Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As a three player game, this doesn't see the table as often as I'd like. As I like the components so much, and wanted an excuse to spread them across the dining room table more often, I wrote a simple solitaire version of the game.

Full disclosure: it's more of a Lovecraftian Panademic than Cthulhu Wars proper, but I hope that it captures enough the "global mythos war" feeling of the proper game.

It is available to download here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120655/cthulhu-wars-s...

Edit: updated thread name to avoid confusion with an existing fan homebrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Solo Play Rules - The Stars Are Right!
Not to be confused with Cthulhu Wars: The Stars are Right (hex-map variant) or Cthulhu Wars: Singularity (1p variant) that uses Pandemic mechanics, although in the case of this variant it seems to actually place the players in the role of the humans (instead of destroying them) and doesn't rely on any external decks, much more convenient. It seems almost like a blending of Eldritch Horror and Cthulhu Wars together. Looks pretty good, I'll have to sit it down for a session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh, I hadn't seen your "Singularity" rules. I shall have a play!

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paddirn wrote:

Yes.... I hadn't seen that EITHER, I think I better rename mine! :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wright
msg tools
Very interesting. I like the rules. I just have two questions. I see that you said that you need a miniature for the pilot. I read over the rules a few time trying to see when the mini for the pilot would come into play. Am I missing something? Second, when the monsters fight each other it states:

"Roll 2D6 for each monster:
they eliminate a rival minion on a 4+ and a rival monster on a 4+. "

Is it supposed to be a 5+ like when the investigators fight a monster?

Love the rules and looking forward to test playing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my CW minis aren't being used for CW they're being used as enemies in my homebrew Gears of War "Marcus and Dom vs the Mythos" solo campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting quite well done BUT
BUT it is a complete redesigning of the game with his materials. it's a mix between Eldritch horror and Pandemic but it has nothing to do with Cthulhu Wars Solo game as you don't play a CW faction and don't use any mechanism from that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
Interesting quite well done BUT
BUT it is a complete redesigning of the game with his materials. it's a mix between Eldritch horror and Pandemic but it has nothing to do with Cthulhu Wars Solo game as you don't play a CW faction and don't use any mechanism from that game.

Are you in a 'say what the OP said while trying to sound like you're making a new point' contest? Because if so you are winning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
crikeymiles wrote:
Oooh, I hadn't seen your "Singularity" rules. I shall have a play!

Cheers

It tries to leave in as much of the original Cthulhu Wars mechanics and kinda-sorta carries over the "exterminating an infectious plague" theme, although in this case humanity is considered to be the plague that needs exterminating. Part of the timer built into the variant is created by collecting Doom points, since the game ends after you collect 30 Doom points as normal. This acts as a brake on player expansion since the more Doom points you collect via Gates, the faster the game goes and the more likely you are to run out of time. I think the last thing I remember needing to do with it was redesign all the faction powers (or at least the ones that require multiple players), but I probably dropped work on the idea after lack of interest/feedback. It's funny to play the game with meeples though, knowing that you're trying to kill off as many as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
JonJesus18 wrote:
Very interesting. I like the rules. I just have two questions. I see that you said that you need a miniature for the pilot. I read over the rules a few time trying to see when the mini for the pilot would come into play. Am I missing something?

I woke up this morning and realised the pilot's rule had been lost in a recent edit! The Pilot doesn't get a bonus dice to either Investigation or Attacking, but he may move to any territory as a single move, (although may also never enter ocean territories).

JonJesus18 wrote:
Second, when the monsters fight each other it states:

You are quite right!

I have corrected both these mistakes and re-uploaded, so hopefully the update should be available soon.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paddirn wrote:
It's funny to play the game with meeples though, knowing that you're trying to kill off as many as possible.

Ha! Now THIS I like the sound of!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wright
msg tools
crikeymiles wrote:
JonJesus18 wrote:
Very interesting. I like the rules. I just have two questions. I see that you said that you need a miniature for the pilot. I read over the rules a few time trying to see when the mini for the pilot would come into play. Am I missing something?

I woke up this morning and realised the pilot's rule had been lost in a recent edit! The Pilot doesn't get a bonus dice to either Investigation or Attacking, but he may move to any territory as a single move, (although may also never enter ocean territories).

JonJesus18 wrote:
Second, when the monsters fight each other it states:

You are quite right!

I have corrected both these mistakes and re-uploaded, so hopefully the update should be available soon.

Thanks!

Awesome! I did two play throughs last night. I really enjoyed it. The first one I ended up dying before I even got rid of two factions (I'm going to blame it on very poor dice rolling). I also was only using the professor and tomb raider, so I was down an investigator from the beginning. Then second, was much smoother. I made it to Hastur being summoned and got one spell book down for the ritual. Then, Hastur killed professor and the tomb raider was mobbed by 5 undead.

After the play through I just have one more question. When doing the ritual, dose one investor have to have all 4 spell books or can they be split? Ex: professor has red and blue while tomb raider has green and yellow.

Overall the game ran pretty smoothly. Another reason I like it is because I can get my girlfriend to play. She likes the idea of it being co-op (I just let her control tomb raider lol) . It's a good way to ease her into more complex games.
Great job man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thanks Jon! Glad you enjoyed it!

JonJesus18 wrote:
After the play through I just have one more question. When doing the ritual, dose one investor have to have all 4 spell books or can they be split? Ex: professor has red and blue while tomb raider has green and yellow.

I play it that you, the player, have the stash of spellbooks, and so the books are available to any of the three investigators at any point. So any of the investigators can get help with the ritual if they are there.

Did you play it so that each investigator had their own rucksack full of books? This is a more hardcore way of playing it... I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wright
msg tools
crikeymiles wrote:

Did you play it so that each investigator had their own rucksack full of books? This is a more hardcore way of playing it... I like it!

I indeed did. It was tough. Probably why Hastur ended up destroying us but still very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Connolly
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sub-variant
I was rooting around for Investigator figs and came across Batman and Superman instead...

World's Finest!

[a sub-variant of Crikeymiles' Pandemonium!]

Our Heroes begin in North America East:

Superman:
Attack: 3d6
Investigate: 1d6
Supersonic Flight: Can move to any area as a single move, including ocean areas.

Batman:
Attack: 1d6
Investigate: 3d6
Ninja Millionaire: Can move up to 2 areas; must end on land. May take his Action between moves.

Mechanic Modifications:

Investigate:
3+ to Capture a Cultist.
Each Cultist captured earns a Spellbook.
6 to “Kill” the King in Yellow.*
Heroes can only Investigate in the area they are in (i.e. not in adjacent ocean areas.)

Attack:
6 to Kill a Dark Young.*
Heroes can only Attack in the area they are in (i.e. not in adjacent ocean areas.)
Great Old Ones can Attack adjacent areas and have unique abilities.*

Superpowers/Utility Belt:
Spellbooks neutralize Cultists in addition to Minions and Monsters, but the cost has changed.
To do so, you must spend 2 Spells of the same color as the unit, or 3 Spells of each other color.
Cultists neutralized in this way do not provide a Spellbook.

Deus ex Machina:
Instead of Plane Tickets, the Heroes get to ignore Kill results up to 5 times.
Each time this rule is used, take an Elder Sign from the cup and keep it with your Spells like a scar.
Even as your Heroes survive, the End draws nearer!

Faction Definitions:

Great Cthulhu
:
[6] Cultists
[4] Minions (Deep Ones)
[4] Monsters (Shoggoths, Starspawn)

Crawling Chaos:
[6] Cultists
[6] Minions (Polyps, Nightgaunts)
[2] Monsters (Horrors)

Black Goat:
[6] Cultists
[2] Minions (Ghouls)
[4] Monsters (Fungi)

Yellow Sign:
[6] Cultists
[6] Minions (Undead)
[4] Monsters (Byakhee)

*Great Old One abilities:

Cthulhu:
Automatically Kill a Hero in range before rolling Attack.

Nyarlathotep:
Whenever it rolls a 6 on an Attack, return a prepared Spellbook to the bag.

Shub-Niggurath:
In the Gather Power phase, summon a Dark Young to the Faction icon.
An Attack roll of 6 will Kill a Dark Young.
They have a 2d6 Attack and move as Minions and Monsters do.

Hastur:
In the Gather Power phase, if the King in Yellow is not banished, move/summon him to a random area.
An Investigation roll of 6 will remove him from the board.
The King in Yellow has no rolls and does not move when other units do.
If the King in Yellow is on the board and the Heroes banish Hastur, banish the King in Yellow instead.
(Remove the King in Yellow from the game and return the 4 Spellbooks to the bag. Does not count as a win condition.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DCLXVI wrote:
I was rooting around for Investigator figs and came across Batman and Superman instead...

I <3 this.

Have you played it yet? It's looks HARD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Connolly
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The kid and I are going to test it out Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DCLXVI wrote:

The kid and I are going to test it out Saturday.

Apparently it went rather badly as neither has been heard from since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Haha. Dangerous stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.