Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to attempt a session report of the full calendar Battle of the Bulge scenario. It will take a long while to finish...probably weeks. I am diving into the German Solo Game. My primary purpose of posting is to find rule mistakes. Secondary purpose is to persuade any of the fence sitters of how great this game is. So I am going to try to be thorough and include lots of pictures. I'd love to hear of any mistakes I make and would love to hear alternate strategy ideas or even outright strategy blunders. Note: The blur in some photos is me trying to dull the high glare of the plexi.

Day 1 - 12/16 - German Impulse 1 - Command 1
Good thing this is solo. I agonized for longer than I'll ever admit deciding what to do. Nine cards gave me many options. Since the Germans can't move on the first impulse I decided to use my high command value cards for their wild tactic to gain the Reinforce Battle tactic to get the tanks rolling. I see a potential to bust open the line with two command cards in this impulse. I start with the LVIII Panzer division.

Image 1

Total command value is only 8, leaving me with the opportunity to follow up with another command.

I want to attack the unit in hex 1406. I will use the Reinforce Battle combat tactic to move my unit in 1605 to the Westwall to join in the attack. There is no roadblock check because the unit in 1406 is adjacent to the position of the potential check.

Image 2

Image 3

I need 5 hits to eliminate the unit. My minimum first two chit pulls give me hits. I can take a total of 8 (5 units attacking + 2 combat tactics + 1 elite units). I opt to draw 6 total and go for four more chits.

Image 4

I get the 5 hits I was looking for while taking only one hit.

Allied unit loses his improved position for the first hit. By going through the assigning hits step in 13.52. You can see that the Allied unit will retreat two hexes and then take two steps hits and be eliminated. He only has one option on the first retreat hex due to German ZOC in the other two hexes.

Image 5

The second retreat option for the unit followed the retreat arrow as crossing the river and going into the woods were all equal priority.

Image 6

The Allied unit has been eliminated and the Germans take a one step loss as their hit assignment.

Image 7

The unit in hex 1507 is fortunately preventing roadblock checks as the Germans surge forward to Advance after the attack. I move the stack in 1405 forward to 1406. I then move two one unit in that stack forward one more hex. I didn't realize until later that I could have advanced with all attacking units (1 for infantry, 2 for mech) Matter of fact, I didn't realize this until after the impulse was complete. Otherwise I would have done something different here.

Edit - Fixed mistake of moving two units across bridge due to Traffic Jam.

Image 8

Day 1 - 12/16 - German Impulse 1 - Command 2

I have not equaled or exceeded the opening impulse command value of 10, so I can play a new command card. So my next command is to attempt essentially the same thing with the XLVII Panzer Corp to the immediate North South.

Image 9

Again I play the high value command card for the wild combat tactic and chose Reinforce Battle and play the 2nd combat tactic card for Fixed Artillery.

Note: The attack below was incorrectly played and modified. What you see below is the new corrected version. Originally, I forgot to take terrain into account and over evaluated the attack total of the German side across the river, which should of been halved. To keep from having to repeat the next Allied impulse I took John Butterfield's advice and modified my original play so the outcome is still the same.

The infantry in 1806 is going to move across the river to hex 1807 to reinforce the attack against the Allied unit at 1708.

Image 10

Image 11

I draw the first two combat chits and end up with only 1 hit. I can get a max of 8 again (5 units attacking + 2 combat tactics + 1 elite units) and I opt to get all 8. It was close last time and I still need 4 hits.

Image 12

I end up getting way more than enough with 7 hits and the Germans took two hits for their effort. The Allied unit retreats straight back for his first retreat hex to 1709. The Allied unit has equal choices for his 2nd retreat hex so it he follows the retreat arrow into 1710 and is eliminated.

The Germans must now assign 2 hits. The first is always a step loss for the attackers. I apply the step loss to a unit at 1807. My second option is now to disperse the units or take another step loss. I want to advance, so I apply the 2nd step loss to a mech in 1707. At this point I have no idea if that is a good or bad decision.

Edit - Step losses must be divided among units evenly before you can assign another loss to a unit.

The Germans can now Advance. Three units are on the other side of a burned bridge plus the Germans are operating under the Traffic Jam still. So only one of those units could cross the bridge. So I decide to move the infantry in hex 1807 North into hex 1708 and conduct a Roadblock check against hex 1709 and no roadblock gets placed. I am hoping maybe I can use this infantry to clear out or search for roadblocks before moving the tanks in future impulses.

Image 16 (images 13-15 redacted due to errors)

The impulse is over and the Allies are about to immediately deploy and start closing the gap the Germans just created. But some serious damage has been done to blow a hole wide open in the middle of the line.

Deploying Allied units is definitely one of the trickier aspects of the German solo game. I look forward to finding any mistake I made in the Allied impulse. More to come later.

Day 1 - 12/16 - Allied Impulse 1 - Command 1

I draw the Allied Command card. Notice the Allied AI just happened to respond to the Germans eliminating two VIII Corps units with a reserve deployment to the same division. There are 2 units sitting in the reserves, but since this is the 16th the Allied can only deploy one.

Image 19[ (images 17-18 redacted due to error)/i]

The next step is to look for and mark all the potential places where the Allied unit can deploy. For quick review I'll place the Method A (12/16-12/17) deployment criteria here.
- Empty position hex (orange circle hold values)
- In unit's Corps area
- Able to trace Allied supply
- A German unit is unit proximate (in one move can be adjacent)
- NOT in Danger of Surround
- NOT a German held city or town
- NOT adjacent to Allied unit with ZOC, unless position hex has HV of 5 or 6 or adjacent unit is OOC and placing this unit would put OOC unit back in communication

If more than one position meets the above then prioritize
- Within 3 hexes of unit in same division
- Within 3 hexes of unit in same corps
- Within 3 hexes of unit in same army

If more then one position still then prioritize
- In highest HV
- Westernmost
- Closest to German Unit

So below is what I came up with as my marked potential Allied positions. Blowing open the line created many possible deployment spots.

Edit

I made a lot of mistakes in my original reserve deployment and many subsequent retries. So this is my updated deployment map. There is good discussion below on my mistakes mostly around understanding and implementing Danger of Surround correctly. The crux of it is two things that I did wrong. #1 The unit can not be in danger of being surrounded by German ZOC (not necessarily units) #2 The Danger of Surround check is done with the assumption the Allied unit is in the hex. This likely makes it more difficult for German units to get around the Allied unit.

Placing markers on the potential spots yields many options. Hexes I believe that are in Danger of Surround are marked with red X's.

[i]Image 20

Following the rules of Allied unit deployment, I end up with 3 spots; 1709, 1909, and 2009. The first tie breaker knocks out 1909 and the last tie breaker knocks out 2009.

Image 21

It can't deploy today, but for practice, if the 2nd Allied unit were to deploy I think it would be into hex 1511. Note I removed the position markers that are no longer eligible after the first reserve deployment.

Image 22

Despite this unit not actually being placed since its 12/16, I think it is really cool how on the first turn of the game you can already see the bulge developing.

Image 23

Day 1 - 12/16 - German Impulse 2 - Command 1

On the 2nd German impulse, I almost totally screwed up my game right from the get go. For whatever reason, I thought my initial hand of cards was the whole first day, I didn't realize I should of refilled my hand after the first impulse to 6 cards. As I had 3 cards left and thought this would be the Germans last impulse of the day. In the end, I purposely saved these cards for this impulse, so I am not sure if I had the other 3 cards if it would of made this impulse any different. I also forgot the Germans could not move. But all this documentation and pictures made it easy to rewind and restart the 2nd German Impulse. More to come soon.

I play a command card to activate the I SS Panzer Corps in the NE quadrant. The Germans will continue to be agressive and push forward.

Image 24

All units eligible will move forward along the line to position for attack. Note: I initially made some mistakes here that I later caught and replayed. I was trying to strengthen the southern side utilizing the road, but that road goes off boundary that these units can't enter until Day 20.

Image 25

Image 26

I am going to attack the lone unit at the IP hex 0803 first. I play one combat tactic for Artillery and draw the Allied command card since this is now the 2nd impulse and 4.11 is no longer in play. The Allied command card yields no undetected defender since I am attacking the US XVIII Corps not XII Corps.

