Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But hey, you know, any publicity is good publicity, as they say.

These folks poked some serious fun at BGWS and our hobby...

http://www.current.tv/google/GC02295

but I still found it funny.

(all except for the first entry in the "Here's some games Scott likes to play" part...that just hurt.)

It's all about raising awareness, and if a lampooning is what it takes, well, I'll take it.

Scott

p.s. It's still pretty weird to be seeing me up in mainstream(ish) media outlets like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you have a personality when you vlog. You're fun to watch.

Those two guys put together didn't have the personality of a stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to believe that video zombie has the gonads to make fun of anyone else.
His monotone is deliciously soporific.
It would have been funnier if the guy had a personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if the irony of his fun-making is lost on a guy who looks like a zombie and has a delivery style to match! zombie

[edit]
Dang simultaneous submission! So I'm not the only one to make the zombie connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making the mainstream. More importantly, thanks for taking one for the team in an effort to expand the audience of our hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanisms part was funny.

Coincidentally, that was one of my favorite episodes. 2nd to the Die Macher rundown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IT WAS A SIMPLE LAMPOON! [/Peep Show]

He was quite depressing to watch. Whereas Scott is good to watch whether for interesting/amusing/ironic purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty neat.

Also bear in mind that you're being picked on by a guy who has sort of a serial-killer look to him and who (according to the intro to his segment) goes on the Internet to inform people about how he ate a microwave pizza and cooked in his kitchen. If that's not geekier than an interest in board games, it's at least incredibly mundane and boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that was a strange vlog as well. Is that guy supposed to be like that? I mean, is he for real like that or is it part of his character (although I don't see which character that might be)? Jokes on boardgames aside, that Google Current was just lame.

I liked
Quote:
"Email please! I need that guy at my next party."
a lot better.

BTW Scott, I recently bought Indonesia based on your episode. Thanks for the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
It shouldn't come as a shock that the world outside find it easy to ridicule board gaming as an activity. My wife is exceptionally good at it. Its nothing personal Scott, the majority of the planet think we are sad excuses of humanity and until Britany Spears is caught by the paps naked with a copy of Puerto Rico, that is our lot.

However we must reconcile ourselves that Mr Vlogger will go blind very soon by the look of it and never be able to lift anything of significant weight with his left arm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Scott. I wonder how that guy got his own show? You-Tubers who film themselves sleeping have more personality. But it was fun none-the-less. Besides, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Keep up the great show. I really enjoy each episode and always look forward to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Welcome to the big time Scott! Hey, let's just be grateful that they didn't show the intro to your ticket to ride episode !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

(all except for the first entry in the "Here's some games Scott likes to play" part...that just hurt.)

It's all about raising awareness, and if a lampooning is what it takes, well, I'll take it.

Scott

p.s. It's still pretty weird to be seeing me up in mainstream(ish) media outlets like this.

Glad you have a sense of humor!

The guy was mediocre, but some of his lines were pretty funny.

The German Heritage Clothing comment was funny, I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

Scott

Well, vlogging like what this guy was doing isn't exactly the most unnerdy thing out there. That's akin to RPGers and boardgamers being ridiculed by video gamers and Fantasy Sports Geeks.

snicholson wrote:

Now THAT'S relative; Google Current isn't exactly mainstream like, say, CNN or ESPN or the Big Four are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How dare he accuse you of playing Monopoly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting Scott's now sworn off lederhosen in perpetuity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*yawn*

Not even almost amusing. I'd much rather watch you, Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you keep your blinds closed Scott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the universe suddenly inverted? Was that Ben Stein's talentless little nephew? Carl's video could have only been made more horrific if he had given the peace sign at the end and said, "Carl out!"

Shivers of sympathetic embarrassment travel up and down my spine. That guy should *not* be making parody videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Make sure you keep your blinds closed Scott.

You know what's funny about this...

Just this morning, I was outside the house filming the opening scenes for the next episode, and after running around the yard (much in the way an idiot would, actually), I look up, and a neighbor I never met is standing there, smoking a cigarette, just looking.

I went over and chatted with him about what I was doing; I'm not sure what he thought.

(and when you see what I was wearing, well, you'll get a real laugh out of this story...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Mechanism crack: funny. Rest: lame.

You're right about any publicity being good publicity - and for board games, I wouldn't even classify this as bad publicity. I mean, do you think viewers actually trust that guy?

Ditto on the Indonesia thing, so thank you, but a pox on you as well. It's expensive!

Anyway, keep up the good work. Maybe you could do Roads and Boats sometime? Your video reviews are extremely valuable for these larger ticket items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was pretty funny, the guy having no personality only made it more so, IMO. Anyway, thanks for the link and keep up the good work Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two points:

1. I had never heard of Google Current before reading your post.

2. Listening from another room, my wife asked, "Was that suposed to be funny?"

By the way, I never saw that guy's wrists. I think he may have been receiving a blood transfusion during the report. Another theory is that the guy was scheduled for a colorectal exam, but the anesthesiologist accidentally deadened the wrong end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I didn't even know about Current.TV before this. So looking closer to understand the frames of narrative here:

Current.TV is a cable channel/netowrk that aims to show "profiles of interesting people on the rise, intelligence on trends as they spring up around us, and international news from new perspectives." Google Current is a half hour show on this network that is driven by what people are searching for on Google. Evidently, because of the holidays, people have been searching for board games. No surprise there.

So on the Google Current show they have this irony-crutch wielding zombie, Carl Weaver, who has a vlog, "The Wonderful World of Vlogging", that reviews other vlogs. The vlog that he reviews is our much beloved BGWS. And of course, after so many narrative frames (CurrentTV>GoogleCurrent>Carl Weaver (TWWOV)>Scott>These Game of Ours) its not surprising that it comes out all chopped up, deconstructed and of course ridiculed.

What am I saying exactly? I think the obscure lengths that were gone through to ridicule gamers who helpfully review games are more ridiculous than what they thought they were ridiculing in the first place.

This whole thing is really ridiculous!

Keep on truckin' Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
They did manage to have some games in a wicker basket at the end, so it's not a total loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.