Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thought I would toss up a thread regarding my session reports. From now on, I'll post something here when I upload a new AAR.

Chart above is a fun one. Some interesting stats. The three I like the most:

1) If I love a game at the time of doing a session report, it gets the most thumbs. Sort of obvious, but, stats prove the point.

2) My thumbers are cult of the old dudes and dudettes. Check the correlations (especially CULT OF THE NEW ADJUSTED devil with Top Thumbs)

3) My cult of the new adjustment on game ratings seems to work fairly well (and simple) - at least in how I think the games should probably be rated. Formula is on the chart: Base year 2005...for EACH year published prior to that a game gets +0.04 (BGG rating) bump...for EACH year published after 2005, a shaving of -0.05...although I think a strong case could be made for a haircut as much as -0.1...there is MASSIVE grade inflation/CULT OF NEW throughout our kingdom.

Anyways, here is also the list of all the session reports I've posted:

1st MN/Sawatdee/Herr Dr Session Reports

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thumb for this statistic .Yes,i'm the one who is following your session reports.
I wish i did not read Carthage session report;can't find any copy for sale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

2017 may be your year: purchase the whole enchilada!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

..well i had thinking about Rise of Roman Republic also,but now i will wait 2017 so that i can have complete series.
Will mounted map be included in 2017 edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT is going to need a REALLY big detergent box for ENCHILADA if it has mounted maps. I'm hoping they go with miniatures...including a bust of Richard Berg...in a toga!...sort of a War of the Ring Collector's Edition treatment arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

I've had difficulty getting these to the table, mainly because the political rules scare me. I do admit, however, that this is totally my fault - I just need to get down to setting up and playing in order to learn them properly.

I do like the system, and I hope it does continue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The political rules are brilliant, unique and provide a real feel for the conflicts you read about (or listen to on the podcast History of Rome). Can't image playing a op/strategic game on Rome without something similar; it would ring hollow.

Just push thru them. JUMP IN to that VERY cold pool; it will get warmer. The political rules are not clear and you'll run into many unaddressed situations. But, so what?! Eventually, after a session or two or three, you'll get it - at least close enough to have a load of fun and gripping game.

Especially that first time you get your roman death star in position (after a year/years of work) and, then the idiots in the senate, decide to appoint a total chowderhead to lead the death star...and it is destroyed...so, time to raise new legions, right?...wrong. senate decides, now is not the right time...then they do, but, don't grant permission to leave Italy...repeat until you are so pissed that you hope a decent consul appears, gets a triumph and is appointed dictator so that you can string the politicians in Rome up along the Appian Way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
The political rules are brilliant, unique and provide a real feel for the conflicts you read about (or listen to on the podcast History of Rome). Can't image playing a op/strategic game on Rome without something similar; it would ring hollow.

Just push thru them. They're not clear and you'll run into many unaddressed situations. So what?! Eventually, after a session or two or three, you'll get it - at least close enough to have a load of fun and gripping game. Especially that first time you get your roman death star in position (after a year/years of work) and, then the idiots in the senate, decide to appoint a total chowderhead to lead the death star...and it is destroyed...so, time to raise new legions, right?...wrong. senate decides, now is not the right time...then they do, but, don't grant permission to leave Italy...

Okay, you've convinced me (not that it was that difficult!). Next on the table is RRR!

EDIT: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kitchens
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Carthage last year vertically on the metal board with counter clips. Played the learning scenerio then the full up game.

The policts are awesome, and are complex no doubt. I was Rome so yes Counsul to army assignments really mean more than anything else politically.

Unfortunatly half the group that was playing (2 out of 4 of us) soured on the game halfway through just when it was getting good and quit. This caused the Carthaginian player to quit and so im still left with this itch!

One complaint came from my Roman teamate who believed the game had too much unnessesary chrome. I agreed some of the rules were heavy on chrome for a minor effect on game play, but that does not make it bad. The other complaint came from the other carthaginian player (an Ancients expert) who felt that the 1st Punic War is supposed to be a naval war and thus far in our game we simply battled over Sicily with no major naval action to speak of. My point to him was that just because historically it was a naval war didnt' mean it had to be conducted that way (the beauty of historicaly based gaming anyone?) and also the second part of the game was likely to see some watery slug fest. I had my corvus ready.

I really appreciated this system and I would LOVE to see it continued in one form or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Some stats regarding the AARs to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever tried MultiDimensional Scaling on your data ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

=====

I should do a correlation with share (thumbs/# of owners) and skin flashed...

A Slug, Hessian Bosom and a Puzzlemaster: 1st MN Revisits Washington's Crossing

...come to think my Genesis AAR ( Some Bronze Age Friday Nite Hittite Fun: 1st MN Gives Berg's Genesis a Whirl: July 31, 2015 )

...got a lot of thumbs - and high share, since so new also and that had the Hittite hotie Bathsheba. Hmmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Leary
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

Just push thru them. JUMP IN to that VERY cold pool; it will get warmer. The political rules are not clear and you'll run into many unaddressed situations. But, so what?! Eventually, after a session or two or three, you'll get it - at least close enough to have a load of fun and gripping game.

Especially that first time you get your roman death star in position (after a year/years of work) and, then the idiots in the senate, decide to appoint a total chowderhead to lead the death star...and it is destroyed...so, time to raise new legions, right?...wrong. senate decides, now is not the right time...then they do, but, don't grant permission to leave Italy...repeat until you are so pissed that you hope a decent consul appears, gets a triumph and is appointed dictator so that you can string the politicians in Rome up along the Appian Way.

You sold me on picking up RRR... there's been a used copy floating around on Amazon for $69 over the past month, and I've been at a hem/haw over grabbing it. I'm an ops-level and uber-chrome kind of wargamer, and so this sounds like it should hit an ancients sweet spot for me.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'd love to read an AAR if you ever get Amateurs to Arms back on the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Have had a copy for years - not even sure if I've ever read the rules; it's been that long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Berg on a Stick: MN State Fair & Ancient World Series: 1st MN Tries Rise of the Roman Republic and yells "GIVE US THUNDERBOLT!": AUG 28, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Turn Back the Clock with a BIG DUMB MONSTER: 1st Mn Hits the Day of Days Beaches: SEP 4, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing in a GREAT Sandbox: 1st MN Grabs Their Pails & Shovels and Gives Triumph & Tragedy a Go: SEP 11, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More T&T AAR: Take Two: Family von Trapp and a Sea Lion: More T&T by 1st MN: SEP 18, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More T&T AAR: Take 3: Amphibious Italian Tankettes & Rampaging Death Stars: 1st MN Happily Returns (AGAIN!) to the T&T Sandbox: SEP 25, 2015 ...got to move on to another game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Battling Bastards, the 31st, 194th: 1st MN gives BATAAN! a toss...and concludes "HIGH CRAFT": Oct 9, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Get This Game, Will Robinson: 1st MN Gives VPG's Imperial Stars 2 a Go...and Digs It: Oct 16, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Rejoice! A Monster Passes Its Giggle Test: 1st MN Gives Balance of Powers a Toss...and Is Bitten: October 16, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

Great to see all this attention given to WWI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Clever Orders, A Cloak of Invisibility and A Place Called Suvalki: 1st MN Gives Strike of the Eagle a Go, OCT 23, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Halloween EiA Sawatdee AAR: The Lunatic Is in My Head: EiA Sawatdee Game III HALLOWEEN Session: October 31, 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.