Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday, November 18 is the date for the second Wargamers' Meet & Greet at BGG Con (exact room TBD, but it will be down the wargaming hallway). I hope this year is as successful as last year, when 50 gamers showed up on Wednesday night.

EDIT: The Meet & Greet is scheduled at 9 pm on Wednesday, 18 November in the Cattle Barons room.

I'm setting up this forum to stimulate and capture discussion for the Meet & Greet. Feel free to add any new ideas for what should happen at the Meet & Greet or in the wargaming areas in general during the con.

Here are some of the ideas that were discussed last year and where I think they are going:

First, printing out the Meetup & Mule geeklist. I'm taking the action to collect and print out the information on the Meetup & Mule geeklist as it is released and gets filled. I plan to list the title, time and location for all the games on the Geeklist. As mentioned on another thread, I also plan to indicate if the game is 'question-friendly' (more on that later). I'm hoping to have enough copies for the Meet & Greet attendees plus I'll post a few copies around the area.

Second, scheduling 'question-friendly' games. Last year, we discussed that, sometimes for more difficult games (examples included ASL and Fire in the Lake), a player might not want to commit to learning and playing a specific game, but would like to watch it played and maybe ask questions as it progresses. I've set up a geeklist for this type of game. The list will include games that people would like to have played (so they can watch and learn) as well as games in which the players are willing to allow (even encourage) questions. (Common sense should apply. Don't ask an unending series of questions, disrupting the actual playing of the game.) I plan to ask the organizers of the games on the Meetup & Mule geeklist if their session will fit in this category. And I will add any games that fit in this category to my printout.

Third, scheduling teaching sessions for wargames. During last year's Meet & Greet, we discussed setting up teaching sessions for "beginner" wargames like Memoir or Command & Colors. So I've set up a separate geeklist for teaching games. But there's no reason to limit the complexity of the games. If someone wants to learn the OCS series and someone is willing to teach, so much the better. (I'm thinking of past Napoleon's Triumph teaching sessions here.) If you want to learn a specific game or if you want to teach a specific game, add it to the list.

I realize the most challenging part of this idea is getting volunteers who are also good game teachers. If you think that is you, I encourage you to get on this list.

Last, a Twilight Struggle tournament. It was discussed last year. Some gamers said they didn't want to play a game more than once during the con. Others said they'd like some sort of tournament. If I set it up, I would just make it a simple single-elimination tournament. Even if we got 16 players (probably a high estimate IMO), it would only be four rounds. What do you think?

So, to summarize:

The Meetup & Mule geeklist will be printed and available (my job).

EDIT - The Meetup and Mule geeklist is now up. Here is a link: BGG Con 2015 Wargame Meetup & Mule geeklist

'Question-fiendly' games - the geeklist to show the 'question-friendly' games you're playing or would like to see played is here: 'Question-friendly' games

Teaching sessions - the geeklist for the teaching session games you will teach or you want taught is here: Wargame teaching sessions

Twilight Struggle tournament - complete the poll if you'd be interested in a Twilight Struggle tournament. This is NOT a commitment. It's just an indication of your current mood so I can see if there's enough interest in trying to set up such a tournament.

Anything else you want to discuss, list it here. Everything is fair game. And we've only got three months to prepare.

A quick disclaimer - I'm supporting Team Geek this year, so I won't know my exact schedule for a while.

Game on!!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Are you currently interested in participating in a single-elimination tournament of Twilight Struggle during BGG Con 2015?
Yes
No
      43 answers
Poll created by GS in KS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I've only recently been dipping my toe in the waters of wargaming, but I'd like to participate in the meet and greet.

I mostly prefer multiplayer "wargames"...would be interested in playing something like HIS, Virgin Queen, Genesis, and/or Churchill at the con. I don't necessarily need "teaching sessions" for the games I'm interested in, but "newb-friendly" would be nice! (though I realize that one often doubles as the other)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
I am going to try and make it this year. Last year the admin dinner was at the same time. Maybe not this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurray! I missed it last year, but hope to make it this time.

Thanks, Greg, for setting this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good time last year and I'll definitely try to stop by this year. Thanks for organizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be able to make this, so I'm curious what else happens here. Hanging out? Setting up games not on the Geeklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
Really wanted to make this again, but the admin dinner is Wednesday too. Free food not at the hotel is too hard turn down. And good friends there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Really wanted to make this again, but the admin dinner is Wednesday too. Free food not at the hotel is too hard turn down. And good friends there too.

What Scott said, dagnabit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
I should be able to make this, so I'm curious what else happens here. Hanging out? Setting up games not on the Geeklist?

Well, this may not be entirely objective (since I was one of the organizers), but I saw and heard:

Discussion of the items that were already on the geeklist, but some people didn't have the latest info.

I know games of Manoeuvre and Fire in the Lake (at least) were set up during the meeting

Discussion of the four items in the header

General discussion of the wargamers' location ("Too isolated", "Not isolated enough")

Plus a lot of discussion of mutual likes. " I like that game too. Let's try and play during the con."

It was 15 minutes of things I wanted to say and 30 minutes of people talking (in large groups and small) on the games they want to play.

At least, that's what I observed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus buttons and door prizes!

I would like to see a wargame focused flea mart and math trade this year....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
I know this is a bit selfish, but any thoughts of pushing this to 8:30 or 9:00 PM so Roger and I could possibly attend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I know this is a bit selfish, but any thoughts of pushing this to 8:30 or 9:00 PM so Roger and I could possibly attend?

I'm flexible. The official schedule has not been publicized yet. I say we make the change.

What do y'all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. I'm sure other people will have dinner plans too and can attend if it's a bit later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
If I recall, we were certainly back by 9. Roger, what do you recall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Sounds like later=more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
And I bet I will bring microbadge coupons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
If I recall, we were certainly back by 9. Roger, what do you recall?

Yup. I think we were even a little earlier. We got there literally as the last few folks were walking out.

Quote:
And I bet I will bring microbadge coupons.

Likewise! Not that geekgold is as exciting as Greg's buttons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan right now is to wait through the weekend to see if there are any dissenting votes. If not, I'll contact Jeff (CaptainQwyx) and request the schedule change.

It's all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bloom
United States
Haughton
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to attend, I'm excited about getting a chance to try a new wargamer friendly game, and I like the later meeting option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan R
United States
San Antonio
TX - Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Curmudgeon in training
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed last year. Looking forward to attending this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
A River Runs wrote:
I missed last year. Looking forward to attending this time.

I'll be joining in with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
So did we move the time officially, Greg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent the reschedule request geekmail off to Jeff this morning. Waiting for his formal response, but it seems likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.