Image 27

I draw the minimum two chits and decide to go for 6 more. The Germans get exactly the 5 hits needed to eliminate the unit, while taking 2 hits from the Allies.

Image 28

The Allied unit retreats two hexes and is eliminated.

Image 29

The Germans take their two steps losses and Advance. My strategy here was to split up the elite mech units while advancing all other possible units. I initially made a mistake here and did not obey stacking limits and had too many steps in hex 0804. I left the weakened infantry behind and pushed forward the full strength infantry.

Image 30

Next up is another likely attack from the I SS Panzer Corps from the unit that is in position but hasn't attacked. It took me so long today to hopefully finally get that reserve deployment correct that this session report is now caught up to the game! So I haven't actually looked at my cards and decided yet. More to come soon.

Update 7/3/15

My last card of the impulse is to play the Commandos event to end my impulse. This lets me skip the next Allied impulse.

Image 31

There was one stack of units in the ISS division that could have attacked, and I initially was leaning that way. I decided those units should wait for backup and dig in. So they received an Improved Position marker since they did not move or attack after being activated.

Image 32

Day 1 - 12/16 - Allied Impulse 2 - Skipped due to Commandos

Day 1 - 12/16 - German Impulse 3 - Command 1

Since this is now the German's 3rd impulse units that activated in the first impulse are eligible again. The Allies have not closed the gap in the line yet, so I am going to activate the 116th Panzer Division and attempt to secure St Vith and provide backup south at Clervaux.

Note: Wrong card being shown as the command here.

Image 33

It did not work out. The first unit attempting to head south ran into roadblocks. Roadblock Check for 1309 passed, but failed on 1409. The other two units of the 116th joined up.

Image 34

Since that was the only card played for that Command with a CV of 4, I can play another Command Card. I might as well double down and compound the unfortunate roadblock and a terrible move. I am going to double back and try to wedge the gap a little wider.

Image 35

I am going to attack the single unit at 1205. I play Reinforce Battle as a combat tactic and bring back the 116th Panzers to assist. Note: The previous activation of the 116th Panzers does not prevent them being used to reinforce.

Image 36

Unfortunately reserves are called in.

Image 37

The minimum combat chit draw is 4 with the 4 steps of the Allied defenders. The maximum is 8 (5 units + 1 combat tactic + 1 for elite + 1 w/4 step unit). I decide to draw the max.

Image 38

Allied take only 3 hits and the German take 3 as well. The first Allied hit removes the improved position marker. The next step loss requires a hold check. The hold value is a 6 and I roll a 6 so the lowest selector number unit loses a step.

Image 39

If the Allied take another step loss they will lose ZOC, so for the last hit they retreat. The Germans must take 1 step loss. For the next two hits I will Disperse them all. Disperse goes away at the end of the day which is coming up soon, so with a little luck maybe the Allied won't counter attack.

Image 40

Image 41

I've only played a total CV value of 4, I could play another Command Card if I want, but I'm going to save what I have for one last final impulse before the end of the 16th.

Day 1 - 12/16 - Allied Impulse 3

Allies are going to reinforce the VIII Corps again almost completely closing the gap and essentially causing the Germans to lose most gains made this day. Hindsight, is 20/20 but I think I took a stupid gamble that failed when I moved the 116th Panzers back to the line to assist in that attack.

Image 42

I am getting better (I hope) at identifying deployment spots. Instead of marking every possible spot on the map I focus on spots within 3 hexes of unit in same division since I know that is the first tie breaker. I had a question here if dispersed units impact deployment checks. It is not mentioned that it should and there is a specific paragraph in the rules that noted everything that should be considered for deployment checks, so I hope I got this right. If the dispersed marker is ignored, that means the hex with the iron cross in in Danger of Surround leaving only one possible deployment position.

Image 43

Image 44

Day 1 - 12/16 - German Impulse 4 - Command 1

It has not been two Impulse since I activated the ISS division, so I play Kampfgruppe to activate a number of units in the 6th Panzer Army.

Image 45

Nothing complicated here. German units will move up and crowd the line obeying stacking limits. The first attack will be at the unit in 0705 with no combat tactics. They are being saved for the next attack two hexes North.

Image 46

Undetected Allied check does not yield any hidden units.

Image 47

I draw the minimum 2 combat chits and get two immediate hits. I get cocky and decide to go for only 4 more (could of taken 5). Allies end up taking 3 hits, Germans take none.

Image 48

Allies lose the IP marker, retreat twice and take a step loss. Two German mech units follow their retreat into Bullingen and find some fuel!

Image 49

Image 50

The Kampfgruppe command card played has a CV value of 4 and I haven't played any combat tactics yet. I play the last two cards in my hand as combat tactics to support the attack at hex 0505. The 2nd combat tactic really doesn't have any value except for the extra combat chit draw. I want to shed all cards in my hand so the Allies only have one impulse left for the day.

Image 51

Allied detection check finds brings out a reserve unit!

Image 52

Image 53

Minimum combat chit draw is 4 this time, maximum is 7. The hidden unit really fowled things up. So I decide to draw all 7 chits.

Image 54

The green units must not of been ready for combat. The Allies are unscathed and the Germans take a hit. I assign the hit to the solo infantry unit. At least they rank up.

Image 55

I play the card in my hand to repair the bridge hex side 1708.

Image 56

Day 1 - 12/16 - Allied Impulse 4

Allies must be regrouping. I draw No Command for the Allies however they did find the time to set up a roadblock. I had a little trouble here. I think I found the only two possible positions for a roadblock (marked with Allied Position markers). Tie breaker put the roadblock right on the other side of the bridge in hex 1207.

Image 57

Image 58

That ends the first day of Battle of the Bulge. I look forward to folks finding more of my mistakes. I hope at least this helps others learn the game a bit and helps illustrate how great this game is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re: Battle of the Bulge
You remembered the traffic jam limit on one unit crossing a bridge for the second combat but forgot it for the first where two units crossed the bridge.

Note 13.61 which requires losses to be spread evenly. You can't assign two to a unit and kill it. As tactical advice, I would suggest that that is always a bad idea in any case. You can repair units on the map but never get them back from the dead pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great report. I think you made a small mistake in handling your losses. I believe that the second loss step has to be from a different stack if available. I don't think you can suffer all losses with a single unit. 13.61

Also, even though you advanced the infantry, couldn't one of the armor units advance too. I though one unit could advance over each river hexside. In fact, if you drop a different unit down a step, the one you eliminated could advance too. 13.8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, thank you, this is going to be a serious treat for readers. It will be a lot of work, but rewarding, I trust. Again - thank you so much for your ambition to document your journey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great level of detail to start with. Very helpful to new players. I just began my German solo and started with same first attack. However I was thinking maximizing overall number of attacks was best given allied first round disadvantages (no combat hits). So didn't burn cards for tactics. Turned out 5 chits only generated 2 hits so Allies ran away. Thinking maybe your hyper aggressive attacks were smarter. But will play out my strategy for now. Shake up the line in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John B/Tom - thank you very much for pointing out my mistakes! Fortunately, they are pretty easy to fix because I haven't got that much further in the game yet and I don't think those blunders impacted anything that has come after yet. I am currently on the 2nd German Impulse, so I haven't got much further yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had updated the report to fix my mistakes and show the first Allied Impulse. Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Clervaux is in danger of surround so not eligible for deployment.

You should really have a German mech there anyway. One unit could advance there over the bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:

You should really have a German mech there anyway. One unit could advance there over the bridge.

Thanks Tom. Could you explain how it is in danger of surround? I didn't think it would be because of Traffic Jam. I didn't think I could get enough units in one move over there.

Of course, that brings up an interesting question. Traffic Jam is in effect now, but is in considered for Danger of Surround?

Regardless of Traffic Jam, I just don't see how I can get units around that hex in one move. The river and burned bridge is holding everyone back to the east and to the north even the mech unit across the bridge can't get to a surrounding hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I hope this is clear

Traffic jams won't apply in considering movements but only one unit needs to cross a bridge anyway.

