Subject: Putting the "F" in FLGS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Who put old pigweed In the mulligan stew?
badge
Trusted Friend
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted here before about a bad experience at a local brick & mortar game store. I thought it would only be fair to report on the excellent experience my wife and I had this evening at a new FLGS. I do not know the owner or have anything to do with the store other than having purchased some games their earlier today. The Dragon's Lair is located in Pearl, MS. I had been told that there was a new FLGS in Pearl but hadn't made it over that way. My last two game orders have been rather large, meeting the minimum amount necessary for free shipping from online retailers. However, I've always wanted to have a local store that I could support. When my wife heard the name of the store, she imagined that the place would be lit by torches and glowing crystals. This turned out not to be the case at all. The store was clean, well lit, and well organized. It is a small space, but used intelligently. I didn't make it into the rear of the store, but I could hear a number of younger people playing games in that area. There were what appeared to be high school aged kids hanging out in the front of the store as well. I was there with my wife and 2 y/o son. We were welcomed as soon as we walked in the door and never felt out of place at all. The store had a strong CCG emphasis. However, I also found a great selection of boardgames and card games. I purchased Warrior Knights and Saboteur. The shop owner mentioned other games that I should eventually consider. I was impressed by his quick assessment of my gaming tastes and appropriate recommendations based on my purchase. In the few minutes that I spent at the counter, I found out that he holds regular boardgaming events in the store, listens to boardgaming podcasts - like myself, and is a member of BGG. I paid a little more for the games than I would have from an online retailer. I don't mind at all. I'm so glad to find a local guy trying to make a go at this thing and doing it the right way. He clearly knows about games and enjoys meeting other gamers. I plan to visit his shop often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
thats for sure, we have only one board game shop in canberra (capital of australia for those who didnt know). its quite a nice place but i dont feel at home there. not like a cd shop i used to goto called revolution cd, the owner there looks after me he couldnt sell some stock so when i walked in one day he goes here have these metal cds! thats the sort of business i like to look after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nice post.

fmi... what does the f in FLGS stand for?? friendly??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Trusted Friend
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right. The funny thing is that there was a long period of time when I had no idea what people were talking about when they mentioned their FLGS. I was too ashamed to ask. Eventually, I heard Eric Burgess, of the Boardgame Babylon podcast, discussing the plight of 'friendly local game stores'.

It reminds me of years ago when I played Ultima Online. I kept seeing other people running around saying "lol". I was new to the world of online chat at that time. I thought it must mean, "lots of luck". Whenever I would end a conversation with another player, no matter what the topic, I would sign off with "lol!" I'm sure people thought I was quite strange laughing out loud for no apparent reason. I still laugh when I remember my initial efforts to 'fit in' with an online community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is literally an LGS, Louisville Game Store and Colin, the owner, is very F as in Friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nice. A thread about a local store that isn't negative.

If I was inclined to use emoticons I'd put a bunch of them here as a means of covering up my lack of language skills... but this one is easy:

Thanks for the positive input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very positive report on your FLGS.

My FLGS is the Game Parlor in Chantilly, Virginia, and these guys deserve a pat on the back as well; they are always polite, pleasant, willing to order anything they can get their hands on, offer a loyalty discount, have a great playing area available at no cost, and offer a great selection from which to browse. Can I say enough good things about them? No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
otscotty wrote:
Yes, that's right. The funny thing is that there was a long period of time when I had no idea what people were talking about when they mentioned their FLGS. I was too ashamed to ask. Eventually, I heard Eric Burgess, of the Boardgame Babylon podcast, discussing the plight of 'friendly local game stores'.

Incidentally, it seems the "expansion" of "FLGS" has changed over time. It originally stood for "Full-Line Game Store". I think it's only because of constant use of the acronym around people who didn't know what it meant who fashioned their own best guess and legend created the definition we know today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Trusted Friend
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
otscotty wrote:

Incidentally, it seems the "expansion" of "FLGS" has changed over time. It originally stood for "Full-Line Game Store". I think it's only because of constant use of the acronym around people who didn't know what it meant who fashioned their own best guess and legend created the definition we know today.
Hey, great avatar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not fulfilling its embedded acronym potential. I say that F should stand for FUBARed from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Actually, FLGS comes from the fact that all original game stores were memorabilia stores converted into game stores when the hobby took off in the 70's. It's simply an "internet short" for Flags.

What, the internet didn't exist in the 70's? Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
What, the internet didn't exist in the 70's? Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?

Oh yes it did! Al Gore invented it back then, remember?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotty, nice post!

You may also want to post this over in...

Game Groups » United States » Southeast

...so MS gamers see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Trusted Friend
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Sinister. Will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much as I like to read the game store horror stories, it's even better to read about stores that are well-run, well-organized, well-lit and have friendly, knowledgeable staff.

My own FLGS is mostly a comic book store, but it's always stocked RPGs and board games. Worlds Collide in Oshawa used to stock more RPGs than board games, but as board games have become more popular, the store has reduced its RPG stock significantly and increased its board game stock. In fact, it even did renovations so it could have a proper area for gaming (shelves full of various games, as well as tables and chairs to use for playing).

Best of all, the staff love to chat about comics, games, movies and whatnot. It's run based on the clubhouse mentality, in that people are free to show up, hang out and just have fun. Eventually, people are bound to buy something. It works like a charm. I love going in there, and I tend to buy a lot from the store.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
I thought FLGS would stand for Foreign Language Games Store

That would be cool. Tio estus mojosa. To byłoby fajne. ni li pona.

BTW I guess "Dragon's Lair" is a common name for game stores, as there's a Dragon's Lair in Austin TX too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
My FLGS is literally an LGS, Louisville Game Store and Colin, the owner, is very F as in Friendly.

I'd meant to ask for the longest time, but where in Louisville is the LGS? My wife's family is from Louisville, and when we go down to visit, it'll give me a place to check out outside of the Something To Do stores in Oxmoor (or is it St. Matthews?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Louisville Game Store is in a converted older home on Baxter Avenue right next to Molly Malone's Irish Pub. (Try the poached salmon.) Colin is the owner. You may park behind Molly's if you are going to LGS despite the Molly's Customers Only signs. There is some kind connection. The LGS is closed on Wednesdays.

Something To Do is in Oxmoor Mall. I don't get the same good vibe there in the mall environment.

There are two stores in Lexington, KY about 75 miles away, The Rusty Scabbard and Albricht's. I hear the latter deal primarily or exclusively in historical miniatures but I haven't been to either store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
The Louisville Game Store is in a converted older home on Baxter Avenue right next to Molly Malone's Irish Pub. (Try the poached salmon.) Colin is the owner. You may park behind Molly's if you are going to LGS despite the Molly's Customers Only signs. There is some kind connection. The LGS is closed on Wednesdays.

Okay, right near Bardstown. I think I could find my way there from the Hikes Lane area.

Quote:
Something To Do is in Oxmoor Mall. I don't get the same good vibe there in the mall environment.

There are two stores in Lexington, KY about 75 miles away, The Rusty Scabbard and Albricht's. I hear the latter deal primarily or exclusively in historical miniatures but I haven't been to either store.

Yeah, it's been years since I've been to Something To Do; I remember happening upon a stash of old Generals there about 12-13 years ago.

Since Lexington is about hour away (I live in Cincy), I might go check The Rusty Scabbard out sometime. Probably if we go see the Kentucky Horse Park first, knowing my eldest's obsession with horses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Trusted Friend
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently noticed that Fantasy Flight is sponsoring Operation Early Bird at a few stores across the country for a pre-release look at Tide of Iron.

(http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron_earlybird.html)

I certainly didn't expect to find one of these events being held in Mississippi. Wasn't I plesantly surprised to see that one will be held a few miles from my home. Yet another sign that the guys at The Dragon's Lair are doing things right in Pearl, MS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls