Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I posted about this a couple of months ago. And I finally started working on this during the weekend.

Basically what I have done is a website that randomizes the story choices and equipment/clue/obstacle placement.

A proof of concept page is available here:
Edit: the site is fully functional now.

http://mansionsofmadness.net

Currently the only working scenario is "House of Fears".

I would guess that it will take a day or two to add all of the scenarios to the page.

I'd really appreciate if someone who has more experience with the game, rules and basically some sort of game development to help me out with custom rules. Such as how the mosters will move across the board.
I have included the possibility to change the monsters behavior during the game (just click the time tokens on the page for an example.)

Do I need to add any other functionality to the page?

Just so you know, I'm not willing to spend too much time on fluff. At the moment my priorities are these:

1.) Add all scenarios
2.) Fix the css so the page doesn't look as horrible as it does now.

Any help will be very appreciated! I think this is the best way to make a solo/co-op version of the game without revealing too much information to the investigators.

----------------
Edited to update the post with a scenario that is actually working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web based automated Keeper, help needed, proof of concept page is up!
I wish I had the knowledge / skill set to help out but I will be very interested to see how this turns out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web based automated Keeper, help needed, proof of concept page is up!
Yeah, if I could wish I'd like something like RedJak's Automated Overlord for descent.
But I think more simple variants will do just as well.
I'll try and scan all maps tomorrow and then I'll just have to add the cards and roims for each scenario. Should go quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Web based automated Keeper, help with rules needed, proof of concept page is up!
First scenario finished.

This is basically how i imagine the page will look and work like:

http://mansionsofmadness.net/keeper.php?chosenScenario=scena...

Now, all we need is someone to get us some functioning rules on how to spend threat etc.
And, I'll have to add all the other scenarios.

Please let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Re: Web based automated Keeper, help with rules needed, proof of concept page is up!
Nifty idea. A few thoughts:

If you would not only display the name of the card, but the whole text, this would probably simplify stuff greatly in use.

A way to un-reveal accidentally revealed cards would be useful in case of mis-clicking.

I think the story choices should be hidden and only reveal if needed / wanted. This of course would mean that the clue cards are in your database as well and correctly seeded. Event cards and Objectives probably could also be there to be revealed at the correct times. Although Events can work totally independent of most things that happen otherwise and may as well be handled by the players.

I'd try and find some way to make the cards stand out a bit more. Perhaps give them a border or glow. I'd also have all cards be the same size instead of adjust to room sizes. Somewhat smallish is probably best.

Adding more notes to the board would be nice: Starting position, hiding spaces etc (not sure if there are any features on this scenario, just generally speaking).

To set up an automated keeper, there are a few things to consider; You'll need some way to enter player number and mark player and monster positions, otherwise your keeper's output might not make sense. This would also be useful to fix the amount of threat gained each turn.

Perhaps do not make the monster behaviour something the user can change, but a semi-randomized output. So, once it's the keeper phase, you click "Keeper", then you get a short dialogue that tells you what the Keeper does and what you need to do. (You feel an unholy presence as the Keeper draws cards. A Zombie appears in the Library. The Chtonian in the Hallway moves towards Investigator Y and attacks. Time passes. etc)

If you don't have your automated keeper know where which investigator and monster is, you'll end up with all sorts of problems; Playing mythos cards is mostly dependant on the investigators whereabouts, as are a lot of monster-related keeper-actions. To make sensible use of the Mythos cards, you'd additionally want a way to track the Investigators remaining sanity and health. All in all, I fear that this part of your project will be the trickier than what you already achieved.

A thing that you might be able to simplify is the possibility to play Mythos cards during the Investigator's turn. On the other hand, if you have investigators represented on the board, you can just have the Keeper trigger automatically as any player enters the correct room.

You might want to allow to set the Keeper for different levels of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
Nifty idea. A few thoughts:
If you would not only display the name of the card, but the whole text, this would probably simplify stuff greatly in use.

I agree! I have decided not to do this for three reasons:
1.) I don't want to get in trouble with Fantasy flight for (basically) publishing their campaign guides online.
2.) This is a board game after all. How much fun would it be without the cards?
3.) I'd have to write down all the text on those cards. And that's something I wouldn't like to do.

lee elektrik wrote:

A way to un-reveal accidentally revealed cards would be useful in case of mis-clicking.

Sure, I'll add that tonight.

lee elektrik wrote:

I think the story choices should be hidden and only reveal if needed / wanted. This of course would mean that the clue cards are in your database as well and correctly seeded. Event cards and Objectives probably could also be there to be revealed at the correct times. Although Events can work totally independent of most things that happen otherwise and may as well be handled by the players.

Yes, this is the way the finished page will work. Right now they are really important for debugging purposes.

lee elektrik wrote:

I'd try and find some way to make the cards stand out a bit more. Perhaps give them a border or glow. I'd also have all cards be the same size instead of adjust to room sizes. Somewhat smallish is probably best.

Agreed! I'll fix that!

lee elektrik wrote:

Adding more notes to the board would be nice: Starting position, hiding spaces etc (not sure if there are any features on this scenario, just generally speaking).

See answer 2-3 to the first question.

lee elektrik wrote:

To set up an automated keeper, there are a few things to consider; You'll need some way to enter player number and mark player and monster positions, otherwise your keeper's output might not make sense. This would also be useful to fix the amount of threat gained each turn.

lee elektrik wrote:

Perhaps do not make the monster behaviour something the user can change, but a semi-randomized output. So, once it's the keeper phase, you click "Keeper", then you get a short dialogue that tells you what the Keeper does and what you need to do. (You feel an unholy presence as the Keeper draws cards. A Zombie appears in the Library. The Chtonian in the Hallway moves towards Investigator Y and attacks. Time passes. etc)

This was meant to be something that changes with the progression of the story. Not something the players could choose. So for instance once the objective is revealed, the monsters could get a new objective. Or youi could add specific rules to balance the play. I will add numbers to the threat tokens to make that more clear.

lee elektrik wrote:

If you don't have your automated keeper know where which investigator and monster is, you'll end up with all sorts of problems; Playing mythos cards is mostly dependant on the investigators whereabouts, as are a lot of monster-related keeper-actions. To make sensible use of the Mythos cards, you'd additionally want a way to track the Investigators remaining sanity and health. All in all, I fear that this part of your project will be the trickier than what you already achieved.

A thing that you might be able to simplify is the possibility to play Mythos cards during the Investigator's turn. On the other hand, if you have investigators represented on the board, you can just have the Keeper trigger automatically as any player enters the correct room.

You might want to allow to set the Keeper for different levels of difficulty.

This is not meant to be an automated keeper. And this tool is not meant to replace the board game. It's simply a way to enable an automated keeper to set up the game.
I still want Mansions of Madness to be a board game. And I want to minimise the use of computers, tablets etc as much as possible. Otherwise you might as well play a computer rpg of some sort.

This tool will never:
1.) Count threat. We have tokens for that
2.) Draw cards for you, we have card stacks for that.
3.) In any way move monsters or even have monsters represented on the screen.
4.) It is not meant to be an AI. The players will do a better job with this with only a few simple rules for each scenario.

Hope you understand. And if I come off as harsh, I don't mean to. I just want to be clear about what this is meant for. I love my board games and I wouldn't want to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the issues that lee elektrik pointed out.
At least those I felt like fixing.

Please let me know if you have any other requests and I'll make sure to try and incorporate them.
Unless I feel that they take the game away from the table and closer to the computer of course...

If not, I'll keep on adding more scenarios.
But keep in mind, that the more stuff I add the more unlikely it is that I will do any drastic changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
lugiber wrote:
1.) I don't want to get in trouble with Fantasy flight for (basically) publishing their campaign guides online.
I assuned you had somehow contacted them, as you already use maps and setup instructions. Either way, the scenario guides are of no use without a copy of the game, so they might not really care.

Quote:
This is not meant to be an automated keeper.
I had assumed it was meant to be exactly that, judging from the title of the thread.

Quote:
It's simply a way to enable an automated keeper to set up the game.
Ok. This makes more sense then.

Quote:
It is not meant to be an AI. The players will do a better job with this with only a few simple rules for each scenario.
Possibly yes. Only coming up with these may not be as simple and might require indeed scenario-specific AI behaviour (even if not emulated through your web-program). I guess the monster behaviour is a simpler one of these things to set, whereas threat management (actions, mythos, special rules) seems a lot more tricky. Maybe ignoring threat altogether and just have randomized monster spawning (if allowed by scenario), default monster movement (as allowed by scenario, command minion for example), trauma card draws each time you lose health or sanity (discard without effect if not applicable), and randmized mythos card draws at the start of investigator turns (draw until you get one that works in the current situation). This might also be a nice place to integrate a difficulty setting; The harder the more frequent bad stuff happens.

