Compleat Strategist
11 East 33rd Street
212-685-3880
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

Neutral Ground
122 West 26th Street, 4th Floor
212-633-1288
http://neutralground.com/

Both stores are considerably more expensive than shopping online, but it's still fun to browse the games in person and both have decent selection to browse. Neutral Ground is a much larger store with a big area to play games, although I think it actually packs a smaller selection of eurogames into that space. Neutral Ground also focuses a fair bit on CCG's like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh. On the other hand, Compleat Strategist is a much smaller space, but really packs a lot of games into that space, but not really any room to play, and in addition to eurogames carries more RPGs and Warhammer type stuff I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vidalis
Greece
Athens, Ilioupoli - Αθήνα, Ηλιούπολη
Attiki, Greece - Αττική, Ελλάδα
flag msg tools
Come and play with us!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there
I am gonna come at NY at 8-18/4/2015

Any suggestions of stores or gamming nights its was accepted.
I also check out that on this thread.
For something new or if you want something from Greece gm me.
I am coming with empty baggage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist is still around and has an amazing inventory of games. Not the best retail prices from a NY perspective, but definitely worth checking out. They do have gaming space in the back, but I have never used it, so I can't tell you much there. They also don't have the most helpful staff. But still something to check out.

The Uncommons is a newer gaming cafe in the West Village. It's really small and has games you can rent for $5 a day, you can play any of their games all day along. They also have some games to buy. They do host some special game events or game nights. So check out their website for any events. But if you're going to just hang out, I would recommend going at less busy times, like during the day. The place can fill up fast during peak hours and gets REALLY cramped and loud fast.

The 20Sided Store in Williamsburg Brooklyn is also another option. a Bit of a hike by subway, but a great space to check out.

I would suggest looking for Meetups that may be going on, as many gaming groups meet in various locations around the City.

Enjoy your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're shopping, fine.

If you're buying - don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself at The Uncommons on 3rd and Thompson quite regularly. There is a games workshop not far from there either if Warhammer intrigues you (gotten a lot better since they downsized staff, the one guy there now is really good)

Compleat Strategist has game nights on thursdays (and only thursdays, otherwise they are expensive, not knowledgeable of their products, and in my personal experience, fairly rude. But their selection is really good if you decide to walk around.

If you're only here for a bit, i'd strongly say Uncommons, order a mozzareppa while you're there pretty damn good.

Ive never heard of neutral ground, and that website looks like its fake lol... perhaps someone has more info on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Neutral Ground closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Neutral Ground closed in 2008. This thread began in 2006.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:

Damn!! i fell victim to a necromancer... Someone save my zombified typing corpse!!! I don't feel dead but I must be due to necromancy!! I'm a MONSTER!!!

Anyone else really want some meat right now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Krimson62 wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:

Damn!! i fell victim to a necromancer... Someone save my zombified typing corpse!!! I don't feel dead but I must be due to necromancy!! I'm a MONSTER!!!

Anyone else really want some meat right now?

But in all seriousness, good to know about the new stores, esp. the one in Brooklyn, my brother lives there and I will check it out next time I'm visiting.

I've heard bad stories about Compleat Strategies. Like someone who had a game fall on them from a tall shelf due to no action on their part, and then told that if it broke, they would have to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls