Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having only gone once and that several years ago, I decided to attend Gen Con this year, mostly because I was eager to pick up the SoB material available. Here's what I learned:

Beli'al might actually be included in Wave 1.5 shippingsurprise! He's on the bubble right now and it could go either way. Naturally, as the avatar of a god, he'll be the toughest and most lethal monster in the game.

Wave 1.5 shipping is likely to be sent out in November rather than October so, being a weak and impatient person, I bought up almost everything available (except the Darkstone Brutes; no point getting them ahead of the rest of the Scafford Gang).

To my surprised delight, I found that the Burrower pack contained an extra Mission involving going after said creature, which is undoubtedly the most powerful monster currently available (Defense 2, Health 20+15 per hero, always accompanied by a die P worth of tentacles, Endurance 5 (the Burrower can't take more than 5 damage from any one hit, anything over being wasted), roll 2d6 each turn to see which different attack form it uses, etc.).

The Masters of the Void Pack contained two additional Missions, one involving being hunted by a pack of Void Hounds and either finding a magical book or killing the Void Hound Alpha to get them to leave you alone, and the other dealing with exploring the minds to stop a psychic dream attack being used against your posse.

The Serpentmen also had two new Missions, the first calling on you to stop a Serpent Shaman from sacrificing a kidnapped townsperson and the second putting you in the unpleasant position of being caught in the swamps of Jargono during a war between two rival Serpentmen tribes (for the Serpentmen there are eight Tribe cards and six different tribes, each tribe having different abilities; there are also eight Jargono magick cards and five Shaman trinket cards, the latter representing magic items possessed and used by the Shamen! Fortunately you can knock a Trinket out of a Shaman's hand with a critical hit if you choose to forego the damage; in that case roll a die and on a 5 or 6 the Shaman loses his toy).

The Trederran Raiders are charming, using the new Assault rule to empty their Trench pistols into you before they try to slit your throat each turn. And I was afraid the Harvestors would be too vulnerable to dynamite, so I was pleased to find that in addition to being Tough, they are immune to all damage from Explosives, Environment or Weather sources.

The two secret monsters are ones only recently developed and thus not included in the Kickstarter: the two-headed Hell Vermin rats and the Swamp Slugs of Jargono! I particularly liked the latter: they're large models with Initiative 3 (what would you expect of a slug?), Move 9, To Hit Range 4, Melee 3, Combat 1 Damage 6, Defense 2 and Health 15. Furthermore they have Terror 1, Endurance 3 and Acidic Mucus, which causes d3 Wounds ignoring Defense to every Hero unfortunate enough to end a turn adjacent to this rather disgusting enemygoo. Finally, they seem to be worryingly common in the Swamps; there were three Jargono Encounter Cards for them(and three Targa ones for the Trun Hunters).

Would anyone like to know anything else in particular?

• [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Given the add-ons, Star Wars, and Fallout 4 should I take November off from work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds awesome.

are those 2 enemy sets the only non kickstarter items? i need to pick those up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thank you!

What is the Town expansion like/about?

Is the town two sided?

Are there new locations?

Are there rules for duals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:

Any word on MSRP for Cynder and these enemy sets?

Did you learn anything about the expanded frontier town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So the Vermin are different than the 'Rats and Rat Nest' box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Swamp slugs move 9?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Swamp slugs move 9?

sliding in slime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the quality of the minis compared to the base game?
Is there a huge improvement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear what the expanded town rules bring to the table.

Also do you think that the new stuff will make the game harder? The main problem with SoB currently seems to be that it is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely understand why people get frustrated at how long it's taking to develop the content promised on Kickstarter, but every time I hear about new stuff for SoB I am impressed at the creativity being put into each new add-on.

I don't mind waiting if it's going to be so interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did the frogs say anything about the slugs being avaliable in the future?

Can you give us a sneek peak at the void hounds? (One of my hopefully favorite monsters.)

How is the miniatures compared to previous? Do they also require glueing?

If you get a chance to play, it would be awesome to know how the new enemies differ from the old ones.

Thanks you for sharing the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark King
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Developing new enemies outside the KS when we're still waiting for our content is total BS. It's great that they have other ideas but if you tell us time constraints are holding back the KS content then you cannot justify developing entirely different content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick comments from a gencon attendee and KS backer:

Mini quality is about the same for the new stuff. I picked up the gencon exclusives (slugs and hell vermin) for 20 each. Each contained 3 figs, threat cards and a painting guide with some flavor text.

I missed out on being able to do the backer pickup, the 50 were gone by 1p on Thursday, but I can try again sat morning. This is the most irritating thing, they have stacks of cynder and other material but not for me unless I want to pay premium... But I am glad knowing it's getting done and should be coming out by oct/nov.
- John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Petersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you know if the slugs are completly exclusive to gencon or If they will be avaliable at retailers later on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Can you elaborate on the enemy ranged combat rules? How are targets chosen? etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
I also hear that there are alternate arm sets for heroes that allow you to customize with actual guns from the game. Did you see those? Do you know if they're con-exclusive?

Likewise, I heard there were con-exclusive artifacts. Did you see those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
From the dark depths of the ancient ocean, a kindly cetacean spirit with a penchant for board games and dumb made up bios
badge
I like themes. I like stories. I like plastic. I like brutal co-ops. I am kickstarter's whipping boy. Come game with me!
mbmbmbmbmb
All good, interesting stuff. What remains to be seen is if any of this fixes the game from being easy to the point of broken at level 3 posses upwards... or are we going to have to rely on house ruling for that (which in this day an age of modern game design really isn't acceptable)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
I Dunno, Ben, the burrower already is going to solve some of the power issue, but we'll see.

Consider that a standard posse of 4 will have to mow through 80 health of the burrower, plus deal with tentacles, all without being able to do more than 5 damage per hit.

That's, at a minimum, 16 hits of 7 points of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Njorl, you should definitely take November off from work.

Klaxas, those two new Enemy sets should be the only non-Kickstarter items available.

Sorry, lemmingsunday and everyone else who asked about the town, the town was not available for purchase and I left before it was demoed, so I have no information on it.

Sorry, Rekinom, but what is MSRP?

Yes, rebeall88, the Hell Vermin are very different from the Scourge Rats, being much larger and more powerful.

Beorndog, Swamp Slugs do indeed move at 9. I can understand that in the waters of Jargono, but in the Mines I can only assume they do as jokeroz suggested and slide on their own slimegoo.

Endevor, tough for me to judge the quality of the minis. I thought they were better personally, but I've never really paid attention to that so I could be wrong.

Mordjinn, I do think the new monsters will make the game more difficult.

Sorry, andershpetersen, I didn't think to ask about when the slugs would next be available; my only thought was to grab them now! To make up for my oversight, allow me to share with you the Void Hounds!

Large models, Initiative 7, move 10, escape 4+, Melee 3+, Combat 6, Damage 1, Defense *, Health 5. Void Hounds ALWAYS start from ambush and each hero takes 3 horror hits on the turn they appear. A Void Hound's defense is equal to the current Initiative level in the turn order (so the Gunslinger, for example, is going to have a pretty tough time hurting Void Hounds). Void Hounds may move through other models. At the start of the Void Hound's activation after initial Ambush roll a d6. On a 1 or 2 all Void Hounds change targets; on a 6 all Void Hounds target a single random Hero.

It might also interest you to know that there is at least one Threat card which has Void Hounds and Void Sorcerers together, which seems like a pretty frightening team-up.

Gluing is required for most models.

Bjorn2bwild, Trederran Raiders and Trun Hunters use the new Assault rule: At the end of their Movement, even if they didn't move, they make a free Ranged attack against the target they're about to attack in Melee. If they can't reach their target to melee, they shoot a random Hero within LOS and range, prioritizing those heroes not already targeted.

Void Sorcerers, on the other hand, use the new Shootout rule. When they Ambush, select a random Hero and place them on that Hero's map tile as far away from that Hero as possible (which can lead to them being behind the Heroes and around a corner)! If one of them is adjacent to a Hero at the start of their activation, roll a d6. On a 4 or more the creature makes a free Move along the shortest distance to no longer be adjacent to a Hero. Otherwise it makes a Melee attack against a random adjacent Hero this turn.

When not adjacent, they target a random Hero and move the shortest distance to be within range and LOS while still not being adjacent to any Hero, prioritizing as always those Heroes who have not yet been targeted.

Didn't see or hear about any alternative arms, though there were two Artifact promo cards plus the additional promo of Caverns of Cynder Artifacts. One promo was a broken statue that gives you +1 Lore and lets you take one more corruption point before mutating. The other was a scroll of the Preacher Inferno sermon.

I asked about the Mission packs, since I wanted to use the Succubi one to introduce the Caverns of Cynder, and was told they would be sent in Wave 2 and would not be appearing in stores before Wave 2.

Finally, there is a new Adventure card called The Badlands. Heroes may choose to make any adventure that starts in the Mine Entrance take place in the Badlands. All enemies in the Mission then gain +2 Health and +1 damage per every three Dark Stone their target is carrying (max+3). Enemies select targets in order of most Dark Stone carried instead of random selection. Also, there are six special Badland encounter cards; whenever the Heroes need to draw an Encounter card, roll a die and on 1-3 they must also draw a Badlands Encounter card. Lastly, every time a Hero draws a Loot card he rolls a die: 1-2=+1 Dark Stone, 3=+2 Darkstone, 4-5=Draw 1 Gear card and 6=Draw an Artifact card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
FFP treats KS backers in a more and more ridiculous way.

1.) Non-backers can purchase items before us - the people who made this project possible!!!

2.) They developed items that were not part of the KS before the items we backed for. What the heck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have a chance, could you post pics of what you picked up for SoB? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Void Hounds!

Large models, Initiative 7, move 10, escape 4+, Melee 3+, Combat 6, Damage 1, Defense *, Health 5. Void Hounds ALWAYS start from ambush and each hero takes 3 horror hits on the turn they appear. A Void Hound's defense is equal to the current Initiative level in the turn order (so the Gunslinger, for example, is going to have a pretty tough time hurting Void Hounds). Void Hounds may move through other models. At the start of the Void Hound's activation after initial Ambush roll a d6. On a 1 or 2 all Void Hounds change targets; on a 6 all Void Hounds target a single random Hero.

This is awesome! Between that and the Burrower stats above, it looks like the "too easy" complaint will be a thing of the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
Thanks for the updates! This is all great news.

Now I gotta find a way to secure those promo cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
Sorry, Rekinom, but what is MSRP?

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

Like, $99.95 was the MSRP for the core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |