$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
295 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone seen this custom co-op campaign, Heroes of the Aturi Cluster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] DIY [+] projects [+] [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stumbled across this: http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

In addition to just looking very polished for a 'beta', was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play it yet? A co-op for X-Wing sounds fascinating, and not sure how well it would play. I'll be downloading and trying, though not sure when (RL has be quite busy atm)...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Sausville
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting I will definitely be giving it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but being a mostly solo player and seeing "AI controlled Empire," I think I might be giving it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heupgen
Germany
Pulheim
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The components look amazing and it is still in beta phase.

Never heard about that awesome site. There are some very useful articles regarding X-Wing and Star Wars in general.

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very well done. I'll definitely have to check it out too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The person who made this has been play testing it for quite some time and is a very talented graphic designer so beta is perhaps a bit modest on his part. I have yet to have a chance to play it due to that real life thing interfering again but anyone I've spoken to has had nothing but praise for it. It looks gorgeous and the ai mechanic looks quite clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been VERY EXTENSIVELY Alpha testing/refining/developing over the last 10 months or so with a very wide swathe of players. It is finally at a point where Josh is willing to show it to the world. True all games up to this point have involved him, so it hasn't gone through Beta testing yet, but I would say the Beta tag is pretty much cosmetic and any differences from this and the final version will be minimal. It is more a credit to Josh 's immense modesty that he is open and willing to accept feedback, suggestions and criticism with an open mind. This is a masterpiece filling the void in the game that I didn't even realise existed. I introduced it to my game group this week and they are bananas for it after just the intro mission.

Confidently download, print, enjoy. Most game changing breakthrough in the game since the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking today how I've play tested several games for large companies with nowhere near as much play testing before it ended up on the shelves. Ffg should really give him a contract to do this and an imperial version(and scum as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just nuts. The thought behind everything and the production quality on this is nothing short of breathtaking.

Now I won't have to chase down and beg people (like my poor wife) to play X-Wing like some desperate weirdo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks amazing!!! I need to test this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
SP937215 wrote:

I am particularly interested to see if the Imperial Forces AI can be extended to play solo outside of this campaign.

It absolutely can - most of the AI playtesting was actually done independently of the missions.

You can try playing a standard 100pt list against the AI, using the game's regular squad-point values to build them a list and see how you do.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone printed this out yet? It looks like a lot of ink, but I really want to try it. I've never done print and play. How do you usually print things like this? Do it at home? Take it to Office Depot? Other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
armoredgear7 wrote:
SP937215 wrote:

I am particularly interested to see if the Imperial Forces AI can be extended to play solo outside of this campaign.

It absolutely can - most of the AI playtesting was actually done independently of the missions.

You can try playing a standard 100pt list against the AI, using the game's regular squad-point values to build them a list and see how you do.

Josh, this is pretty amazing.

This may be a hard question to answer right now on the verge of your beta launch, but how solid is v0.6?

It's going to take a lot of ink and some effort to get this printed, mounted, etc. Just trying to get a sense of whether I can do this now or if I should wait for the dust to settle and for the project to come out of beta.

Thanks and great job on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:

This may be a hard question to answer right now on the verge of your beta launch, but how solid is v0.6?

It's going to take a lot of ink and some effort to get this printed, mounted, etc. Just trying to get a sense of whether I can do this now or if I should wait for the dust to settle and for the project to come out of beta.

It's pretty solid.

There are only a couple places I expect to make tweaks, and even then they're mostly in the campaign book:

• Typos. Many have been caught and fixed prior to v0.6

• Mission balance, and likely only on a couple of the Part III missions if I do, because those are the toughest. Some missions may get a second Elite enemy ship in the 5p or 6p columns.

• Rules clarifications for mission special rules if there are unclear parts of the book. Extensive testing and feedback has smoothed out most of this, and individual missions tend not to be that complex. This might be addressed by an online FAQ on dockingbay416.com anyway.

• Imperial Pilot Deck may see wording tweaks or ability swaps if some of the Elite enemies are deemed underwhelming.

• Add a keyword index to the back cover.

• Updates from now on will have a public changelog file.

• Any expansion content will almost certainly be a separate book, or will be both a separate book and added to a deluxe core book for people that didn't print it before.

This means that the majority of the components will probably be completely unaffected by future updates: Mission Deck, AI Statcards, Terrain tiles, Player statcards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh,
For those of us locals did you get this printed somewhere or do it yourself?
I don't think my printer is to the task anyways but if you have any recommendations on print shops and the weight of card stock you used it would be greatly appreciated. I've have had mixed results with staples/business depot in the past for simpler projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to check this out!

It is too printing intensive for me though, so I will likely just keep a tablet nearby for most of it, and print out any terrain or anything in black and white on paper to try things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SP937215 wrote:

To Josh and Team ... perhaps in the future it might be useful to consider producing a sister booklet that is less "print intensive" so people have a lower cost way to print at home. Things such as a white page background instead of coloured graphics would be a big help. It is a balance between eye candy and practical printing.

Outstanding job on the Campaign overall. Thank you for producing it.

You're welcome.

To be honest, a sister "budget printer" version of the book is unlikely to happen. The sheer number of resources that need alternate versions, combined with the fact that implementing any changes becomes double the work, is not worth the benefit when so many people will either get it done at a print shop or display it on a laptop/tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ducimus wrote:
Hey Josh,
For those of us locals did you get this printed somewhere or do it yourself?
I don't think my printer is to the task anyways but if you have any recommendations on print shops and the weight of card stock you used it would be greatly appreciated. I've have had mixed results with staples/business depot in the past for simpler projects.

My favorite printing chain in the GTA is TPH, in part because they carry a beautiful 100lb cardstock in house and they will do 12x18" sheets of all their stock.

I actually need to print and assemble my own v0.6 copy (aside from all the terrain which I already have mounted to matboard), so I will be making some more specific printer files in these bigger sizes.

I may also be able to work with TPH to create a kind of "print on demand" kit; more on that if it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Josh. Let us know if you get anything set up with Tph. Everything looks great. Again nice work and thanks for doing this for the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stahl
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this together for a friend of mine over the last couple of days. Here is the result. Looks pretty fun, can't wait to give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What'd you use for the backs, foam board? chip board?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to mount my stuff on mat board. Will take pics once that's done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how many players this campaign is? can you play it with just 1 or 2 people?

Does it scale properly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis Goldmanis
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmb
At first, I thought this is some kinda AI stomping variant. (Like Legend of Drizzt).

Printed out stuff, started to glue it on cardboard, glanced over one of the "Elites" abilities.

TIE-Interceptor
PS 10
Autothrusters
Stealth Device
Expert Handling
After you perform an attack, receive focus token
When defending, attacker must reroll 1 critical or hit result
When defending, ships attacking you cannot spend focus or reroll dice.

How do you kill this stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.