Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ten Intelligence Cards, #31 - #40, include
2 Spy Rings: Blindly take one card from a Rival's Hand.
2 Code Breaking: Inspect a Rival's Hand.
2 Agent: Inspect a Rival's blocks in any one area.
1 Sabotage: Reduce a Rival's Industry by one.
1 Coup: Remove all Rival Influence from one Minor nation.
1 Double Agent. Reverse the effects of an Intel card played on you back on the Rival that played it. [Immediate reaction].
1 Mole: Inspect a Rival's Secret Vault. Pair this card with any Tech in your Hand that matches a Tech found there to achieve that tech (show Rival. (If not, discard).

There are five Science cards, each with six Techs:
2 Science 1938;
1 Science 1940;
1 Science 1942;
1 Science 1944.

Thirty-five Tech cards each list two Techs.

Five Tech cards include "Industrial Espionage" and one Tech.

Not counting the Science cards, the thirty-five double-Tech cards and the five single Tech/Industrial Espionage cards combined ((35 x 2) +5) name seventy-five Techs.

The Techs are listed here in order of least frequently appearing to most frequently appearing. (*Asterisked cards are painful to sacrifice "Factory 4" cards.)

Three Atomic Research Step 4:
Cards 17*, 55*, Science 1944.

Four Atomic Research Step 3:
Cards 16*, 53, Science 1942, Science 1944.

Four Atomic Research Step 2:
Cards 22, 27, 46, Science 1940.

Five Jets:
Cards 13*, 15, 43, 55*, Science 1944.

Six Atomic Research Step 1:
Cards 18, 23, 28, 42, Science 1938, Science 1938.

Seven Rocket Artillery:
Cards 2, 6, 9, 25, 48, Science 1940 and Science 1942.

Eight LSTs:
Cards 11, 12, 16*, 30, 51, 54, Science 1942, Science 1944.

Eight Heavy Bomber:
Cards 12, 13*, 17*, 29, 52, 54, Science 1940, Science 1944.

Eight Motorized Infantry:
Cards 11, 15, 27, 30, 51, 53, Science 1938, Science 1938.

Nine Heavy Tanks:
Cards 1, 2, 10, 43, 48, 49, Science 1938, Science 1938, Science 1942.

Ten Precision Bombsight:
Cards 18, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 44, Science 1940, Science 1942, Science 1944.

Ten Air Defense Radar:
Cards 1, 4, 6, 7, 21, 41, 46, Science 1938, Science 1938, Science 1942.

Ten Naval Radar:
Cards 6, 8, 10, 41, 45, 47, 50, Science 1938, Science 1938, Science 1940.

Twelve Sonar:
Cards 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 42, 45, 47, 50, Science 1938, Science 1938, Science 1940.

Sonar is the most common Tech in the deck. It's of little use to Fascism and USSR.

VARIANT: Fascism and USSR treat Sonar as "Advanced U-Boats" which reduces the Submarine Firepower of enemy Fleets by 1, the opposite of Sonar, which increases the Submarine Firepower of enemy Fleets by 1. Both Sonar and Advanced U-Boats may be acquired twice, but the maximum change to the Firepower of Fleets which results is +1/-1. E.g., there's no advantage in acquiring Advanced U-Boats twice if the enemy has not obtained Sonar, and no advantage in acquiring Sonar twice if the enemy has not obtained Advanced U-Boats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is extremely interesting dn opens up a fertile field for analysis....and debate......and operational decisions

(just, for example, whether to 'hold' an Atomic 4 if you get one in early rounds....it would tie up valuable hand space for along time...but...letting go of it when there are only 3 chances to get it again seems like it could be painful.......and, perhaps, i is worth holding one of them, just to lower the odds that another player gets one first?

or, another...if I am planning a military future and am wanting both heavy tanks and jets.......should I decide which to play for first on basis of which is most likely to show up in deck?

As I said....room for pleasant debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all so uncertain without looking at the effect of the espionage cards and also running some hypergeometic binomials.

I'm skeptical of the value of crowding my hand with cards unusable for years. I guess if you get Atomic Research 1 in 1936 or 1937, then go for the A-Bomb, otherwise not.

Common Techs such as Sonar and the Radars look like safe holds as they're likely to appear in your next hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Atomic is the only strong candidate for LONG-termhold; however others might be worth a hold for turn or two in right circumstances.

Those circumstances are admirably divergent among factions....with West needing sonar more, Axis needing rocket artillery more, and USSR needing Radar more ....at first guess.

Of course, no one ever really makes a decision to hold for long term; one just makes a series of decisions to hold or not hold for next turn. If one holds a sonar for one turn , expecting its air to arrive and does not get the pair....then deciding to hold it for one more turn is a 'new' decision, not just an extension old one.

(the opening scene of Tome Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstein" is a bit like that..... though not entirely so, since they did not retire potentials each round, whereas the T&T player does know that some non-solar cards (the ones they DID draw) are no longer in the pile of potentials).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.