A thing that remains even more tricky might be how to handle objective cards. If your non-automated keeper does know nothing about the game state, it can hardly trigger objective reveals. Maybe have buttons/tickboxes with all possible endgame/victory conditions, have te players tick off what has been achieved/reached, and have the non-AI AI know which combination makes one side win, based on the scenario choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
What I was trying to say is that I will develop a tool for random card placement, and possibly other functions to enable someone else to write the rules for an automated keeper.
I'm definetly not the right man for the job there.
With that said, if someone wants to write the rules for an automated keeper I'd be happy to add what ever functions they want to the webpage. To a certain extent.
I'm definetly not a good enough programmer to write an AI that rivals what humans very easily can do. Basically, any ai that I would write would make really stupid choices. So I'd prefer it if the desicions made by the automated keeper were left to the human players.

I do like your idea of the story choices affecting the way the keeper plays the scenario. That was the general idea about the "time token buttons" on the page.

I have no problems with the automated keeper being stupid. I've played through all official descent campaigns with Redjak's automated overlord. And that Overlord is very stupid. But its still very fun to play.
All we need to do is to really leave the hard choices to the players, and give some sort of handicap to the automated keeper to make up for the stupid choices it will make.
After all, the keeper in Mansions of Madness is not supposed to play against the players. He/She/It is supposed to add a challenge to the players.

I have never read the story/events in advance when I have played keeper in Mansions of Madness. I can still challenge the players, and I still win on occation. I, personally, find it more exciting to play without knowing exactly what happens and to see the story unfold.

You are definetly right that there will be a challenge to write the rules for the automated keeper. And those rules will need to be adjusted to each scenario.
The big question for me is if someone will be up for the challenge or if I'm doing all of this in vain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Can you give a basic example of what you are after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Can you give a basic example of what you are after?

Thanks for the reply!

The easiest way to explain it is that:

I will provide the randomized story choices and game setup.
But I would like someone who knows the game better than me to write the rules for how to play the keeper in single player/co-op mode.

For instance:
1.) What is the keepers objective for the current scenario?
2.) How does the keeper spend threat?
3.) How does the monsters move?
4.) Special rules for each scenario?

Hope that explains what I'm after?
You could probably take a look at Redjak's automated overlord for Descent second edition. Those kinds of rules should be easily applied to Mansions. They only lack rules for spending threat:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104973/redjaks-automated-...

I think this might give you some ideas as well:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1396933/redjaks-monster-ai-...

And if you feel that some new functionality needs to be added to the web site, let me know and I'll add it (if possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what he means is that he basically wants someone to design the keeper decision tree for each scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I think what he means is that he basically wants someone to design the keeper decision tree for each scenario.

Yeah, that's right.

This is where the time track can help. I really think it could make a difference to make the keeper change strategy during the game. Without too much complexity when designing the automated keeper.
As Heiko Günther suggested, these could change depending on scenario choices. As an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added all base game scenarios now.
I'll continue to add Forbidden Alchemy tomorrow. Hopefully I'll also find the time to add more stuff as well. All depends on if I have to write custom code for some scenarios. If I remember correctly "Call of the Wild" had some funky mechanics on some scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I havn't had a chance to look into this yet to see if I can come up with something for you and your keeper issue. Hopefully I'll be less busy soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I havn't had a chance to look into this yet to see if I can come up with something for you and your keeper issue. Hopefully I'll be less busy soon.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will find the time to look at this.
Thanks for considering to help out! That really keeps me motivated to add the rest of the scenarios.
Please take a look at the site when you find a moment. Perhaps it will five you a few ideas.
If there is some functionality you'd like to be added just let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added all "Forbidden Alchemy" and all "Print on Demand" scenarios.
I'll add "Call of the Wild" tomorrow.
My brain hurts.

Btw, if anyone is interested in helping out. Please click through the scenarios and look for duplicate items and if you have the scenario book close by take a look at the clues. I'm trying to find all issues and I'm constantly improving the code. But it wouldn't hurt with a pair of extra eyes. I'm really bad at finding errata. Really, really bad at it.

Edit:
And, one more thing. I have an idea on how we could print numbered placeholder cards and use a template to be able to read what the card says.

Basically you would do this to play the game without a computer/tablet.

1.)Print a number of placeholder cards numbered 1-25 or something.
2.)Print a "code key". (The same one can be used over and over again)

For each scenario
1.)Choose your scenario.
2.)Print the scenario map which will have the numbered cards placed on the map (so you know where to put your "numbered" cards.)
3.)Print coded pages that you can read with the "code key"

The "code key" would be a simple piece of paper with specifically placed holes in it.
You would place the "code key" over a printed page. That page will have a small square with the same number as the card you picked. That square will have the card name mixed together with loads of random letters. And the code key would block out the random letters so you only could read the card name.
This way you can print the cards without reading which card lies where and ruining the scenario.
Hope you understand what I mean.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Does this sound like anything you would be interested in or would it only be a waste of time on my part to make it?
I just hate the idea of playing board games and having to use a computer/tablet to get instructions.
What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changed the topic to reflect that the site is finished. At least until we get some automated keeper rules written.

I've added the four competitive scenarios for call of the wild today. Which makes the site complete.

If anyone feels inclined to write rules for an automated keeper, please let me know, I'll try to help in any way that I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added a few more pages to the site today.
Those are basically only interesting for those who don't want to use their computer together with the board game.
This is how it works:

1.) Go to http://mansionsofmadness.net and choose which scenario to play.
2.) Click the checkbox that says "Show room numbers" in the bottom left of the browser window.
3.) Print the map.
4.) Click the button "List of cards".
Print it. You'll need it later.
5.) Click the button "Get printable room sheets".
Print the page.
The idea is that you should cut out the black box with the holes in it and place it over the numbered square corresponding to the room you are in.
You can now read a three digit number. Use the list of cards to see what's in the room.

I don't recommend that you print anything at the moment. I need to tweak the sizeing and spacing of the numbers and the black box/key. See this as a proof of concept.

But you can test it out since you are able to drag the black box/key directly in the browser. It's a lot easier to read if you zoom in on the page. (ctrl+ on windows/linux and command+ on mac). To restore the browser to it's default zoom just press ctrl0 (windows/linux) or command0 in mac.

Two more things:
The black box/template/key will be the same for all scenarios. So you'd only have to cut it once.
The same goes for the list of items. It contains all doors/obstacles/clues/items for the whole game.

Let me know what you tink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This is nitpicking, but you should consider the label html element for check boxes. This will allow users to click on the text to check/uncheck the box, which is much more handy than clicking on just the check box, because the latter is much smaller.

That being said, congrats for your work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giga wrote:
Hello,

This is nitpicking, but you should consider the label html element for check boxes. This will allow users to click on the text to check/uncheck the box, which is much more handy than clicking on just the check box, because the latter is much smaller.

That being said, congrats for your work!

Thanks!
Sure thing!
I'll add that tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news guys!
Byron/kittenhoarder has agreed to write the rules for an automated keeper. So this is finally happening! I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about this!

I've added the canges requested by Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester/giga.
I have also structured the numbered cards for the printable version so that they are easier to lay out. Basically the top left card is card 1 and the bottom right card is the last one. No more having to look 50 times in the keeper guide to ensure that the cards are put in the right place!

The next thing to do is to finish the printable version of the automated keeper. But that will have to wait until I get to work on Tuesday since I don't own a printer and I will have to do a lot of test prints to ensure that everything works.
Also, I need to make the 25 (or something) numbered cards to put on the board. I also need to make tokens for the doors/obstacles. And I don't have Photoshop at home.
But basically that's it. Almost finished.
Feels amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of ideas for this. I assume you want it to play as much as possible like the real Keeper, e.g. gaining and spending threat tokens as in the regular game. I think that should work fine if players are willing to do a bit of lateral thinking once the objective is revealed--at this point, the keeper can't afford to make dumb decisions.

Mythos and trauma cards will need to be played differently, since these are hidden info cards (like the OL cards in Descent). I recommend adapting a system similar to the way my threat deck variant handles them, with a few changes to make it more AI-ish. Basically, in my system, Mythos cards get assigned to players and revealed at the start of their turn--if the investigator meets the criteria for the card to be played, they resolve it right away; otherwise, they seed it in the nearest appropriate room to act similar to a lock card. I also recommend nullifying the Mythos threat costs (most are 0 anyway, and almost none are more than 1).

For trauma, I imagine those also being assigned face down to an investigator when the keeper "draws" them (you will need to separate physical and mental traumas before the game). Then, whenever that investigator takes damage or horror, they test their remaining stamina/sanity--on a fail, the trauma is revealed and applied.

That mainly leaves playing keeper action cards, which will be different for each scenario. I do not think it would be out of the question to create a flowchart for that, though. In almost all scenarios, spawning and moving monsters should be a high priority, at least until the objective is revealed. Drawing Mythos/trauma cards is also pretty much universally useful. This all sound good so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I have a lot of ideas for this. I assume you want it to play as much as possible like the real Keeper, e.g. gaining and spending threat tokens as in the regular game. I think that should work fine if players are willing to do a bit of lateral thinking once the objective is revealed--at this point, the keeper can't afford to make dumb decisions.

Agreed! We don't want the keeper to be too stupid. That will take away much of the fun in the game!

kittenhoarder wrote:
Mythos and trauma cards will need to be played differently, since these are hidden info cards (like the OL cards in Descent). I recommend adapting a system similar to the way my threat deck variant handles them, with a few changes to make it more AI-ish. Basically, in my system, Mythos cards get assigned to players and revealed at the start of their turn--if the investigator meets the criteria for the card to be played, they resolve it right away; otherwise, they seed it in the nearest appropriate room to act similar to a lock card. I also recommend nullifying the Mythos threat costs (most are 0 anyway, and almost none are more than 1).

I like the sound of this! The keeper needs some kind of handicap for being very stupid, so to give him/her a little more "power" makes sense!

I like the idea of the trauma cards. Although I wouldn't really mind if the players kept them on their character as it would give the feeling of impending doom. But, you decide, you have obviously put a lot more thought into this than I have.

kittenhoarder wrote:
For trauma, I imagine those also being assigned face down to an investigator when the keeper "draws" them (you will need to separate physical and mental traumas before the game). Then, whenever that investigator takes damage or horror, they test their remaining stamina/sanity--on a fail, the trauma is revealed and applied.

This sounds very evil. I like it! This rule follows the theme of the game. Although I'm a little worried that this rule would hurt the players a little too much. You don't want the investigators to bee too crippled at the end of the game.

kittenhoarder wrote:
That mainly leaves playing keeper action cards, which will be different for each scenario. I do not think it would be out of the question to create a flowchart for that, though. In almost all scenarios, spawning and moving monsters should be a high priority, at least until the objective is revealed. Drawing Mythos/trauma cards is also pretty much universally useful. This all sound good so far?

A flow chart sounds like a good idea! That would enable the keeper to make some informed choices and it would enable you to make the keeper behave differently depending on which scenario is played.

I really like where this is going! Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, more detail:

Automated Keeper General Rules

1) Except where indicated, follow the normal rules of the game.

2) Gilman's Rule: In these stories, men, beasts and other entities will behave in unpredictable and unknowable ways. It is impossible for any sane person to understand their behavior entirely or to attempt to transcribe it as a set of rules with absolute certainty. Because of this, there will often be specific situations for which the Keeper's AI offers no solution, or in which the Keeper's AI behaves in ways that are obviously contradictory to the Keeper's known objectives. In these situations, the investigators should always attempt to resolve the ambiguity in the way that is to the Keeper's greatest advantage as far as their feeble, mortal minds can comprehend it.

3) Keeper goals: When applying Gilman's Rule, pay attention to the Keeper's list of goals. These rules will supply a list of general Keeper goals that should be considered always active, but specific scenarios will also add or replace Keeper goals. Unless said otherwise, scenario-specific Keeper goals take highest priority. In some scenarios, the Keeper's goals and general behavior will change after a certain Event happens or the Objective is revealed.

4) Illusion of Normality: The Keeper AI generally gains and spends threat like a human-controlled Keeper would. The primary way in which the Keeper "breaks the rules" of the game is in dealing with Mythos and Trauma cards, which represent hidden information and would be impossible to play efficiently following the normal rules. General rules for Mythos and Trauma cards are described below, and certain scenarios may provide specific rules for these cards.

General Keeper Goals

When deciding between Keeper actions, consider these Keeper goals to be always active. If given a choice, the Keeper should choose the option that satisfies the most active Keeper goals. These are listed in order of priority, with the highest-priority goal at the top of the list. Scenario-specific Keeper goals typically take priority over all the general Keeper goals.

1) Damage investigators, targeting the lowest-health investigator if possible. Investigators should be killed at the first opportunity possible.
2) Play 0-sanity Trauma cards on insane investigators.
3) Gain additional threat using any Keeper actions that make this possible, such as Take Sample.
4) Hinder the movement of investigators, targeting the investigator carrying the most recent key-type item. This can include moving investigators in an unhelpful direction, forcing evade checks, forcing them to drop items, etc.
5) Move monsters toward investigators or investigators toward monsters.
6) Bring additional monsters into play.
7) Play Trauma cards on investigators, targeting investigators who do not currently have the matching (physical/mental) trauma type attached to their character.
8) Reduce investigator attributes using any effects available, such as stunning the investigator
9) Reduce investigator sanity, targeting the lowest-sanity investigator if possible. Investigators should be reduced to 0 sanity at the first opportunity possible.
10) Draw and play Mythos cards.

Drawing and Assigning Mythos and Trauma cards

The Keeper does not maintain a hand of Mythos and Trauma cards. Instead, these cards are immediately attached to investigators, without revealing them, when drawn. An investigator can never have more than 1 unrevealed Mythos card, 1 physical Trauma, and 1 Mental trauma attached to him at one time, except in the case of 0-sanity Trauma cards assigned to insane investigators.

Before the game begins, build and shuffle the Mythos deck for the scenario as described in the Keeper Guide. Look through the Trauma cards and separate them into 3 facedown decks: one contains all physical trauma cards (put a damage token on it as a reminder), one contains all mental trauma cards (put a horror token on it as a reminder), and one contains all mental trauma cards specifically targeting investigators at 0 sanity (put a stun token on it as a reminder). Shuffle each deck separately.

Whenever the Keeper would draw Mythos or Trauma cards, including at the beginning of the scenario, those cards are instead drawn facedown and immediately assigned to an investigator as follows: Mythos cards are assigned to the Investigator with the lowest Luck attribute (lowest Sanity breaks ties) who does not currently have a Mythos card assigned. The card is kept facedown next to the investigator and revealed at the start of the investigator's turn, as described below.

Trauma cards are assigned to the investigator with the fewest assigned Trauma cards. Break ties as above. Draw from the appropriate deck based on the investigator's LOWEST stat at the time of the draw: if the investigator's Stamina is lower, draw from the physical Trauma pile; if Sanity is lower, draw from the mental Trauma pile. However, remember that each investigator can only have 1 Trauma card of each type, so if the investigator currently has a physical Trauma, draw from the mental Trauma deck regardless of that investigator's current stats. The moment an investigator's Sanity reaches 0, the Keeper will draw and assign a card from the 0-sanity Trauma deck at the next available opportunity, regardless of which Trauma cards the investigator currently has. Otherwise, do not draw "replacement" Trauma cards until all investigators already have the maximum allowed Traumas.

Use tokens, as described above, to keep track of which Trauma deck the facedown cards came from after they are assigned to an investigator.

Revealing and Resolving Mythos cards

At the start of an investigator's turn, if he has an unrevealed Mythos card assigned to him, he immediately reads the card privately. If that investigator meets the requirements for that card to be played on him--for instance, if he is in one of the room types listed on the card--he reveals that Mythos card to the group and immediately resolves its effects. All Mythos cards cost the Keeper 0 threat to play.

If the investigator does not meet the card's requirements, but another investigator does, the investigator holding the Mythos card assigns it facedown to the other investigator to be resolved at the start of the other investigator's turn. Lowest Luck breaks ties. The investigator can't communicate the contents of the card to the rest of the group until it's revealed and resolved. In this situation, an investigator can be assigned and suffer the effects of 2 or more Mythos cards in a single turn.

If no investigator currently meets the card's requirements, and those requirements indicate a type of location on the map, the investigator holding the Mythos card places it facedown on the nearest room that meets the criteria (unexplored rooms take priority). The Mythos card should be placed on top of any Exploration or Obstacle cards but below any Lock cards. The first time an investigator enters a room with a facedown Mythos card in it, the investigator immediately reveals and resolves that card's effects. This interrupts the investigator's turn. As above, the investigator who placed the card in the room cannot communicate any of its details to the other players until it's resolved and revealed.

If no investigators or locations on the map meet the card's requirements, it is discarded and a new Mythos card is drawn to replace it. If this card also cannot be played, it is discarded with no effect and the investigator's turn resumes.

Revealing and Resolving Trauma cards

When an investigator has an unrevealed Trauma card assigned to him, reveal and resolve it according to the following rules.

If it is a physical Trauma, each time the investigator takes damage, test that investigator's remaining Stamina (to save time, you can just use the results of the roll that caused the damage). If the investigator fails the roll, reveal and resolve the Trauma. Ignore any requirements printed on the card involving Stamina values, etc.

If it is a mental Trauma, each time the investigator takes horror, test that investigator's remaining Sanity (to save time, you can just use the results of the roll that caused the horror). If the investigator fails the roll, reveal and resolve the Trauma. Ignore any requirements printed on the card involving Sanity values, etc.

If it is a 0-sanity Trauma, reveal and resolve the card at the earliest possible opportunity.

That concludes the general rules. Scenario-specific rules to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.