The positions which might harbour a roadblock are quite clear for these checks. A roadblock has to be actually triggered and appear to have an effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You surround with zones of control, not actual units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:

I don't see how, the bridge is destroyed and units advancing over it can not proceed an additional hex. You could easily have two mech units one hex east of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you doing CV correctly? I didn't think you added all cards used for tactics to the card used for its CV do you? You just can't play more tactics cards then the CV value of main card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Tom! You help has been tremendous! You picture was very helpful, I was doing Danger of Surround thinking it was surround with units not surround with ZOC. That makes a big difference. No worries. I will revisit and update that move on my session update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
Are you doing CV correctly? I didn't think you added all cards used for tactics to the card used for its CV do you? You just can't play more tactics cards then the CV value of main card?

In the German Solo game anyway, you count the CV of every card you play including combat tactics. Its probably elsewhere in the rulebook but the immediate place I find it is 4.IV.1 (pg 13).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
tal342 wrote:
Tom Kassel wrote:

I don't see how, the bridge is destroyed and units advancing over it can not proceed an additional hex. You could easily have two mech units one hex east of it.

Quite right. Brain fart. I'm so used to playing the AS game where the Germans are often in Clervaux, it just seemed natural. But one mech should certainly cross the river at the broken bridge hexside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:
tal342 wrote:
Tom Kassel wrote:

Quite right. Brain fart. I'm so used to playing the AS game where the Germans are often in Clervaux, it just seemed natural. But one mech should certainly cross the river at the broken bridge hexside.

Isn't Clervaux in Danger of Surround simply by moving the infantry two hexes up the road and having ZOC over (1609, 1710, 1809) and moving only one mech forward one hex (which is legit move) to 1708 and now having ZOC over (1608, 1708, 1808) thereby making Clervaux ineligible for reserve deployment?

I updated my pictures above in case it helps. I thought Clervaux was quite easily in Danger of Surround. Perhaps I still don't get the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
T-Mo wrote:

In the German Solo game anyway, you count the CV of every card you play including combat tactics. Its probably elsewhere in the rulebook but the immediate place I find it is 4.IV.1 (pg 13).

I was doing it wrong thanks. Look forward to more reports from the session. Great learning tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
Tom Kassel wrote:
tal342 wrote:
Tom Kassel wrote:

Isn't Clervaux in Danger of Surround simply by moving the infantry two hexes up the road and having ZOC over (1609, 1710, 1809) and moving only one mech forward one hex (which is legit move) to 1708 and now having ZOC over (1608, 1708, 1808) thereby making Clervaux ineligible for reserve deployment?

I updated my pictures above in case it helps. I thought Clervaux was quite easily in Danger of Surround. Perhaps I still don't get the rule.

No, you consider danger-of-surround as if the unit were actually placed there, which would prevent the infantry from moving through. In general due to sticky ZOCs it's pretty hard to get around behind an enemy unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doh! Thanks Chris! Back to the drawing board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Battle of the Bulge - Day 1 - 12/16
OP is updated with the beginning of German Impulse 2 on Day 1. I originally was intending to put this all in one apparently gigantic session report, but its evident that it would be better to break it up into days otherwise that gigantic session report might end up breaking the internets or something. So the plan is one session report for each day currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dave -- this is awesome! Hope to see more.

I have another wrench to throw into your initial attack by XLVII Panzer Corps. It looks like you did not halve the strength of the units attacking across river hexsides. According to what I see in the picture, the combat odds should be 3:1. Based on your combat chit draws, it looks like the result should have been A1/D3.

One defender hit would be absorbed by removing the IP marker. The defender would have retreated one hex into Clervaux for the second hit. For the third hit you would conduct a Hold Check with a Hold Chance of 6. Depending on the die result, the unit would either take a step loss and stay in Clervaux, or retreat a second hex into 1710 and become dispersed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you John! I have 5 XLVII units attacking for a total of 17 attack vs 3. The single unit in 1807 (4), the 3 units in 1707 (11), and the reinforcement unit in 1607 (2) (moving from 1706).

Image 11 shows the initial attack.

Hopefully I didn't mess that up too. Or I'll get to redo the reserve deployment yet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post!

One minor issue:

Quote:
Day 1 - German Impulse 1 - Command 2

I have not equaled or exceeded the opening impulse command value of 10, so I can play a new command card. So my next command is to attempt essentially the same thing with the XLVII Panzer Corp to the immediate North.

I believe XLVII PC is to the immediate south.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, given how much gaming goodness is in this package....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.