Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No money no flag -
that can be a tough situation! What can we do about it? Well, two different ideas came up to mind:

1. take the melody of Bob Marleys "No woman no cry" and sing out loud : "No money no flag, dadadadada, no money no flag..."

2. If singing won't help to feel better, try this variant:
If a player has no flag, he may, each time the investor-card is triggered, either
a) just as usual invest in a nation of his choice, or
b) take 1 million cash from the bank.

This house rule may ease things a bit, especially for newbies in the early stages of the game. It would be an additional choice for the player with no government. Anyway, later on it is usually preferable to invest, rather than to collect this lousy 1 million...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
We tried this variant last night and it works very well. This was a 6-player game with the standard setup and invester card. One player lost control of his country before his first move, and then started collecting $1M each invester phase. After a few rounds this gave him enough cash to skip taking $1M and buy a bond when he chose, not just when he owned the invester card. He liked this flexibility so much that he carefully chose to not take control of any country the entire game. He mis-timed one purchase and ended up in 3rd place, 8 points behind the winner. If he had timed the purchase better he would have won the game, without controlling a country for even a single move!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is helpful to punish poor play, because skipping the investor-field, although there is enough money in the treasury to pay interests, is mostly not a good choice! Remember: We are all ruthless investors, milking the nations where we can!

Moreover, this variant offers an additional choice to players not owning a flag, it is more food for thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a session of Imperial, where we tried - for the first time - to play without the investor card, and we also used this variant, in order to circumvent the situation that anyone should wind up without a flag, and not being able to purchase bonds to get one.

We did however feel that this variant is too powerful for the non-flag player. That gave the non-flag player six million per round. So after two rounds, he/she could invest twelve millions anywhere he/she liked. Thats a rather big amount of money for just two rounds. At least if you compare it to the average payout from the various countries landing on Investor, and that the non-flag player still would get payout there too, AND that the investor field usually - on average - is only landed on once every three-four turns.

I'd rather look into a variant, where the flagless player gets a set amount of money, every time the turn comes to the country he was last in control of. So if I've lost Russia, and that was the last flag I was in possesion of, from then on, every time Russia is up, I will get... say three million. Maybe only two million? And I will get this money as soon as the Russia player is up, so I will at least have a little money to re-invest in my "own" country, once Russias action has been finished.

This would keep a small income for flagless players. An income that isn't as heavy as the above mentioned variant. But still something.

Personally I feel that the income should be big enough to help, but not so big, that it can be advantageous to be without a flag. At least not that advantageous. With the above mentioned variant, being flagless in the earlier stages of the game, just screams for a nerf. Or at least that is how I see it. You could then argue, that players would need to take this into account, and then shouldn't buy bonds, that would leave another player flagless, but that would in turn potentially let that player stay in control of that country with a small investment. So I'd rather see a solution to the flagless player issue, and I hope this suggestion will help. I will try this variant next time Imperial hits the table, and put some further comments on it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stony wrote:
We did however feel that this variant is too powerful for the non-flag player. That gave the non-flag player six million per round.

Mac's designer variant is that you get the 1m when the investor is triggered and you don't have a country and choose not to invest in a bond. If you played without the investor card and let a person without a country collect 1m at the end of each country's action round when everyone can invest, the variant would be horribly unbalanced.

To use this variant without the investor card, collect the 1m only when someone lands on or passes the investor space rather than after each round for each country. But since the 2m investor bonus is out of play without the card, the 1m option is probably still slightly unbalanced. I'd add in that you only collect the 1m when you are unable to purchase a bond, not just because you choose not to purchase. This gives a player who is bond and money poor with no country a chance to get back into the mix without giving away free money to players who choose to sit without running a country but holding nice cash reserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes more sense. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perucca
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Just to clarify. With this varient, does the player without a flag get to collect the $1M if he DOES have money, but chooses not to invest?

I think I'd limit it to collecting the $1M if:

- the player has NO money, or
- the player doesn't have enough money to buy any available bonds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny this was never answered but it doesn't matter if he has money or not to collect the 1 million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.