste an activation doing it.

I repair the bridge east of Clervaux, and then take immediate advantage of it by activating XLVII corps. I'm using tile spacers to remind me which Allied Position hexes I've check this activation (I use them to mark activated Allied units too). The breach widened, but I was denied entry to Vielsalm by a roadblock, and could not quite reach St. Vith.

The Allies' Command Card activated V Corps. One of Action Cards drawn was Withdrawal Under Fire. This allowed them to move back (by ignoring ZOC) the stack of V Corps units in Rocherath-Krinkelt that had been trapped by the advancing I SS Corps.

A large, coordinated attack led by LVIII Corps against a hold-out Allied unit blocking a bridge, failed miserably as I drew 3 forest chits, reducing hits by 4. Similarly, a large attack by I SS corps in the north was dispersed by concentrated Allied artillery. And in the meantime, the Allies managed to move a unit to occupy St. Vith, thus ending my chance to grab it quickly and cheaply, and XVIII Corps reserve units started appearing to plug the gap. The breach is looking contained.

This game is providing a compelling narrative. There are tough decisions to make each impulse, and the tension is high as I reveal each Allied command card. I've yet to see the AI make a bonehead move that I could exploit.

I've got to contain myself from now switching to see how the Allied solo game plays. I want to fully explore the German solo game first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
Zouave wrote:
I've got to contain myself from now switching to see how the Allied solo game plays. I want to fully explore the German solo game first.

I don't even have the game yet and I already thought about that It seems to me it might be better to play the hell out of one version before starting the other, but I don't think I'll be able to stop myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
A couple of things, Paul. Your first German activation was XLVII corps but you wrote LVIII corps. That might confuse some readers.

Your final picture shows Fuhrer Begleit, a reinforcement unit from the 18th. I don't think there's any way it could get into play on the 17th. Perhaps you used the 26 VG/Fuhrer Begleit card to deploy FBB. That only works when FBB is in reserve, i.e. from the 18th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom, I corrected the unit ID.

And yes, I realized later that I had mistakenly put the FBB unit in the reserve unit box on December 17. The sad thing is that it didn't really help me that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Must. Have. This. Game.

Pending order with a Canadian OLGS as soon as they get stock in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.