Subject: Differences between v1.25 and v2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: AoN [+] v2.0 [+] [View All]
Towerwood
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This overview concentrates on the differences between the 'old' living rules v1.25 and the 'new' v2.0 rules. Be careful, often I rephrased the rules in my own words (in fact I used excerpts from the upcoming Q&A manual v2.0). For the exact (and usually more elaborate) formulation of the rules, please consult the official v2.0 rules of Renaud Verlaque. I will try to maintain this list to include reader comments (pointing out errors, for example), at the sake of readability of this thread but at the benefit of anyone who is looking for a complete overview of the rules differences.

1) The general course of play

Some cards will come easier into play by the following new rule:

Whenever Britannia, Continental System, Napoleonic Dynasty, Radetzky, Stein, or Territorial Concessions is discarded, the other player may pick it up and in exchange discard another card from his hand.

Be aware, however, that according to the new rules:

The cards Radetzky and Stein can only be played when respectively Austria and Prussia have surrendered at least once in the past.

2) Which countries can I diplomatically affect?

It becomes slightly more difficult for France to turn Prussia, Austria or Russia into French allies with the following new rule:

(F) can only diplomatically turn Prussia, Austria or Russia into French allies if it occupies their respective capital areas

3) When is an insurrection suppressed, and what happens then?

It becomes easier for France to violently suppress an insurrection:

The insurrection is suppressed when there are no insurrection corps left on the board, and more than half of the areas of the insurrecting country, including its capital area, are occupied by french-controlled corps.

4) How many cards do I get?

The upper limit stays the same, but there is now also a lower limit:

You may never receive more than 10 cards or less than 6 cards.

5) From which countries can I get corps?

The Russian invasion corps can get into play, even when Russia has not been invaded:

If Russia has not been invaded, the owning player can put Russian Invasion-corps in the reserve to maintain the total number of Russian corps on the board plus in the reserve at 8 corps. As soon as Russia is invaded, all (remaining) Invastion-corps must be put in the reserve.

6) When is a corps subjected to March Attrition?

The rules are changed slightly to:

When at least one of the following conditions is met:
1) It moves into a 3rd area
2) It moves into a 4th area
3) It moves into an area with the Forced March card
4) It moves into a mountain or marsh area.
5) It moves into an area during a winter campaign round

7) When are the consequences of March Attrition applied?

This changed rather drastically to:

1) Right after entering an area where there is a cause for march attrition
2) before you continue to move into the next area of your route
3) before a withdrawal, interception or battle (if any) takes place,
4) and before trying to follow an enemy army that withraws
To clarify:
The total MA of an army is set at the beginning of the move, and is therefore not affected by March Attrition.

8) How do I apply March Attrition?

The way to apply march attrition also changed:

For each occurrence of one of the 5 march attrition causes stated above, do in the following order:
1) Count the number of spent corps suffering march attrition due to the current cause, and roll a die.
2) Cross-reference these two numbers on the March Attrition Table on Player Aid Card 2 to determine how many of these spent corps are lost due to march attrition.
3) The owning player chooses the losses among the just counted spent corps. The lost corps are moved to the Prisoners Box if it's not winter, and permanently to the game box if it's winter.
4) Fresh corps suffering march attrition due to the current cause, are now flipped so that they become spent.

To clarify:
A fresh corps suffering march attrition due to more than 1 cause, becomes spent due to the first cause, is counted as a spent corps for the other causes, and may thus still be eliminated due to march attrition.

9) When is there a neutrality violation?

Basically the same rules as before, but since there were so many questions about it on BGG, Renaud Verlaque made the answer on this question much clearer and unambiguous:

When at least one of the following two conditions is met:
a) When a foreign corps ends a move, interception, withdrawal or retreat in a neutral country.
b) When a foreign corps enters the capital area of a neutral major country; except when this corps is intercepted in this capital area by an enemy army that chooses to attack rather than defend. In that case it's the attacking intercepting army that violates the neutrality.

For the sake of clarity:
a) Foreign corps already present in a country when it turns neutral do not violate its neutrality as long as none of the conditions above are met.
b) In the case of an occupied neutral country, the above neutrality violation rules are suspended for the occupying side for the time it has at least one corps in the capital area.
c) If the occupying force moves its last corps of the capital area to another area inside the country, it violates the neutrality.
d) If the occupying force moves its last corps of the capital area out of the country, the country becomes a non-occupied neutral country. The other corps that are still in the country don't violate the neutrality rules as long as they stand still, or move out of the country avoiding the capital area.

10) What happens in the surrender phase?

The following rules allows the Brittannia marker to get sooner into effect:

If neither Austria, Prussia, nor Russia is a (C) member, put the Brittannia marker into effect (if it wasn't already).

In addition, the new rules state that:

The "No Surrender" card can no longer be played in 1815.

11) No "moral" victories

If by the end of 1815 neither side has obtained a victory, the French player wins

12) When does France obtain a marginal victory?

The conditions for a marginal victory of (F) have slightly changed:

When all of the following conditions are met:
a) The current game turn is 1811 or later, OR (F) invaded Russia before the current year
b) Either Austria or Russia, and all countries adjacent to France are French allies, French dominions, or (F)-occupied neutral countries
c) Neither Austria nor Russia is a Coalition member, an insurgent country, or a (C)-occupied neutral country

13) When does France obtain a decisive victory?

Also here a slight change:

When all of the following conditions are met:
a) Austria, Prussia, Russia, and all countries adjacent to France are French allies, French dominions, or (F)-occupied neutral countries
b) Britain is the only coalition member, and there are no insurgent countries nor (C)-occupied neutral countries

14) When does the Coalition obtain a marginal victory?

it becomes easier for (C) to obtain a marginal victory:

When the French only control France and no more than 1 minor country

15) Miscellaneous

- A Forced March card can be used to move an army without discarding another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to read something about differences in play, how did you experience them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Towerwood
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+Tsaar+ wrote:
It would be interesting to read something about differences in play, how did you experience them?

Well, I would like to play a bit more with the new rules, before I can give a fair judgement...
I'll try to answer your question in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These all sound like great changes, except the march attrition rules (which may be good changes, but still don't sound like the proper intuitive fix for a system that was much more complicated than it needed to be in the old system--making several rolls, keeping track of when guys become spent, etc. introduces a lot of complexity into what is otherwise a nice, simple game).

Too bad I gave my copy away. Is there a new edition to go with the new rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the v2.0 rules available? The Phalanx site is moving like a crippled snail, so I don't know if they are there or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the Files section for this game on the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Please note that the 2.0 rules posted on this board incorrectly state that a marginal Coalition victory can be achieved by reducing French control to France and no more than THREE minor countries -- it is France and no more than ONE minor country. This errata was caught before printing the 2.0 edition, so the 2.0 printed rules should have this correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.