Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that WABA Thornlie will have the honor of hosting the first Official Nuclear War Tournament in Australia. A Flying Buffalo delivered some neat prizes today, so this will be an officially Official, sponsored even, Official Nuclear War Tournament in Australia. Officially.

I am seeking have received confirmation that it is the first one and will let you know.

Dig in, print that propaganda, and put on the SPF 5000 sunscreen!

Turn up to the Thornlie meeting this month - the 25th July 2015, time TBA (let me know what best fits you and I'll see what I can do) and participate in clever diplomacy and all out nuclear war.

The Forest Lakes / Thornlie Family Centre
39 Towncentre Drive,
Thornlie WA 6108

After the tournament, I will email the results to Mr Rick Loomis and he will post them on www.flyingbuffalo.com/winner.htm I will need to tell him your name and home city if you've got first place, second place, or third place so if you're not happy with that, don't win. Or come 2nd or 3rd.

Please let me know if you intend to participate in this historic event as if I get an idea of numbers I will be able to adapt the tournament format.

You may win wonderful prizes!

The prize pool includes:

Nuclear War

Nuclear Escalation

Nuclear Proliferation

There's mad science! There's alien technology! There's 200 megaton warheads! There's bumper stickers! All kindly provided by Mr Loomis. Apparently I can't mention the [redacted] in the forums.

It's all very exciting! This is a game that has had a long history with Australian gamers - it might even have been played at Swancon 1, 40 years ago, and has certainly been played across 4 decades of gaming in WA.

Excited!

Edit: Yesterday another envelope came from Flying Buffalo. It contains, among other things, a SuperGerm temporary tattoo, and some more Special Cards.

You might be wondering how the prizes will be distributed.

First prize winner will pick one of Nuclear War, Nuclear Proliferation or Nuclear Escalation.

Second prize winner will pick out of whatever of the two are left.

Third prize winner gets the remaining item.

Furthermore, they will get to pick, in turn, out of the cards that I've been sent.

Other prizes will be distributed as appropriate.

Remember, buy your fallout shelters from a trusted vendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Loomis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I am happy to donate prizes, and I hereby declare this an OFFICIAL tournament! Winners get bragging rights for years!
Rick Loomis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ready your fallout shelters - it's official - we are the first in Australia.
Everybody who was in the building will get bragging rights for years!

Rick has also kindly listed it as the first official Nuclear War Tournament in Australia on the Flying Buffalo website, go here to admire it.

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/dates.shtml
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How does a 2 'o' clock start sound for the tournament?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Chua
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flyingbuffalo wrote:
I am happy to donate prizes, and I hereby declare this an OFFICIAL tournament! Winners get bragging rights for years!
Rick Loomis

Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First they say don't mention the 'k' word, the they say don't post across multiple forums... Do let your gaming friends interstate know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Minutillo
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Keeping you up to date with Kickstarter Campaigns in the Tabletop Games category
badge
Keeping you up to date with Kickstarter Campaigns in the Tabletop Games category
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in participating. I've never played but I'm prepared to be an upstart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*EDIT* Sorry - forgot i'm going to be busy.
But still think it is cool you have organised this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Chua
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to sit as a reserve (pending committee responsibilities).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rutkay
Australia
flag msg tools
I weaseled myself out of work, so I'll be back to proclaim "Move to Bermuda Triangle-land, where no-one died today."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rutkay
Australia
flag msg tools
So the expansions don't come with a population set... luckily we can get an upcoming set of cards for $10 including shipping.

Ernest, you might want to order yourself a set too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't they?

There's not a sheet of uncut cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a good turn out for the first ever official Nuclear War Tournament in Australia.

In total we had 10 players, playing two games each.

In the first round the first casualty was Michael Rutkay, the champion of the last tournament. This occurred in the initial secrets round. But his story was not over. It was for that game though.

The winner of that table was Ernest Chua with Bernard Booth coming a credible second.

On the other table it came down to Elaine Walker and Sharon Dunstan, who, after demolishing everyone else battled each other to prolonged mutual destruction with massive use of propaganda and then more violent methods.

The second round saw 3 clear equal firsts emerge with Michael Minutillo and Michael Rutkay making clear wins on their respective tables.

Bernard Booth meantime managed to score a 2nd second on the top table.

1 places Ernest Chua, Michael Minutillo, Michael Rutkay
2nd place Bernard Booth
3rd place Elaine Walker, Sharon Dunstan

Thank you to everyone who played, thank you to the good people at The Games Capital for their kind prize donation and especially to Richard Loomis at Flying Buffalo for suggesting that I do this, and sending us the stickers and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Photographs can be viewed here: https://goo.gl/photos/NnWiXF2Q1hoeuhP49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rutkay
Australia
flag msg tools
Ahha!

Cheers Leece, the sheets of population were hidden under all of the player boards. blush

(I was thrown off by the complementary set of standard playing cards that were in the sets.)

Thanks for running the competition.
I'll keep my sets in an emergency bag in case I need to fill spare time in a fallout shelter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Chua
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Rob and Leece for organising and running this tournament, and special thanks everyone who providing prizes!

The results of this tournament have been recorded at https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/149257/item/4027897#item4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.